Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reprap host software on Windows Vista 64 bit

Posted by mochen72 
Reprap host software on Windows Vista 64 bit
October 17, 2009 01:38AM
Hi everyone,

I am trying to run the reprap host software on Windows Vista business 64 bit.

I have followed the instructions in the documentation, and made sure that I have installed the latest versions of Java and Java 3D. However, whenever I run reprap.bat, I get the following error:

-----------------------------
C:\Program Files\Reprap>rem reprap-host -- runs Reprap Java host code with an ap
propriate classpath

C:\Program Files\Reprap>rem Amount of RAM to allow Java VM to use

C:\Program Files\Reprap>set RAM_SIZE=384M

C:\Program Files\Reprap>rem reprap.jar file and stl file

C:\Program Files\Reprap>set REPRAP_DIR=C:\Program Files\Reprap

C:\Program Files\Reprap>rem Java3D and j3d.org libraries

C:\Program Files\Reprap>rem set JAVA_LIBRARY_DIR=C:\Program Files\Reprap

C:\Program Files\Reprap>rem cd so we can find the reprap-wv.stl file. Can we av
oid this??

C:\Program Files\Reprap>IF NOT EXIST reprap-wv.stl cd "C:\Program Files\Reprap"

C:\Program Files\Reprap>java -cp ".\reprap.jar;.\RXTXcomm.jar;.\j3dcore.jar;.\j3
d-org-java3d-all.jar;.\j3dutils.jar;.\swing-layout-1.0.3.jar;.\vecmath.jar;." -X
mx384M org/reprap/Main
'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Program Files\Reprap>if ERRORLEVEL 1 pause
Press any key to continue . . .

-------------------------

When I press any key, the program just exits. I am wondering if Reprap host software works on my version of Windows. If so, is there anything special I have to do?

Thanks in advance.

Mo
Re: Reprap host software on Windows Vista 64 bit
October 17, 2009 02:53AM
UPDATE:

I just installed Java Runtime, and the execution seemed to proceed a little further before stopping. Now the error message is below:

Does "Exception in thread "RepRap" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files\Reprap\rxtxSerial.dll: Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform" suggest rxtx is not 64-bit compatible?
---------------------------------------------------------------

C:\Program Files\Reprap>reprap

C:\Program Files\Reprap>rem reprap-host -- runs Reprap Java host code with an ap
propriate classpath

C:\Program Files\Reprap>rem Amount of RAM to allow Java VM to use

C:\Program Files\Reprap>set RAM_SIZE=384M

C:\Program Files\Reprap>rem reprap.jar file and stl file

C:\Program Files\Reprap>set REPRAP_DIR=C:\Program Files\Reprap

C:\Program Files\Reprap>rem Java3D and j3d.org libraries

C:\Program Files\Reprap>rem set JAVA_LIBRARY_DIR=C:\Program Files\Reprap

C:\Program Files\Reprap>rem cd so we can find the reprap-wv.stl file. Can we av
oid this??

C:\Program Files\Reprap>IF NOT EXIST reprap-wv.stl cd "C:\Program Files\Reprap"

C:\Program Files\Reprap>java -cp ".\reprap.jar;.\RXTXcomm.jar;.\j3dcore.jar;.\j3
d-org-java3d-all.jar;.\j3dutils.jar;.\swing-layout-1.0.3.jar;.\vecmath.jar;." -X
mx384M org/reprap/Main
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files\Reprap\rxtxSerial.dll: Can't lo
ad IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommD
river
Exception in thread "RepRap" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files\Re
prap\rxtxSerial.dll: Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier.(CommPortIdentifier.java:83)
at org.reprap.comms.GCodeReaderAndWriter.openSerialConnection(Unknown So
urce)
at org.reprap.comms.GCodeReaderAndWriter.(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.machines.GCodeRepRap.(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.machines.MachineFactory.create(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.Main.(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.Main$9.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

C:\Program Files\Reprap>if ERRORLEVEL 1 pause
---------------------------------------------------------------
October 17, 2009 02:42PM
UPDATE: Problem resolved.

I downloaded eclipse and then configured the build paths correctly, and then the host software was running.
I have been having similar problems. What did you do with eclipse?
October 17, 2009 10:41PM
jbayless gave me detailed instructions on how to setup eclipse, which solved my problem.

Here is a slightly modified version of his instructions that worked for me.

1. Download Eclipse
[www.eclipse.org]
We want the second one on the list: Eclipse IDE for Java Developers (92 Mb)

2. Put the downloaded file in a folder, like C:/Program Files/Eclipse, and unzip it.

3. Download the JDK version of Java 6 ("Java Development Kit").
[java.sun.com]
We want the fourth one down ("JDK 6 Update 16"). Not any of the development bundles.
Anyway, install that file.

4. Next, we have to set up Eclipse to access the RepRap software. As with many open-source projects, RepRap uses version control software to coordinate development. RepRap uses SVN, short for "Subversion". There's a version of SVN that is integrated into Eclipse, called "Subclipse", but you have to download and install it like this:

In Eclipse, go to Help->Install New Software

Click the "Add" button to add a new website. Another window will pop up, asking for a name and URL. We want:

Name: Subclipse
URL: [subclipse.tigris.org]

and click OK. Select the site "Subclipse" that should now be in the menu, and click Next.

There should be three listed packages to install:
- Core SVNKit library (required)
- Optional JNA library (recommended)
- Subclipse

I installed all three. You'll have to restart Eclipse when you're done.

5. Once Eclipse is restarted, go to Window->Open Perspective->Other... and choose "SVN Repository Exploring".

The SVN repository box will open on the left. Click the little button that looks like a folder with a plus sign, labeled "Add SVN Repository".

It will ask for a URL. Enter the URL where all the RepRap files are stored:

[reprap.svn.sourceforge.net]

It will think for a little while. And then you'll have access to the RepRap source code through Eclipse.

6. To download the files, select 'reprap', then 'host', then right click and choose "checkout". It will ask you where to download to, the default location should be fine (workspace/Reprap or something).

7. Switch back to Java edit mode. That's done by going to the top right of the screeen, where there's a tab that lets you switch between 'SVN Repository' view and 'Java' view. (It might just say SVN >>).

8. The program will take quite a bit of RAM, it seems, so you have to set an appropriate range for it. To do this, open Reprap->src->org.reprap and select Main.java, then under the 'Run' menu, click "Run Configurations...". In the Arguments tab, in VM arguments, type:

-Xms256m -Xmx1024m

That will tell it to use between 256 and 1024 Mb of RAM for the virtual machine that runs the program.

9. Right click on the Reprap project, and select 'Build Path->Configure Build Path'. Go to the libraries tab, and find the one that says "[something]\lib". Select it and click the "Remove" button on the right.

Then go back, and find the folder that says "lib" (it should be the one right below "src"). Right click and select "Build Path->Use as Source Folder". Now Eclipse will look in this folder when compiling.

Now, in lib/system-dependent/windows-i586 are the dlls for 3D graphics and serial ports for Windows. We need to tell some of the .jar files that their dlls live here. Go back to the "Build Path->Configure Build Path" menu like before, and then go to the library tab. For each of the following .jar files:

j3Dcore.jar, j3D-org-java3D.jar, RTXTComm.jar

Do this:

1) Select the jar
2) hit the little drop down arrow at the left of the jar
3) Select Native Library location
4) hit edit on the right hand toolbar
5) hit 'Workspace'
6) either type in: "Reprap/lib/system-dependent/windows-i586", or browse to the windows-i586 folder
7) hit OK

Do that for all three.

Then, add all the .jar files in the lib directory. I didn't have to change the native library location for those.

10. Try compiling the code: Click back over to src/org.reprap/Main.java, and click "Run->Run As->Java Application"

If all goes well, an instance of the reprap host software should be running.
October 18, 2009 05:54AM
Hooray! I'm glad that worked.
it works for me now. if only my opto endstops didn't decide to screw up I would be printing.
I followed your instructions to a key, and everything works fine, but now how do i turn this into a file that i can open. Like will i have to do this everythime? Also when i run main.java as a java, i get 6 warnings and 1 error

Error opening port: /dev/ttyUSB0

Any ideas?
October 22, 2009 01:42AM
I'm not sure what the warnings are. The error is probably because your computer is not connected to the Reprap.

I haven't made a batch file yet... I will let you know once I get there.
emt
October 22, 2009 04:05AM
Hi jesse

You have to change port to a COM number. ttyusb0 is a linux port.

Details here:-

[objects.reprap.org]

Regards

Ian
Thanks for the help!! i'll try the com thing soon. Thanks Again!!
October 23, 2009 12:18AM
might be an idea to have this stickied as Win 7 gets officially tomorrow
Yea, i'm running the bata version. Thats why im after this!smiling bouncing smiley
October 24, 2009 09:44AM
Grogyan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> might be an idea to have this stickied as Win 7
> gets officially tomorrow

Technically it was released on the 4th Aug, but only for MSDN subscribers
October 24, 2009 09:53PM
The above instructions also work for Windows 7 64-bit. However, when entering URL into eclipse, I had to click on the URL in the instructions and copy the full URL into eclipse.
sjunnesson
December 18, 2009 01:35PM
just tested it and it builds it nicely on win 7 64bits. Dont have my reprap here but will try it out tomorrow for the first time. Waiting eagerly on the batch file...
Hello.

If you have this working; why isn't there a x64 version available on the Source Forge downloads page?

Thank you. smiling smiley

-[a]-
March 27, 2010 04:56AM
fantastic this worked. now i dont have to buy a net book to run this program.
oh dam what do i tell the wife i need the net book for?

is there anyway to compile this in to a standalone program?
March 27, 2010 06:50PM
The standalone Java Host program comes with a few *.dll and *.jar files whose file name begin with j3d. These files that come wtih the Java Host program are 32-bit versions. I believe the rxtxserial.dll and rxtxparallel.dll files are also 32-bit versions too.

To make the standalone program work, you need to replace these 32-bit files with their 64-bit versions. The 64 bit version of j3d files are in your Java 3D 64-bit installation folder. The rxtx files can be downloaded somewhere around here: [jlog.org].

I got the standalone program to work after replacing the 32-bit files with the 64-bit ones.

Good luck.
March 27, 2010 06:51PM
I am actually not sure how to put the files on sourceforge. I would put my working files up if you could show me how smiling smiley

Mo
April 12, 2010 12:15PM
mochen72s post worked for me too on XP-64.

I downloaded the 2 files from the link he gave plus copied the file 'j3dcore-ogl.dll' from the Java3D folder and replaced the 3 files my reprap software folder. The program now runs by clicking the 'reprap.bat' file.
download java3d from here:
[java.sun.com]

install and you should find j3dcore-ogl.dll installed to here:
C:\Program Files\Java\Java3D\1.5.1\bin\
May 13, 2010 04:16PM
Hi all
I am on win 7 x64 and I cant get this to work at all.
I followed mochen72 instructions but after reboot after eclipse install, since it did not work finding the right url for reprap, I now get this message (see image) trying to start eclipse. At [objects.reprap.org] under windows install, it says that you have to create system variable but that don't work either, and it don't say what name the variables should have.
What the h-ll shall I do to get this to work.
Plz help needed
regards
Per
Attachments:
open | download - Skärmklipp.JPG (25.8 KB)
May 14, 2010 01:22AM
Word I got from Adrian when I asked is this.

The RepRap host will not work for 64bit OS's

RepRap host probably can work for Win7 32bit and xp 64bit.

And I did tell him that he should make sure that it is compatible with 64bit OS's as 32 bit ones are slowly being phased out.

Note XP has only got a couple years left before MS stops supporting it altogether
May 14, 2010 01:28AM
Unless something changed, I believe what I wrote earlier should work. I've been using the RepRap host on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

mochen72 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The standalone Java Host program comes with a few
> *.dll and *.jar files whose file name begin with
> j3d. These files that come wtih the Java Host
> program are 32-bit versions. I believe the
> rxtxserial.dll and rxtxparallel.dll files are also
> 32-bit versions too.
>
> To make the standalone program work, you need to
> replace these 32-bit files with their 64-bit
> versions. The 64 bit version of j3d files are in
> your Java 3D 64-bit installation folder. The rxtx
> files can be downloaded somewhere around here:
> [jlog.org].
>
> I got the standalone program to work after
> replacing the 32-bit files with the 64-bit ones.
>
> Good luck.
May 14, 2010 11:39AM
Thanks for reply
but I cant get eclipse to start (see image in earlier post) it seems that eclipse is looking for something Java in the wrong directory.
Per
May 14, 2010 01:05PM
You actually don't need to start eclipse. Simply get the reprap host software, and install java3d 64-bit. Afterwards, replace the dll files in your reprap host software folder with the dll files in the java3d 64-bit installation folder.
May 14, 2010 02:12PM
Hi again
I have done all the replacing of files and other things but I still got the same error as mochen72 stated in the start of this thread. Cant get eclipse to start.Cant get reprap.bat to start.
I have 2 directory´s on my machine C:\program and C:\program (x86)\ and I placed reprap and eclipse in C:\program (x86) is this right? since eclipse is looked for jre in the wrong directory now when trying to start eclipse it just spins the win "waitingsymbol" and then nothing happens.
I am soon feed up with this so should I start all over or what??
plz help
Per

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2010 11:38AM by perolalars.
Attachments:
open | download - Skärmklipp02.JPG (85.1 KB)
May 21, 2010 11:25AM
Hi again
Is it just me having problem running this sw on Win7 x64?
I installed it on an old xp x86 machine and it worked right away, but still no luck on win7 x64.
I don't have a rerap connected yet, maybe this is the problem?
Any hint on where to maybe find the answer would be appreciated!
And to the guys behind, should it not be quite smooth to also install on a x64 machine, since 64bit systems is more and more common?
regards
Per
June 05, 2010 03:51AM
Getting the relevant 64bit Java libraries, and persuading java to use them with the RepRap host software, really should work. I have done this on 64bit Ubuntu just fine (I should add the info to the wiki, and post a message on the forums pointing to it).

I don't currently have easy access to a 64bit Windows machine, unless we count servers at work, which I shouldn't use for RepRap experiments smiling smiley I could try setting up a 64bit Windows virtual machine here at home, but it's more costly in both cash and time than I want to commit to at the moment, since I'd need a license key, and MS is particular about which versions of Windows 7 you are permitted to use virtualized, etc.

I think fully resolving this issue would mean either distributing different install files for different OSes, or separating things back out, and having people install the host software, and the libraries it needs, separately, so they can choose exactly the right libraries for their chosen OS.

I know what the right approach is on Debian and Ubuntu (separate the libraries out); I'm less sure what the right way to go for Windows is... creating a .exe installer that does the right thing on 32bit and 64bit Windows automatically would be nice, but is potentially quite a bit of work. I did do some work on an NSIS .exe installer for RepRap back in early 2008 or so, but that was 32bit only, never really finished, and has not been maintained since then.

Jonathan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login