Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building an inflatable wing: I need ideas where to source materials

Posted by RyanHendrickson 
I am trying to find mylar and a couple different types of two part foam.

The plan is to make a spar out of a cylinder of mylar and foam to put braces on. Any suggestions would be very nice.
Re: Building an inflatable wing: I need ideas where to source materials
August 19, 2009 10:20AM
Mylar is not too hard to find. You might be able to use those aluminized emergency blankets (although I can't remember if they're made of mylar or polyester).

[en.wikipedia.org]

These are very cheap and easy to find.

An unflatable cylindrical spar is an interesting idea, but they tend to 'kink' under load, unless the cylinder is fat or the pressure is very high. You might consider investigating the principle of tensairity if you encounter stiffness problems.
[en.wikipedia.org]

PS: Are you planning to do fabbing with this?
August 23, 2009 04:14PM
I know mylar gets used in gardening applications, to reflect the light at the walls of greenhouses, especially if artificial light gets used. The only places i know of that sell the stuff comes back from the days where i was growing my own hemp indoors, most growshops sold that stuff.
August 24, 2009 08:15AM
That would be industrial hemp, right? winking smiley
August 24, 2009 08:32PM
The best place to get mylar is walmart or a camping store in the form of space blankets. Also would love to hear more about his inflatable wing.
We got something called durarlar.... Not mylar but my professor swears that it is. We currently have a couple successful tests. I may be able to post some videos of it. I just need to edit them some.
September 11, 2009 09:47PM
Ryan,

Google is your friend; learn to use it!
your Dura-Lar is apparently a polyester, as is Mylar, if memory serves.
I suspect your professor is correct; Mylar is a trade name, and I suspect that Dura-Lar is also.
Here is an MSDS for Dura-Lar, which gives some composition details:
[www.grafixplastics.com]

HTH,

Larry
December 05, 2009 07:56PM
Depending on what part of the world your in, you can source it from several places. My current favorite is usplastics.com

[www.usplastic.com]
Hello every body , my name is dennis i'm a student come from indonesian can you help me, please? how to get inflatable wing manufacure because there's no in my country. I'm difficult to get the source marerials too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login