Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

which electronics?

Posted by dgs2001 
which electronics?
June 30, 2012 04:32AM
Hi all
Having met a darwin at the Cheltenham Science Festival some years ago I am in the process of sourcing parts for my first ever prussa build smiling smiley

I am happy with the mechanics and the build process, however am unsure which electronics to go for.

I am currently thinking of buying a pre soldered and tested PrintrBoard loaded with the latest Marlin firmware, and wondered whether anybody uses this board, or what people would recommend?

Thanks dgs
Re: which electronics?
June 30, 2012 05:05AM
I don't know anything about the PrintrBoard but having preloaded firmware is not really a selling point. It has to be configured for the actual machine, so you need to learn how to compile and load the firmware yourself.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 30, 2012 05:09AM
thanks nophead

I think the electronics is going to be a steep learning curve.

dgs
July 01, 2012 06:46PM
Electronics is a part of the machine. It's the part making printing possible. Milling machines existed before digital stuff was invented.

For some ideas: [reprap.org] and [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 01, 2012 08:45PM
Are you comfortable around a soldering iron?

If so, I'd look at Gen7, Ramps & Sanguinololu.

If not, you can also get Ramps & Sanguinololu assembled. Check this thread: [forums.reprap.org]

Even though I've been swinging a soldering iron since the 70's, I went with a Gen6 for my first system. Decent electronics, noisy & lacks heated bed support, but I wanted to get the system up and running as quickly as possible. I plan to 'upgrade' to Sanguinololu soon.

Thingiverse ID Alan1279
July 02, 2012 06:19PM
Hmm Thanks

I have a soldering iron smiling smiley haven't used it for a while but the temperature dial still seems to work.

I'm just not the greatest at soldering small things, I'm a plumber so normally solder bigger stuff with a nice big flame smiling smiley

I'm planning on trying to keep my 10 year old interested in this 'project' and my concern is that her enthusiasm will fade if the big switch on amounts to nothing more than the proverbial fizzle fizzle pop !
July 03, 2012 02:42AM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know anything about the PrintrBoard but
> having preloaded firmware is not really a selling
> point. It has to be configured for the actual
> machine, so you need to learn how to compile and
> load the firmware yourself.

I think this is a bit of a misnoma.

The board comes with firmware preloaded and everything
else like Thread travel, Extruder & Bed temperatures is menu
driven using open source software - all can be dowloaded from
links on this site as zip files that unzip and compile themselves.
Provides Fan & Heated Bed output.

Latest version is "F" - just better parts, still on the "C" board.

If you have the option of getting the plugs and leads for it - DO IT!
I found them difficult to source, [Molex KK .100 Range]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2012 03:23AM by Scrachbuilder.
July 03, 2012 12:17PM
I was kind of thinking that I would be able to plug it in and use pronterface / slic3r to calibrate it all.
July 04, 2012 05:32AM

I'm just not the greatest at soldering small things, I'm a plumber so normally solder bigger stuff with a nice big flame

A soldering flame might be still a bit too big, but soldering a Gen7 doesn't require a microscope either: [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 04, 2012 11:24PM
What about PrintrBoard? it seems to have some nice features like in-built SD card and stepper drivers?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login