Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

replicatorG question

Posted by pumpernickel2 
replicatorG question
November 19, 2008 03:37PM
Hi everyone. I'm having a trouble with replicatorg-0002 and maybe one of you can help.

So here's me setup:

1 clunky old PC running Windows XP SP2

PC is running: reprap host, arduino environment, and so on.

Host and arduino work fine so I'm pretty sure I got all the Java things and all the drivers that are needed.

A reprap-darwin is hooked up to PC and is functional under the reprap host.
Reprap is standard single-arduino configuration, with comms over usb.

Now my problem. I would like to use replicatorG to test some gcode stuff.

So I put the replicatorg-0002 folder here: C:\Program Files\replicatorg-0002

click on run.bat to make it go and command window says:

"The system cannot find the path specified. Press any key to continue..."

OK, fine. So I change JAVA_HOME in run.bat as follows:

set JAVA_HOME="C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin"

'cause that's where my Java lives...

So now run.bat will start right up replicatorg, yay! 3-axis simulator is already selected under driver. The command window says to me this:

Loading machine: 3-Axis Simulator
blah blah blah
Loading driver: NullDriver

OK, cool. Now I paste in test program from Zach up on replicat.org.
I hit simulate button (not build) and a nice window comes up and draws some lines and the command window says to me:

blah blah blah
Running GCode...
Running build.

OK, great. But when done an empty dialog box pops up and the program hangs... not great.

So this is problem one. We can try different permutations and get some other problems, but nothing really works (except the control panel, see below...).

We try also, select "darwin" from driver menu. So after setting COM port in machines.xml we can connect, and get the message "ready to rock" from command window. But in this case, pressing build or simulate gives us other errors (see caps).

For what it's worth, replicatorg will connect to the arduino (with gcode interpreter loaded) and I can move things around using the replicatorg control panel - so serial comms seem to work ok, it is just when the "simulate" or "build" is pressed that problems occur...

See attached three screencaps for more details.

Sorry for the long rambly post, but maybe if any of you actually read this far you might can help. I know I am getting what I deserve for trying to run the gcode stuff on windows, so please spare me any "just install linux" or "just use my super home-cooked protocol instead of gcodes" type advice. I use linux, I love it, and I'm all about home-cooking; but we play the cards we're dealt and in this particular case I've been dealt gcodes and a crummy old windows machine...

Alternatively if anyone knows another quick and painless way to get gcodes out the usb port I could use that also. Emphasis on painless - my coding skills are at the toddler level if you haven't figured that out by now...

Thanks in advance, and good luck to all the other 'rappers and 'strappers out there!
Attachments:
open | download - rg1.JPG (35.1 KB)
open | download - rg2.JPG (56.9 KB)
open | download - rg3.JPG (111.7 KB)
Re: replicatorG question
November 22, 2008 11:42AM
Same Problem with the simulation hang.

I also get infinity errors when trying to switch to Darwin (mine is on COM3):

Any tips?

-Leav
sid
November 22, 2008 12:11PM
To make sure it's not because of the installed java nor the new replicatorG 0002 version
you may want to give the portable version a try I made some time ago
[forums.reprap.org]

Just extract all the files and run the replicatorg/run.bat

It'll use the bundled java files.

If that's okay you can try updating the replicatorg/ *.* files
make sure to use the old run.bat (rename to run_portable.bat maybe)
at least edit run.bat line #8 to: set JAVA_HOME="..\java\bin"
(i.e add ../ )

If this is working properly, it's the installed javaversion, else it's replicatorg 0002 (or your computer... *well, who knows it's still windows winking smiley*)

'sid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2008 12:17PM by sid.
November 22, 2008 02:25PM
ReplicatorG is fussy about com ports; and doesn't seem to close them down all the time. Try pulling the USB cable out, and reconnecting it while ReplicatorG is not running, then run ReplicatorG.

Also, the more recent versions are better, but not released yet. smiling smiley I've built the Linux version from Zach's repository, but jogging doesn't work. It does build nice parts though.

Wade
November 22, 2008 03:25PM
so here's what i did:

download sid's portable version, unpack to desktop, click on run.bat

-> everything seems to work a-ok, no hangups like before

next, following sid's instructions -> rename RepRap-host_portable\replicatorg\run.bat to run.portable.bat

replace RepRap-host_portable\replicatorg\*.* with contents of my replicatorg-0002 that was giving troubles.

now try run.portable.bat -> same problems as originally.

so ok now, problem is in replicator-0002 or my computer. next we try this:

put everything back like i had it before. then take RepRap-host_portable\replicatorg\*.* and copy it to C:\Program Files\replicatorg

then i edit the line in C:\Program Files\replicatorg\run.bat

to read

set JAVA_HOME="C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin"

click on run.bat and off we go! no hangups, comms work, and i can print the sample gcode from Zach's replicat.org page and it makes the machine go. yay!

Conclusion: replicatorg-0001 works fine, problem must be in replicatorg-0002

Thanks everyone for your good responses. You helped me fix it! Now off to the next problem...
November 28, 2008 10:15PM
Leav -- you're getting those java errors (in red) probably because you haven't connected your computer to your arduino, when driver="darwin".

Arthur
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login