Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap installation script

Posted by Тони 
RepRap installation script
October 26, 2010 07:32AM
Hey there,

I have written a script that downloads and installs RepRap on Ubuntu/Debian(Squeeze)/derivatives. It gets prerequisites and chooses architecture. It makes an all-user installation.

RepRap-install.sh

Please test the script and comment whether it is OK. Feel free to make modifications that suit your needs.
The script can be downloaded and run with the following commands:
wget http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/5/57/RepRap-install.sh
sudo sh RepRap-install.sh

Eventually the script may be placed on the page for RepRap installation.

Regards
Re: RepRap installation script
October 27, 2010 04:30AM
Good idea, Thon.

ln -sf /usr/lib/jni/librxtxSerial.so .

AFAIK, you can achieve the same effect by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH in your startup script. Would clutter the system a bit less.

Looking at the script, it probably fails if not run as root. Testing for root privileges and informing the user, or making extensive usage of sudo could make life easier for some people. Ubuntu doesn't have a usable root account by default.

Eventually the script may be placed on the page for RepRap installation.

Feel free to do so yourself. Everybody can get an account in the Wiki and almost every page can be edited by everybody.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

November 23, 2010 12:51AM
Thanks for this Toni! I have had a hard time getting RepRap to load up on my Ubuntu system, and your script worked first time!
November 23, 2010 01:32AM
I have to say, Jonathan's reprap packages for Ubuntu work really well. Rebuilt a laptop and installed Ubuntu 10.10. Had RepRap host up and running ready to be connected to the printer with in 10 minutes. Just need to confirm that the laptop is not going to be driving me crazy (It took nearly an hour to get the graphics working on the laptop, damn SIS graphic chips).

David
December 28, 2010 03:01PM
Hey

It sems like the install worked but I cant find the way to open the program.
Need som help
December 28, 2010 05:08PM
SirBj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It sems like the install worked but I cant find
> the way to open the program.

To start the RepRap application, run the following command.
reprap
December 28, 2010 06:00PM
davmj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have to say, Jonathan's reprap packages for
> Ubuntu work really well.

Here is Jonathan Marsden's personal package archive with the RepRap Debian/Ubuntu packages:

https://edge.launchpad.net/~jmarsden/+archive/reprap

You can install them on an Ubuntu machine with the following commands.
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:jmarsden/reprap && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y install reprap-mendel-host reprap-mendel-electronics reprap-mendel-firmware reprap-mendel-mechanics reprap-utils
You also probably need to add a udev rule to access the communication port.
echo 'SYSFS{idVendor}=="0403", SYSFS{idProduct}=="6001", MODE="666"' | sudo tee /etc/udev/rules.d/sanguino-usb.rules > /dev/null
To get the software for loading firmware into the Sanguino chip, issue the following commands (not necessary, if the firmware has been loaded already).
sudo apt-get -y install arduino
sudo wget --continue --directory-prefix=/tmp 'http://sanguino.googlecode.com/files/Sanguino-0018r2_1_4.zip'
sudo unzip -o /tmp/Sanguino-0018r2_1_4.zip Sanguino/* -d /usr/share/arduino/hardware
Enjoy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login