Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Did I just burn out my heater resistor?

Posted by wanderingjew 
Did I just burn out my heater resistor?
December 03, 2011 07:13PM
Alright, here's my setup: Regular Prusa, sanguinolilo board, Budaschnozzle hot end and an XBox 360 power supply.

I've already tested out each part of the build independently (all motors work, the thermistor works, and the heater resistor *did* work). I just got done re-wiring everything to clean things up.

Right now I've got a situation. Whenever I set the temp of the hot end in ReplicatorG, the power supply cuts out. This power supply has worked for everything before (it's 203 watts), so I don't know what the deal is here.
Re: Did I just burn out my heater resistor?
December 04, 2011 03:59AM
Yupp, sounds like a short somewhere. Does the PSU still black out with heater and/or thermistor disconnected?

A resistance meter will help. Should be about 6 ohms between both pins of the heater and > 1 megaohms between each of the pins and the heater block/nozzle.

Similar for the thermistor, 100 kiloohms instead of 6 ohms.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Re: Did I just burn out my heater resistor?
June 27, 2012 09:07PM
Make sure you didn't wire your hot end with the wires in the wrong housing positions, and also make sure none of the wires are touching inside of the head, I made that mistake earlier today and kept short circuiting the PSU, making it shut itself off.eye rolling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login