Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer communication issue

Posted by jknowles 
Printer communication issue
July 04, 2012 03:22AM
Hi

I am very new to this, particualrly the software side but have got stuck.

The printer is built. Prusa Mendel type printer. The electorncis board was bought ready made (Gen 7 1.3.1 electronics). I have got a USB/com interface and connected. The board powers up OK and the correct lights turn on. I managed to get the test software to upload via Arduino and run (turns the heater bed LED on and off 10 times). However I can seem to get any further.

I have tried the pronterprinter software, selected the correct port and then pressed connect and in the text box it says ATMega idle. If I press the reset button the power supply switches on and it runs the program (as above) and what it is doing is shown in the text box (i.e "Led on" led off" etc) and then goes back to the idel state. But i cant seem to connect to get it to move the stepper motors manually.

Any pointer appreciated!

Jonathan
Re: Printer communication issue
July 04, 2012 03:33AM
eye rolling smiley You have loaded a test firmware into the board that as you said:

jknowles
turns the heater bed LED on and off 10 times

NOW, you need to load a 'real' firmware such as Sprinter, Teacup, Marlin, FiveD and etcetera...

THEN you should be able to connect to the device.
Also make sure that the baudrate set in Proterface is the same as what is configured in the firmware you decide to use.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 04, 2012 06:12AM
Thanks. I have tried to upload teacup but no success. I have checked the com port baud rate is correct, set the baud rate on the PC and in config.h to the same rate (9600) but it doesnt want to upload. I dont know if this is an issue with reset button timing or miscommunication.
July 04, 2012 07:11AM
The config.h baudrate has nothing to do with the upload baudrate, that is controlled by the boot loader.
On many systems you need to press the reset button as soon as you see the text that upload is starting in order to get it to upload correctly.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 04, 2012 09:42AM
Hi

Thanks for the advice. I have now managed (I think!) to get the teacup firmware loaded. When I then try and connect to the board via pronterprinter it says printer is now online and a line with some heater values. However if I use the manual control buttons to move the stage there is no repsonse. I suspect it is due to the PSU being off/idle and I dont know how to switch it on.

Thanks once again and in anticipation for your help with my newby questions!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login