Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can you use Java JDK 1.5.0 with feisy fawn? Ubuntu 7.04

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Can you use Java JDK 1.5.0 with feisy fawn? Ubuntu 7.04
June 28, 2007 06:47AM
I installed both java jdk 1.5.0 and java 6.0, when I read later that this was the version 7.04 used. When I look for the JRE file cd /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre and then ls -ld lib/etc it doesn't find it. If I use java jdk 1.5.0 I don't think I would have a problem, but would the fawn be feisty over this version? I have the broadcom BCM4318 wireless chipset, fawn hated it! I ended up using a air linc wireless card, that worked.
Re: Can you use Java JDK 1.5.0 with feisy fawn? Ubuntu 7.04
June 28, 2007 07:31AM
Englewood,

Ubuntu/Feisty Fawn doesn't really care *what* version of java you run; only the java host application does. I think the "standard" for now is Java 1.5, but 1.6 should be fine as well. Check this [reprap.org] for the configuration of java on Ubuntu to be able to run the host software.

Joost
June 28, 2007 09:55AM
Broadcom is notorious for not providing any information about their chipsets. Because Broadcom refuses to cooperate, some of their chips are unsupported on Linux. If you're running Ubuntu, stay away from Broadcom wireless NICs.
June 29, 2007 12:48AM
Yes, you can indeed run Sun Java 1.5.0 under Ubuntu 7.04 just fine.
That is what my Linux box uses. I suggest uninstalling all other Sun Java versions, keeping *only* the one you intend to use. The Wiki instructions were recently updated as I was testing with Ubuntu 7.04, so they really should work for you, too.

My Linux box is hardwired to my home network, so no wireless setup to worry about there for me.

Jonathan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login