Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Online tool for generating Gear Templates

Posted by Squintz 
Online tool for generating Gear Templates
January 28, 2009 09:08AM
[woodgears.ca]

While researching how to properly make my own gears I came across the above website. It allows you to set some paramaters:

Tooth spacing (mm)
Contact angle(deg)
Shaft hole dia. (mm)
Gear 1 teeth
Gear 2 teeth
Printed page width (mm)

It shows you what your gear will look like as you enter new paramaters. You can then print out the gear and use it as a template for making your own from wood, metal, or whatever other material you may want to make your own gear from.

I imagine that gears are pretty important to the accuracy of the reprap machine. So I will probably end up purchasing the laser cut gears instead of making my own.
It would be nice to find some type of gear making Jig. This guy has one (http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/marbles/machine2.html#gears) that he made from an old stepper motor. I'm not sure I understand how it works though.
Re: Online tool for generating Gear Templates
January 28, 2009 09:30AM
Nice find. Mind, there are scripts for Art of Illusion that myself and Enrique Perez have written that generate gear profiles directly. You can access mine at...

[3dreplicators.com]

smileys with beer

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
February 05, 2009 11:19PM
Squintz, this is just exactly what I was looking for about a month ago. I wanted to make a big reducing gear for my wheat grinder, as the gearmotor I have doesn't have quite enough torque. To bad the whole thing's in storage now, along with my partly-functional repstrap, sadly. Definitely a resource to remember for later though. Thank you.

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
April 07, 2009 01:12AM
Thanks, this site is great. i'm more familiar with using solidworks and was having some real difficulty in designing the actual gears for the gear array I designed. This should make my design much easier to create now.

Printable 3d scanner setup is now on it's way!
gear templatescool smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login