Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I Need to Add a Dummy Load to a Generator Output

Posted by jacketfan 
I Need to Add a Dummy Load to a Generator Output
December 07, 2011 08:25PM
This 1600 watt inverter generator is shipping to Haiti ASAP, and I need some help. The "economy" throttle mode automatically ramps up the rpm's as the load increases, and results in a fuel savings, as opposed to letting it run at full speed all the time. The problem is that it doesn't run smoothly unless it has about 800 watts applied to it. At small loads, it hunts, surges, and blips of for an instant every minute or two before it surges back to fast speed, slows down, and starts all over again. I started adding my wife's hair curlers, etc, into the circuit until the total got up to around 800 watts. The rpm's gradually picked up until it smoothed out when the load reached about 800w. That was still much slower than turning off the "economy" mode and letting it run full out, and will still save a lot of fuel.

Our mission will mostly use it to power a few light bulbs, and maybe a small amplifier, but that will still be well below the magic 800w number, which means I would need to dial in some dummy wattage in a way that would be easy for the Haitians. Sometimes, we will use it with a projector, and that should pull enough power to work just fine. I need some kind of variable resistance device or rheostat that I can just plug into one of the outputs and crank it up until the rpm's smooth out. I saw an 800w soldering iron rheostat, but am not sure how to make it work without something plugged into it. Would you just short out the two plug slots so the resistance could enter the circuit, or would something blow by doing it that way. I was looking at some light dimmers, but just need some help with this one. We have a team going in January, and it needs to be there waiting on them. I have run it in and am doing the first oil change here before I send it. It would be nice to have the variable device working so I could send it along with some instructions. Any ideas guys and gals?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login