Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

need help finding a code segment

Posted by Suerjugy 
need help finding a code segment
March 15, 2011 02:31PM
Hi. i know the main program for reprap is made in Java. but i wanted to make an application in LabVIEW that does the same thing. this can simplify the electronics in a way since all the motor control and processing can be made in the same PC and just output the signals and do a power circuit to make those signals available for motors since obviously computer signals don't have enough power to feed all the hardware. anyway, the thing is that i can load an STL in LabVIEW and see it in 3D but now i want to cut it down in layers, the next step would be to make those layers to Gcode and finally to control the motors. the thing is that i was browsing through the Java code but i cant seem to find the bit of code that makes that 3D object into layers. i'm no Java expert but i have used it, but i really cant seem to find it. can anyone point me in the right direction? i really don't want to use 3rd party software to convert STL to GCode and then just read it in LabVIEW, it can be done and would be quicker but where is the fun of it? XD thanks in advance.

SuperJugy (i know my nick says suerjugy but it was a typo while i registered)
Re: need help finding a code segment
March 15, 2011 04:21PM

[...] in LabVIEW that does the same thing. this can simplify the electronics [...]

You have quite a bit of way ahead, SuperJugy. You not only want to create stepper signal, you also have to write a G-Code interpreter (or something similar), implement stepper motor acceleration and things like that. Slicing STLs isn't trivial either, as the strategy of laying paths into each layer decides wether you get good results or just junk.

If your main goal is to replace the RepRap controller with the PC, you probably want to also have a look at EMC2, which has all this stepper motor stuff already implemented. It runs G-Code already, which RepRap Host or Skeinforge or similar applications can produce. A number of people do so successfully already, they even have their own subforum.

Regarding slicing, you could also watch out for applications named Skeinforge, Repsnapper or ReplicatorG, which might be written in a language better suited to be understand quickly. Skeinforge is the "expert" tool with the best slicing results, AFAIK.

(i know my nick says suerjugy but it was a typo while i registered)

Delete the account and try again?

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

March 18, 2011 10:12PM
Well i did consider just making the Gcode interpreter but i want something more flexible so that i cant make something beside just 3D printing if i change the instrument instead of printing i could be cutting for example. i know it will be still using Gcode most probably, but i don't want to have to design in solidworks, save as STL, translate in reprap or skeinforge to Gcode, execute the Gcode either in reprap or LabVIEW. if i can load the STL directly in LabVIEW and just hit print and it does everything it would be nicer. beside i love programing.

so far i don't need the slicer part anymore i already could slice it, now my problem will be to make the GCode, wish me luck. thanks for the advice also, be sure that i consider it. actually i'm on a team, it's not just me making everything and we are considering just build a Mendel with all the parts said on the wiki and use the software supplied in the wiki to be sure it will work and we have zero to develop just assemble.

Thanks

SuperJugy

P.S. yeah i thought about deleting and reopen another but i got lazy... XD
December 04, 2012 03:54PM
Hey Suerjugy, I am trying to slice files in labview so that I can see each image as a black and white image (for a DLP Projector 3d Printer). Care to share how you got labview to slice your stl file? Thanks!
Hello rlev,

I am trying to do exactly the same thing as you (at least you were a year ago). Did you ever find a solution? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm trying to go from .STL to .BMP

Thanks!

>Hey Suerjugy, I am trying to slice files in labview so that I can see each image as a black and white image (for a DLP >Projector 3d Printer). Care to share how you got labview to slice your stl file? Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login