Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I´d like to do myself a PCB for a printer 3D RepRap. I need guidance please.

Posted by pigmalion 
I´d like to do myself a PCB for a printer 3D RepRap. I need guidance please.
April 16, 2012 07:51AM
Greetings to everyone. It is a pleasure and an honor to be part of this community.

I'ma person who loves electronics, although I haven´t much knowledge.

I would like to make a PCB for a RepRap 3D printer that controls it perfectly,
in order to learn as much as possible.
The concept is the acronym DIY (do it yourself).

If any of you would be so kind to give me advice guidance on that, i would be gratefull :

- What is the best choice easier for what I want? (I have no experience with PCB').

- How I can become the complete kit (including software and tools as multimeter welder ect ect ....).

- Can you give me an estimate about how much can cost me everything?.

Best wishes to everybody :-).
If you actually want to make the PCB then Gen7 is likely the best choice as it is a single sided design. You could use a toner transfer method and then etch the board with whatever etchant is available in your area.

If you just want to assemble and solder a kit then Gen7, Sanguinololu, and RAMPS are all available unfinished with PCB and parts.

You will likely spend around $20-$30 on a soldering iron if you want a good one with temperature control.

A multimeter is also about $20, though you can get one for less and a cheap one will do fine if all you are doing is checking traces and troubleshooting.

With all of the above you'll need to buy the Pololu drivers separately if they are not provided in the kit.

Kit is likely about $60 for the PCB and components for any of the above
Pololu drivers are 4X$15 so about $60
Re: I´d like to do myself a PCB for a printer 3D RepRap. I need guidance please.
April 17, 2012 03:53AM
Thank you very much bryanandaimee for the precise and very interesting information.

Best wishes smiling smiley.
Re: I´d like to do myself a PCB for a printer 3D RepRap. I need guidance please.
April 20, 2012 09:05PM
Just a heads up. If you have issues with connections with your PCB or chip issues, I'm finding it very hard to figure out whats wrong. Mostly because of my lack of experience. So if worst case scenario you may get stuck and have to spend endless amount of time or give up like me and buy an assembled board.... But I'm hoping your scenario works out!
just like jininjin said, it'll end up costing you more in the end if you're new to building them rather than just finding a small place to make it for you. I usually burn hot smiley myself anyway. I use pcb solutions, personally but something like that the won't make you feel like you're inconveniencing them with you small order is best. winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login