Insane stepper motor speeds

Posted by Yvan256 
Insane stepper motor speeds
June 21, 2012 09:00PM
Not sure if this has already been posted, but IMHO this is crazy fast:
A Better DIY Stepper Motor Driver
Re: Insane stepper motor speeds
June 21, 2012 10:09PM
Using decent drivers with the right voltage most NEMA23 steppers top out at about 1000 RPM, that would equate to about 800mm/second.
NEMA17's should run even faster because of the smaller mass. Most printers don't run anything near optimum voltage and that greatly reduces the maximum speed.
June 22, 2012 03:17AM
Crazy fast? This is what RepRap electronics can do since ... over a year? See [vimeo.com] The electronics used in the video was a Generation 2 Electronics, featuring an ATmega168.

Stepper speed is limited by the available motor voltage and with microstepping, by the efficiency of the controlling processor. In the YouTube video he claims a step rate of 25'000 steps/second, which is roughly what current RepRap firmwares reach, too. Not with one axis, but with four of them, synchronized.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 22, 2012 07:16AM
The demo had no load. I think the torque would be so low at that speed that it couldn't drive much.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
VDX
June 24, 2012 05:09PM
... I have three of this drivers: [www.imshome.com]

The biggest problem with them is - where to find a controller capable of 10MHz stepping frequency confused smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 10, 2012 07:33PM
VDX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... I have three of this drivers:
> [www.imshome.com]
>
> The biggest problem with them is - where to find a
> controller capable of 10MHz stepping frequency confused smiley

I'd suggest using a FPGA. Generating 10MHz is pretty easy for them, since sub 10ns parts are widely available and inexpensive.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login