Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Universal stripboard

Posted by Joost 
Universal stripboard
April 06, 2007 02:45AM
Hey all,

Due to the lack of PCB making skills & materials I have set myself to making the Universal board on an ordinary stripboard (26 x 38 holes, 2,54 mm spacing). To make things easier (for me and others), I have drawn up a picture that wil fit one-on-one on this board , containing the holes to be drilled, components (and markings), text and additional wiring. Print it and stick it on the board and it should be rather easy to actually put it together, also by less-skilled-in-electronics people.

My question is whether there are others that are interested in this [maybe some additional review is required], in which case I can post it here (or somewhere)

And yes, I know the Universal PCB can be ordered very soon, but I just can't wait ... ;-) !

Joost
Re: Universal stripboard
April 06, 2007 09:16AM
sure, why not post it up here... that type of thing is always useful =)
April 06, 2007 10:42AM
That's good. Having a stripboard layout that is an alternative to commercially produced PCB's will encourage others to improve the board design.
April 16, 2007 08:14AM
Hi - I'd love to see that
April 16, 2007 09:10PM
The universal stripboard version isn't a far stretch from the original. I made the original (for the 754410) and migrated it to the universal (still 754410) and added Adrian's led and everything. No worries just be careful of the new pin assignments. I had to move 4 of them around I think.
April 16, 2007 11:49PM
cool! if you're interested in making this 'fancy'.... here are the vector graphics that vik used to make them. it would really rock if these could be updated to be the current version of the boards. it seems stripboard would be much easier to get than a pcb, also, it would be fairly easy to etch a custom 'pre-cut' stripboard to match the circuits.

quoting vik:

It's just done with SVG. I used Inkscape, and put the components,
stripboard, cuts etc. on different layers. By unlocking one layer at a
time, you can neatly stack stuff.

The SVG files are in the subversion repository, e.g.
trunk/reprap/miscellaneous/Electronics/StepperStripboardTop_UDN2559.svg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2007 11:51PM by Zach Hoeken.
April 17, 2007 12:21AM
Oh good! A subversion address instead of a link. How useful! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Re: Universal stripboard - update
April 27, 2007 04:30AM
Well, it did take a bit longer then I planned, but here is the stripboard design. It seems a bit messy, and though I have double and triple checked it, it would be good if someone else confirms that this does not result in smoking PIC's or injuries. I have not build it yet, thus it is NOT TESTED

The attached PDF file contains 2 pictures. One for drilling some holes to cut the strips on the stripboard; the other outlines the components and connections to be made. When printed 1:1, it should (more or less) fit on a stripboard and can then be used as a template (see attached image as well) for both.

The file was created in Visio, but can easily be converted to SVG. Adding some colors to make placing components (i.e. resistors) easier is ofcourse also an option.

Ane feedback/comments?

Joost

ps the image was an older version; I am aware that the PIC thingy is not positioned correctly...
Attachments:
open | download - Visio-RepRap stripboard designs.pdf (119 KB)
open | download - stripb.jpg (40.5 KB)
April 27, 2007 11:29AM
That looks really good, Joost. What did you use to generate those graphics?
April 27, 2007 11:36AM
"The file was created in Visio, but can easily be converted to SVG."
April 27, 2007 11:36AM
Hey Forest,

I used Microsoft's Visio. Works well for this; I have unfortunately not been able to find a suitable open source program (yet) with which you can create diagrams (but if anyone knows one I'll "translate" the files).

Joost
April 27, 2007 12:10PM
I think I've got Visio on my other PC. Thanks!
May 23, 2007 02:32AM
Have you tried Dia and Kivio as "Visio alternatives"? www.koffice.org/kivio [www.koffice.org] and live.gnome.org/Dia [live.gnome.org]

Jonathan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login