Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reprap host software bug

Reprap host software bug
February 09, 2009 06:53PM
I've downloaded the SVN head version of the Reprap host software, and I'm getting a null pointer exception whenever I try to turn an stl file into a gcode file. The exception is at line 771 of GCodeReaderAndWriter.java, in the startingLayer(LayerRules lc) function. If the opFileArray variable begins this function as null, but lc.getTopDown() returns false, then the function never initializes opFileArray. It then has a null pointer exception when it tries to set opFileArray[opFileIndex].
Re: Reprap host software bug
February 20, 2009 04:11PM
I am getting the following error when I attempt to run the host software on Mac OSX 10.4.11 (Tiger) can someone please explain what needs to be done to work around this?

-julie

===== Friday, January 23, 2009 2:34:48 PM US/Pacific =====
Experimental:  JNI_OnLoad called.
Stable Library
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version   = RXTX-2.1-7
Error opening port: /dev/ttyUSB0
Exception in thread "RepRap" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jdesktop/layout/GroupLayout$Group
	at org.reprap.Main$9.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:176)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)
February 20, 2009 07:01PM
Have you got the swing-layout.jar in the classpath? Or multiple versions of it?
February 20, 2009 07:42PM
I am not sure what is meant by classpath?

spotlight finds three instances of swing-layout-1.0.3.jar

Two of these instances appear to be part of the sourecode distribution lib (which I am unclear how to compile) and not the application.

There is an instance inside reprap-host-mac-20081218 which is inside the applications folder.

-julie
February 21, 2009 03:18AM
Thats looks fine. The problem then is probably the known issue with the Sun Java versions. i.e. For the latest host software versions you need Java 6 which is not available for Mac OS X 10.4. Sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2009 03:33AM by Reece Arnott.
February 21, 2009 03:07PM
Since this is open source software, then It should be well documented why the use of Java is better than coding this under visual studio on a windoz machine which most people have access to.

I still run my CNC software on win98 using a parallel port. I fer sure am not going to dedicate a new machine to experimental coding and compiling.

Reprap is starting to achieve critical mass and mainstream awareness, that means the latest ge-wizz has to be tempered with legacy stability. That the software will need to be built for the lowest common denominator.

-julie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2009 09:07PM by sheep.
February 21, 2009 03:42PM
{comment removed by author}

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2009 04:49PM by Forrest Higgs.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
March 12, 2009 08:07PM
reece.arnott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thats looks fine. The problem then is probably the
> known issue with the Sun Java versions. i.e. For
> the latest host software versions you need Java 6
> which is not available for Mac OS X 10.4. Sorry.

Java 6 is not mandatory anymore. On an Intel iMac with OS X 10.4.11 I successfully compiled the Java Host (SVN version #2539) using Netbeans. Aside from the host suffering some bugs as the first post in this thread shows.

NetBeans does have some quirks to create a project, details you find here: [1m93.blogspot.com]

Regards,
Johan
March 13, 2009 10:52PM
> NetBeans does have some quirks to create a
> project, details you find here:
> [1m93.blogspot.com]
> -104.html
>
> Regards,
> Johan

I am finding this link a bit confusing. I got the ibook G4 running with a new logic board. On this I placed a clean install of Tiger.

I also installed netbeans.

Next I copied over the reprap folder from my documents folder. This should have the source as I decompressed the tarball.

I then tried to import the project as an eclipse project as per the link above. Note I have not installed the SVNX program as I already have the source build I want to work with in the documents folder.

Edit: I was able to figure out that I did not need the SVNX after all. To simplify things I am moving the rest of this into a new thread

[forums.reprap.org]

-julie

-julie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2009 08:11PM by sheep.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login