Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cricut Automatic Paper Cutter - Hackable?

Posted by jcabrer 
Anyone having any more luck running a trace on the USB output?
My wife recently has bought the Cricut. I currently work in the sign industry and seeing Graphtec had compatible software? I wonder if you use the Windows drivers supplied from the "Sure Cuts A Lot" website and possibly the Adobe Ai plug in from Graphtec. You can run the signal to the Cricut/Plotter from AI as MCL-II language? Will this unit cut right away if a signal is sent from the PC? I have not used the unit yet since she just got it but, I am interested in the hacking end.
There are sure a lot of "sure cuts alot" re-sellers posting to this forum. Sure cuts a lot is just some simple reverse engineering of the Design Studio software. I've got my cricut cutting now, and to the post above, talking to the cricut does not work that way. The commands you send to the cricut are cubic bezier points. There is no need to do the jtag thing unless you plan on re-writing the firmware. THat's how design studio works, since you need a firmware update to your cricut, which then enables you to talk to it through the FTDI chip. Anyways, hope this give you hackers out there some guidance, and less respect for sure cuts a lot since it took me 2 days of playing with it to get things going. BY the way, reverse engineering the sure cuts a lot software is a lot harder, since unless you are good at reading x86 assembler code, its easier to use design studio.
has anyone been able to get to the carts yet? I have been to the cutter, but want to read the cards and determine what modifications take place during the gypsy install
[thepiratebay.org]

I'm just sayin
thesyfyguy
Re: Cricut Automatic Paper Cutter - Hackable?
January 05, 2010 06:45PM
The cricut design studio has a firm ware update for the cricut machines via the usb connection. So this might be the weekness everyone is looking for. Perhaps the design studio software may be the way in to the machines plotter controls.
Another company released Cricut Compatible Software... Make The Cut does the same things as SCAL, but better.

Here is a link to the new Cricut Software
morpheus
January 31, 2010 02:06AM
I have a question for this forum. If for $20 you could buy software that let your cricut cut svg based graphics(i.e adobe illustrator graphics) would there be people that would be interested? I still can't believe people would charge $70 or more for this software, when for $20 its something more reasonable.
February 04, 2010 10:47AM
Hello

I heard there is a way to hack into DESIGN STUDIOS software...The person that made MAKE-THE-CUT software....just did it and he said it was simple...but alas he said he could NOT reveal his secret...but he did mention that the DESIGN STUDIOS does have all the font data..(meaning all the cartridges data)...store on it...sooo if you have the software in your computer and payed for ,then you have all the data right there in front of you....He said that the only way to get your cricut to cut all those cartridges for free is too DEBUG the DESIGN STUDIOS..but alas i do not know how to do that...If anybody knows please put step by step instuctions so all of us can actually enjoy all these cartridges for FREE!!!

He said that when you DEBUG the DS software it makes your CRICUT think that you have all the cartridges but in reality you DO NOT.. He also said that IT CAN BEEEE DONE WITH NOOO PROBLEMSSS.....I think that is really cool...but i am NOT that computer savvy....

IF ANYBODY DOES GET THIS TO WORK FOR THEM PLEASE EMAIL ME WITH STEP BY STEP instuctions.

THANKSSSS email is CATSPURRFECT@GMAIL.COM
INSTALLING ON A NEW COMPUTER
February 05, 2010 08:41PM
If you call them (ProvoCraft), they should be able to walk you thru uninstalling from one computer and installing on the new one. Check the Internet for their phone number under "contact" on the website.
did you ever get the answer to the debug?
a-man
February 09, 2010 11:51PM
Yes i would be interested in software for $20, preferably in the form of a printer driver that would allow me to use my cricut with illustrator.
go to piratebay torrent site for sure cuts alot program and crack no virus
Nancy
February 24, 2010 12:21PM
I bought the SCAL program and I love it, you are only able to install in onto two machine.
jgk
February 24, 2010 02:42PM
morpheus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>... Sure cuts a lot
> is just some simple reverse engineering of the
> Design Studio software. I've got my cricut cutting
> now, and to the post above, talking to the cricut
> does not work that way. The commands you send to
> the cricut are cubic bezier points. ..
> ...Anyways, hope this give you
> hackers out there some guidance, and less respect
> for sure cuts a lot since it took me 2 days of
> playing with it to get things going. BY the way,
> reverse engineering the sure cuts a lot software
> is a lot harder, since unless you are good at
> reading x86 assembler code, its easier to use
> design studio.

Morpheus,
You gotta give CraftEdge some credit. They have a OSX version, so it's not like they used the CricutUSB.dll.
What tools do you prefer for your disassembly? ildasm?, Reflector?
djhotwheel
March 12, 2010 03:45AM
Any more updates on this post?
yeah I am with djhotwheel.... I am stumped with ollydbg software. Somebody told me that you can unlock the Design Studio and make it think we own the entire library of cartridges using ollydbg software. That software is NOT user friendly.
Does anyone know if it is possible to make the cartridges load on more than one Gypsy?? My mom and I both bought a gypsy planning on sharing carts with eachother. If you know how to do this, please let me know!
Thanks!
March 20, 2010 08:39PM
Hi the cricut machine uses cricut cartridges....also you can use inkscape from source.com to make what they call .svg files....the svg files are opened into a program called SCAL2 surecutsalot found at craftedge.com OR you can open the svg file with MTC makethecut found at makethecut.com Two different people have written programs that sell in the open market that can cut .svg files on the cricut thru the usb port....
March 20, 2010 08:45PM
the Cricut Design Studio program is on the computer and talks to the cricut machine thru the usb with the cartridge installed on the cricut...the cartridges are labeled such as Christmas.pcgf......being the file extensions are all PCGF files
Has anyone figured out exactly what is causing the cricut not to recognize a cartridge? Thus it won't cut. I tried different cartridges. I even peered inside and made sure the ribbon connector from the cartridge slot to the mother board is solidly seated. I tried the cartridge backwards, I blew out the dust. Noything changed. After that I just pushed on all of the connectors to be sure they are connected. Provo Craft will replace this unit for $150. Wow! This was going to be a donation to one of the public schools. Now, I don't know. I can buy a new one for what I wiull invest in this one. Any advice would help.

Thanks.confused smiley
Try connecting the pins to unlock george and the basic shapes. If I recall, from the right side, it is pins 2, 3 and 5 that need to be connected.

[www.flickr.com]
There is a simple xml file that contains all the cartridge ownership info. I just changed the false to "true" and now I "own" all the cartridges!
Monica,
The XML file only controls the lists that Design Studio displays, but not whether it cuts or not.
April 23, 2010 05:15PM
Any one make any progress with the ollydbg software?
where is the xml file? Design studio? gypsy? Thanks
wishing
April 25, 2010 04:55PM
Monica Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a simple xml file that contains all the
> cartridge ownership info. I just changed the false
> to "true" and now I "own" all the cartridges!

What is the advantage to doing this?
Monica, what did you use to decode the xml file?
bug
April 26, 2010 02:46PM
I'm assuming ollydbg...but how and where do we make those changes?

Pretty please and Thanks in advance Monica! winking smiley

wow! 45,000+ views to this thread...
The advantage to doing this, is that you never have to buy a cartridge again, and the software thinks that you did and lets you cut the designs out of Design Studio
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login