Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

firmware

Posted by thatguy 
firmware
June 30, 2009 03:29PM
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xf0
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

is the problem I am getting when I upload to my sangiuno board.

Gen 2 electronics, windows.

I am just trying to upload a test program for the pwm driver.
Re: firmware
June 30, 2009 05:21PM
I get this error quite a bit, try holding reset, pressing program/flash/whatever, keeping holding the reset button for a few seconds, then letting go. When I do this, I only get the error maybe 5% of the time. Also, make sure you installed the sanguino libs correctly, and check you've selected "sanguino" under board type.
June 30, 2009 11:57PM
...and check, doublecheck, and tripple-check your settings in the Arduino PC software. Seriously, I use all three of the 168, 328, and Mega chips, and I constantly forget to change the Tools->Board->xxxxx setting to match my chips. Must be early-onset senility. :-)
July 01, 2009 12:38PM
I checked and I have it right. What's frustrating is that it was working just fine on monday, I haven't changed anything since then.

I have tried different combinations of the reset button.

I'm sure you aren't senile!

I really don't know what to do though...
July 01, 2009 10:43PM
Just guessing here, but in unusual circumstances ( eg static discharge ) chips have been known to loose/corrupt their bootloader - do you have a different chip to try?

[www.ladyada.net]

this site says:
(all that follows is a direct extract from the above)

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

If you get the following error message "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00" that means that the Arduino is not responding. There are literally dozens of reasons this could be.

Check the following:

* If you have a NG Arduino, did you press reset just before selecting Upload menu item?
* Is the correct Serial Port selected?
* Is the correct driver installed?
* Is the chip inserted into the Arduino properly? (If you built your own arduino or have burned the bootloader on yourself)
* Does the chip have the correct bootloader on it? (If you built your own arduino or have burned the bootloader on yourself)

Note that it is nearly impossible for anyone to debug this, as there are so many possible issues. Try everything.
August 02, 2009 04:32AM
Thanks for the hint re pressing the reset button.

I also get this error, but if you hold down the reset button whilst you click upload and then keep it held down until the arduino development says "xxxxx of xxxxx" then let go of the reset button, then it works fine EVERY time.

Phil
September 26, 2009 12:20AM
Hey!! I had the same problem and I could fix it.

I was testing a program with I2C and a 7 seg display, everything worked fine for a lot of times but sudenly the known problem "avrdude...." appeared when trying to upload an sketch. When I start up the arduino some blinks in the Comm. leds and then the Led in 13 began blinking very fast. After releasing the reset button the led-13 began blinking very fast inmediately. The last program loaded was not working.

Solution: Unplug the USB, press the Upload tool, just when the "Binary sketch size: xxx bytes (of ..." msg appears I connect the USB plug. The new program is loaded successfuly.

Good luck...
Brad Hunter
Re: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xf0
October 05, 2010 04:57PM
I have just spent about 10 hours over 3 days researching and trying different steps in forums and troubleshooting guides dealing with this. Ultimately, I thought my 328 chip was dead. If it was really dead, then I had nothing to lose trying to re-install the bootloader.

I made a parallel connector, which was documented on this website and I used it. It worked perfectly. My confidence was restored until I tried to upload a sketch and had the same problem again.

After a quick run through all of the previous attempts at a fix, I decided to try uploading the sketch with the parallel connector. This worked! My board programs and works fine. However, this confirms the problem is with the communication on the serial side.

I will continue to chase the communication problem, however I can also continue to use my Arduino now via the parallel programmer. It sounds like I need to check my cables too.

The directions for making a parallel programmer are here:
[arduino.cc]
and what you need to do for uploading sketches is located here:
[arduino.cc]

in: preferences.txt
change: upload.using=bootloader;
to: upload.using=parallel;

I hope this helps someone, my eye's hurt from all the reading I did to track down this simple set of steps that turned out to be right in front of me. smiling smiley If only I had known what the question actually was... winking smiley
October 06, 2010 04:37AM
Oh, just 10 hours? You're pretty quick, man!

Glad you got it working.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

shitbifter
November 28, 2010 12:46PM
Just another post related to the "not_in_sync"-problem:

I also had the problem with the fast blinking LED. Did the same thing as Kolb. The secret lies somewhat in the timing: Whilst the IDE is compiling the code, plug in USB. The important part is when the code on the arduino starts to run. This must not happen! Instead the IDE must be first to initialize the upload of new code. That is my guess! Works perfect for me.

My problem seems to be specific to the NewSoftSerial10c that I am using. When using it in Anti-Pasto-IDE, it works. When using it with Arduino19, then the uploaded code seems to become all bitchy and stuff.

Peace
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login