Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help with bootloader (Gen6 + others) - Need a numpies guide spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by JNOD 
Help with bootloader (Gen6 + others) - Need a numpies guide spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
May 28, 2012 02:04PM
Hi guys,

I am new to this but will be posting tons of questions shortly. Reason being, I have just bought a load of bare pcbs and all the parts and started making. I am making gen3, gen4, gen6, gen7, ramps, sang you name it. I want to understand how it all works rather than just buy something ready made, so I figured if I tried to make a few different types, by the end I would know the lot. I know a bit about fabricating boards and have doen a lot of research here so my questions now turn to software.

I got pcbs for most of the list above and am just about to make my gen6 board. Once its made, I will need to program it.

So the questions is, when I built the gen6 board, what do I do next?

I already own a Pickit 2, Arduino mega 1260 and 2560 (chinese clones) and a cheap usb -> ttl programmer. So far, I haven't even plugged any of these programmers into my pc or downloaded any software what so ever.

I have already had a look through the forum but can't find a proper numties guide, that says you have to install X then do Y, plug this into Z, click ? Sorry if I sound lazy, thats not really the case, I am just very green to the software side of it.

I am using a PC running XP, but am looking out for a cheap Mac mini, would this all be easier if I had a Mac? anyway, for now assume I am running XP.

Any help, would be immensly appreciated. I will be posting every day for the next few weeks why I try out making all those boards, and look forward to speaking to you guys.

Thanks in advance!!!
Re: Help with bootloader (Gen6 + others) - Need a numpies guide spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
May 28, 2012 02:17PM
Oh, an afterthought, what colour are the LEDS on gen6 supposed to be?

LED1 = Debug - RED?
LED2 = Power - Green?
LED3 = HEAT - Green?

Also, assume I want to connect to pc using USB, do I leave the solder jumpers SD1 and SD2 both clear, or do I need to close one?

Thanks
Re: Help with bootloader (Gen6 + others) - Need a numpies guide spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
May 29, 2012 06:16AM
Dunno about Gen6, but Gen7 setup starts about here: [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 03, 2012 12:35PM
Thanks traumflug,

I'll try using a usbtiny.

Am I right in thinking that having the ftdi chip means I only have to upload the bootloader through the isp connecter? After that its all done via usb right? What software do I use to upload the firmware to the board?

Any ideas or comments on the other questions?

Cheers
June 03, 2012 04:59PM

Am I right in thinking that having the ftdi chip means I only have to upload the bootloader through the isp connecter?

A bootloader can be uploaded via ISP only (and other, even more weird processes), independent of wether you have an FTDI or not.

After that its all done via usb right?

It's done via the serial line, which is connected to the FTDI USB-TTL converted, so yes, about right.

What software do I use to upload the firmware to the board?

Usually, Arduino IDE. Some firmwares, like Teacup, can upload via a Makefile, too.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login