Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nozzle crushes print at end of every run

Posted by danieljabailey 
July 16, 2011 10:31AM

I recently updated my host software as the old 64 bit windows version was buging me (excuse the pun) It seems that with the latest host software on linux (version 2011 - 05 - 09) that the gcode files produced have at the end some code to make the extruder move towards the bed and therefore half-crush-half-melt the printed object.

I have tried generating several files after one of my prints was destroyed and each one has a line near the end that says something like this...
;#!layer 41/40
it says the this object (x axis motor bracket in this case) is 40 layers, so 41 layers is one too many, surely?
and there is also a line that simply says...
G1 Z1.0 ;z move
the above is the next movement after the layer 41/40 comment.
a few lines down and you see this:
G1 Z0.0 ;z move
(Crush it even more, talk about adding insult to injury!)
The lines just before this look like any others, they just set up a new layer. The lines after are all fine too.

I know that I could simply figure out the correct values for this z movement or remove the "layer 41" but I think that this is a bug in the software that could affect others (and their prints).

What is the best way to go about solving the problem?
Re: Nozzle crushes print at end of every run
July 16, 2011 11:33AM
It might be a good idea to try switching off plug-ins one at a time and see if the problem still exists. I've found that Filet causes odd behaviour occasionally.

JB

--
Check out my blog: AdventuresIn3-DPrinting
July 16, 2011 12:29PM
How do I disable plugins in the reprap host software? What is this "Filet" that you speak of?
July 16, 2011 09:52PM
Sorry, thinking you were using Skeinforge to generate the Gcode. I'd suggest switching tools, you'll get better quality prints.

JB

--
Check out my blog: AdventuresIn3-DPrinting
July 17, 2011 02:20AM
I have had a look at Skeinforge but found that it was ridiculously overcomplicated, I only need something simple for my Reprap use.
I'm sure I cannot be the only one with this problem as it happens to every GCode file I make with the software, unmodified, with almost all preferences at the default (only the temperatures are different I think, I haven't tuned them much yet at all).
July 19, 2011 10:56PM
I also recommend using Skeingforge instead of the reprap host to generate g-code. There are plenty of information on this forum, including settings, to get you started. It's really worth learning how to use it. To send the g-code to the printer, you can use Pronterface which is part of Kliment's Printrun. What electronics are you running?
July 20, 2011 02:26AM
brnrd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also recommend using Skeingforge instead of the
> reprap host to generate g-code. There are plenty
> of information on this forum, including settings,
> to get you started. It's really worth learning how
> to use it. To send the g-code to the printer, you
> can use Pronterface which is part of Kliment's
> Printrun. What electronics are you running?

So could you give me a link (or links) to some good information or tutorials on how to use skeinforge? it will need to start with the very VERY basics because it has me baffled (and that takes some doing! grinning smiley) with the worst UI in the world (unless you count Microsoft office 2007 grinning smiley).

I was expecting to find in skeinforge a graphical representation of the print bed where I could position the items I want to print wherever I want on the bed (like in the java host), is there something like this that I just missed?

I have been using pronterface to send gcodes anyway as the host has trouble doing it (as with many things it seems), maybe the Reprap team should spend time developing a nice UI for skeinforge then promote that rather than the host?

And I am using gen 6 electronics with slightly customised firmware.
August 23, 2011 11:22PM
So I've actually had the same problem, and I was using the reprape host software to make gcodes, I got the same behavior. My printer does a layer, then returns to origin on all axis'. When the Z axis returns to origin it unfortunately squishes any thing you printed if it's over 10 layers or so. I'm also looking into using skeinforge, and like it was aforementioned, I'd want to use it with a GUI. Luckily replicatorG has a GUI and a skeinforge converter built in! UNFORTUNATELY THE ONLY MACHINE PROFILES ARE MAKERBOT PROFILES. I swear those assholes just take everything from the reprap project. So you will have to find a profile to make gcodes with in skeinforge. Other than that, it solves your skeinforge/GUI problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login