Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

24v to 12v dc power regulator/convertor

Posted by foshon 
24v to 12v dc power regulator/convertor
April 03, 2012 07:13AM
I have aquired an industrial 24v power supply. It can run at 20 amps. I would like to use it to power my Gen7 electronics with a heated bed. I looked at getting a 24v to 12v converter, but that doesn't help me with the need for dual voltage outputs. As an alternative I have been thinging about just powering the hotend and heated bed with the industrial unit.

Is there a fairly simple DIY solution for either of these?
Re: 24v to 12v dc power regulator/convertor
April 04, 2012 05:12AM
You don't need one: the "12V" on a Gen7 can be up to 35V (just don't touch it while it's on).

You do also need 5V, but only at a low current (for the ATmega and other logic), so the USB port or a cheap voltage regulator should suffice for this.
April 05, 2012 06:52AM
Thank you for your response. What would be the best way to implement this? Can I run the output of my 24v unit to just the connections running on 12v now?

As for the 5v signal, since I leave my usb connected all the time, I assume that I would just switch the power option on the Gen7 to usb power for that side of the system, or is there more to it than that?

Neil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 06:53AM by foshon.
April 12, 2012 03:28AM
You can hook up the 24v directly, but be careful. This will make the hot end and heated bed (if you have one) draw much more power. It will also destroy any 12v fans you have hooked up, so you will need 24v fans.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login