Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

(SOLVED) New wolfstrap with gen 6 and problems

Posted by rotinaj13 
(SOLVED) New wolfstrap with gen 6 and problems
May 17, 2012 07:18PM
I just got my wolfstrap complete and started to test it the other night.. needless to say I ran into some issues. For instance the X and Y axis motos were getting hot even though they were not being sent commands to move, turning the pots did nothing for that. The Z axis and extruder are staying cool to the touch. I can move the X and Y axis .1 1 -.1 and -1 but if I try for a longer move they stutter and will not move. It is a make mendel board and off hand I do not know what firmware it was loaded with, it was preloaded. I am using repsnapper to interface with it. The stepper motors are all Japan Servo Co Type KH42JM2B140E. Current 1.2A Voltage 5.16V 1.8 deg / step I believe these are about 29 oz/in uni-polar & 33.5 oz/in bi-polar. In addition my Z axis will only move down it will not move back. I tested x and y with an extra motor and it moves on both the X and Y header. The drive system uses metal pullies with t5 belts. I am just baffled why it moves on the small movements but will not do anything on the big movements...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2012 10:20PM by rotinaj13.
Re: New wolfstrap with gen 6 and problems
May 18, 2012 06:28PM
It's remarkable how many people buy "firmware preloaded" without even knowing what type of firmware that is. I'm tempted to ask you to discuss your issues with this vendor. He got your money, so he should support you.

Aside from this temptation, the obvious first step is to upload a known firmware.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 19, 2012 12:03PM
Traumflug,
lol Sorry the n00b question lol. I believe it is fiveD that is loaded on the board. I didn't really buy the board due to the firmware being preloaded since my reprap is not cut from their mold I will have to configure it and tweak it till it fits my reprap any how. It was simply the cheapest option and being a reformed college student (broke adult) that made the most sense. I have looked into different firmwares and have 5 on my pc atm. Can I upload the firmware to it without tinyusbisp programmer? I have ready that through arduino 0022 I can upload via the usb cable? In addition is it correct in saying that the 0022 build supports sanguino so you do not have to download the extions and put it in the hardware directory any more? Honestly I feel my problem is with the motors being enabled even when not in use so that it hold the X and Y axis in place, I think this current is heating my motors up and the heat causes them to miss steps (168 oF). Traumflug I appreciate any help you are willing to offer as I struggle up this learning curve! Just out of curiosity which firmware would you recommend? I have been reading about them but have not had enough experience to determine which is best to start with and which is best for the advance user to tweak in to an ultra accurate system. Thank you!
May 20, 2012 05:50AM

I believe it is fiveD that is loaded on the board.

As FiveD doesn't support setting steps per mm after firmware uploading, you have to upload another and/or differently configured firmware anyways.

It was simply the cheapest option

Unlikely. The cheapest option is to solder an electronics DIY. Sanguinololu is available as DIY kits and Gen7 is even designed for etching/milling the board in your kitchen.

Can I upload the firmware to it without tinyusbisp programmer?

If there's a bootloader on this ATmega, yes. To find out, you have to try.

is it correct in saying that the 0022 build supports sanguino

With sanguino extensions, yes. If you want the newer Arduino 1.0, you need to install the Gen7 Arduino IDE Support package: [reprap.org] . These instructions work for an Gen6, too.

my problem is with the motors being enabled even when not in use

With FiveD firmware, this is expected.

Just out of curiosity which firmware would you recommend?

Teacup Firmware, of course. This is the one I maintain and I still consider it to me the one with the best code design, even if not the most feature-rich. Undoubtly, others will recommend Marlin.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 20, 2012 10:41AM
Traumflug,
I do appreciate your time and help assisting me with this. I assure you I am working on the learning curve. I backed up my org. firmware as a hex file with avrdude just to be on the safe side. I then flashed with Marlin, I was planning on uploading it again this morning since it was like 4 am when i did my last upload and attempted to drive the printer. I was using repsnapper 3.52 to connect to this printer but after the upload i could no longer connect. I am pretty sure this is due to the baud rate being 250000 instead of 19200 which i was going to test with a new upload. Pronterface can connect but when i click the band to move an axis I do not see it sending gcode to the printer. This might be my inexperience with Pronterface since it was the first time I ever used it last night. I did install all the python extensions and such then found the compiled version of it lol! I will download teacup and check it out! I was doing my upload with arduino 0022 with the extensions put in the hardware folder, worked great! And yes buying an etched board was cheaper but if memory serves the diy method was like 75 dollars an I paid 130 total for the gen 6 which had the opto's, resister, thermistor and such. My next board will be diy due to following your PCB milling thread and frankly that is my next stop when the printer is working correctly. Thank you again!!
May 20, 2012 10:19PM
I was not having a lot of luck with Marlin but I have sprinter loaded on it right now and have been making adjustments. I think it is safe to say I have the procedure of opening, modifying, saving, compiling and uploading the firmware down pat right now lol. I have been getting some testing done with it thus far. Atm I have everything working just about correctly. I have my y and z axis working great within .5mm of the distance I tell it to go and they are going the right way with the end stops working. My X axis was working good but then started to skip steps. I am working to debug this but will most likely leave it till i get off work tomorrow. I appreciate your help and understand your frustration over such a newbie issue that i can see i will be an expert at by the time this printer is calibrated and working correctly! Just out of curiosity does Marlin not like repsnapper? After i loaded sprinter it connected and took off. I might mess with other firmwares down the road. Right now I just want to get it working reliably so I can print the parts to build my reprap smiling smiley Thank you again for your help!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login