Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Almost there, electrionics holding me up a bit though

Posted by twelvexii 
Almost there, electrionics holding me up a bit though
December 12, 2011 08:25PM
Alright, I am working on a basic Prusa Mendel, have the mechanics built. Swung by Best Buy to pick up a PC power supply and had apparently written another 0 on the reqs, so picked up a 12V 600W power supply rather than a 60W, and didn't realize my mistake til I had cut it up a bit. Can I just use it or will it blow something out.
I've been dreading getting to the electronics stage because I'm not very good with them, I'm more a mechanical man. I was expecting the wiring of the electronics but didn't realize how involved the power supply was going to be. I was hoping for more of a "Hey, just stick a yellow and black wire in and you're good to go," not the rather involved process the instructions imply. I'm not even sure what the majority of it does : /
Re: Almost there, electrionics holding me up a bit though
December 13, 2011 01:53AM
Sometimes it's a good idea to tell people what you're talking about. What machine, what electronics, which instructions telling you to fiddle with the power supply, what makes you think 60 watts are sufficient and so on.

The maximum output power capabilities of a power supply doesn't matter as long as it's higher than required and the voltage is right.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

December 13, 2011 06:56AM
I'm building a Prusa Mendel using Gen6 electronics.
[reprap.org] for instructions on fiddling with the power supply under "Building an affordable power supply."
[reprap.org] for specifications on what kind of power supply.
December 14, 2011 03:09AM
- 60W is sufficient if you don't use a heated bed (or supply this bed by other means).

- Your power supply is oversized, but should work.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

December 15, 2011 11:48AM
Of course an ATX supply will have most of it's rated power on the 3.3V and 5V lines so 600 watt is really only 200 watt or so on the 12 V line. You don't have to mount connectors to power supply case as in the instructions, you can just connect a yellow wire and a black wire to the supply input of the gen6 board. Yellow is +12V and black is ground. You will also likely need more of a load on the 5V (red) line than it says in the instructions. And some way to control the power on line of the ATX connector.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login