Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fire Cement anyone?

Posted by schulz 
Fire Cement anyone?
July 24, 2011 02:07AM
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering, does anyone know, where i can get some fire cement for my extruder head? I have the Archol.hu print head, but the cement I got with that is already dry, or almost dry and unusable.

any help would be awesome! smiling smiley

Thanks!

Schulz
Re: Fire Cement anyone?
July 24, 2011 02:44AM
I got some from Barbeques Galore. It's called Black Patch Stove Putty (it's just grey fire cement) rated to 1400 deg c. Comes in a 400g tub.

Dave
July 24, 2011 06:26AM
Be wary of anything at Bunnings, they sell a few different brands of cheap fire-proof composite sealants (e.g. Selley's Fireblock) but if you read the fine print you'll note they're only fire-rated for a few hours and at a certain minimum thickness. I've been unable to find any specs on how they perform at typical extrusion temps.

Whatever you do don't use JB Weld (available at Jaycar). The manufacturers claim it can "withstand" constant temps up to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C) but I've tried it in a number of different applications and found that although that seems to be the case, repeated thermal cycling eventually causes it to crack and break apart. It's also rather expensive.

Acting on a tip from Cefiar I use Fireup Pyrogrip which is a high-temp sodium silicate based adhesive. Penhalluriacks in Caulfield sell it, it wasn't on the shelf when I went in but they had some out back. Works well and is rated at 1200 degrees C but only comes in a 500g cylinder at a relatively pricey $20.
July 30, 2011 08:35PM
Sweet! Thanks guys, bbq galore it is!

Schulz
July 31, 2011 02:09AM
I gave the Moorabin store a call today and they said they no longer have it sad smiley They said they do have fire mortor but no fire putty. She didn't seem to know if they had stopped stocking it or just didn't have some at the moment.
August 01, 2011 09:20PM
I hear NASA have some spare heat resistant tiles going cheap winking smiley
February 04, 2013 05:18AM
It's a high temperature clay that is used to make or repair fireplaces or boiler brick arches.
Sarset is a known make also hawk is vaguely remembered.

HEAT RESISTANT PLASTER
July 23, 2013 09:07AM
schulz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Guys,
>
> I was just wondering, does anyone know, where i
> can get some fire cement for my extruder head? I
> have the Archol.hu print head, but the cement I
> got with that is already dry, or almost dry and
> unusable.
>
> any help would be awesome! smiling smiley
>
> Thanks!
>
> Schulz

Try Vitcas.com - you could buy it online.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login