Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dual / Triple / Quad Monitors

Posted by Waterppk 
Dual / Triple / Quad Monitors
May 10, 2010 11:22PM
On launching the RepRap software I get the following error:

"Error in the main GUI: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: adding a container to a container on a different GraphicsDevice"

Disabling multiple monitors fixes the error, so likely a software bug not supporting multiple monitors. Is there a better place to post this?
Re: Dual / Triple / Quad Monitors
May 11, 2010 01:11AM
Once you've run it with multiple monitors disabled and positioned all windows to be on the screen you can then reactivate multiple monitors and it will then start properly in multiple monitor mode.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
January 09, 2011 12:20PM
No matter how much I muck around with turning extra monitors on and off, it won't start properly in multi-monitor mode.

Could someone more versed in the Java black arts look into this posting I found and see if the workaround described therein is applicable to the RepRap Host software?...
January 09, 2011 12:36PM
Make sure all windows are on the main monitor.
Do this by using single monitor mode - run the RepRap Host software and position all windows within the main window.
End the software and reactivate mult-monitor mode.
Then it should work.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
January 09, 2011 12:44PM
Nope, this kludge is not working for me. (I guess I should mention I'm using Windows 7 on this system.) The window positions and sizes are not getting remembered upon repeated runs of the host software even when the extra monitors aren't enabled yet, anyway.
Guido
January 24, 2011 10:27PM
I am having the same problem running on Vista. It always works with one monitor disabled, never with both running (no matter how many times I reposition, exit, restart etc.). It's pretty annoying.
January 25, 2011 02:48AM
Hmmm... confused smiley

Don't know what to suggest, I am also running under 32-bit Vista and repositioning the windows in single monitor mode fixed the problem for me. Maybe Adrian can suggest something...

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
On those of you for whom the "kludge" does not work, check your monitor identities: See if monitor 1 is to the right of monitor 2, or if Monitor 1 is NOT your "primary" monitor (i.e. the one with the Taskbar on it).
On my system 2 was on the left, 1 on the right, and 2 was the primary. I was unable to start up the reprap app.
When I changed the default monitor to 1 (which moved my taskbar to the right-hand monitor), the app started up fine.
The Console always appeared on the "default" monitor. The 3D viewer always appeared on monitor 1.

The idea came to me when I saw suspect code in Panel3D.createCanvas3D:
		GraphicsDevice gd[] = GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().getScreenDevices();

Canvas3D c3d = new Canvas3D(gd[0].getBestConfiguration(gc3D));

I assume gd[0] is just grabbing display 1.
Perhaps it should be finding the display appropriate to the main frame that will ultimately contain it instead...??

-Kevin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login