Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rep Rappers in Boston area?

Posted by Stephen 
Rep Rappers in Boston area?
September 05, 2011 03:59PM
Are there any active rep rappers in the Cambridge area? I am looking at getting into this and I'd love to touch base with someone who has done it near me.

Thanks!
Re: Rep Rappers in Boston area?
September 28, 2011 06:54AM
Hi Stephen,

I live in Cambridge and have a mostly put together prusa. It's not quite functional at the moment but it it will be soon. Have you started your project yet?
October 01, 2011 06:44PM
Im kinda close (Wareham MA) ... I also have a RepRap Pursa about 80% .. working on electronics right now.
October 02, 2011 11:48AM
Hey MXcobra and Kellesabelle, I'm in Cambridge and want in too. I would love to get some parts printed when either or both of you are up and running. Where are you at with your build Stephen? I have access to a CNC router that might be of some use if anyone is inerested.
October 06, 2011 09:07PM
Hi ccfrosty!

Nice to hear there are some people around here on the forum. I'm doing some calibration and occasionally breaking things, trying to get some nice abs prints. I'm going to start printing parts for another prusa next week. Lucky for me, I work at a school and my boss has agreed to finance me building another one to use there with the kids. smiling smiley Should be neat.

That's cool that you have access to a cnc. I actually do some woodworking/boatbuilding and such and have thought about trying to build one, maybe one day.

Have you started your build or planning or whatnot?
October 11, 2011 01:29PM
Boston (chinatown) here. I too would like to get into the RepRap scene. I've been wanting to build one for months and debated whether to purchase the MakerBot or assemble the Prusa RepRap. If we could setup meet ups in the Boston area, I would most definitely go for the RepRap route. My plan was to buy the parts off ebay that comes with the bolts and screws, leaving me to concentrate on purchasing the motors, rods, etc.

I have Solidworks 2009 installed on my computer (can save parts as .STL) and 3D model as a hobby.

Lets all keep in touch
Any one interested in helping a total n00b from Worcester learn OpenSCAD so I will know what I am doing when I get ready to start my build?
January 06, 2012 04:19PM
I'm cross posting just so the people above will hear about this if they are following replies.
[forums.reprap.org]

I'm looking to get reprappers together at artisans asylum in cambridge some friday night in january, 2012. Check out the link above and post if you can make it.
January 16, 2012 10:52AM
Hi mxcobra. I am in Centerville on the Cape and I have a printrbot comming soon (feb 2012). Maybe we can lean on each other as we get our machines up and running.
Hi, I'm an Education Associate at the Museum of Science. We (the Current Science & Technology team at the Museum) are developing a live presentation about 3D printing that we plan to give daily from Feb 5 through 25.

We're looking for people who might be interested in (a) presenting a 3D printing demo on the Museum's Current Science & Technology Stage, (b) lending us a 3D printer for 3 weeks to show visitors, (c) lending us some nifty printed objects for 3 weeks, or any combination of these.

It would be wonderful if we could actually demonstrate a 3D printer during our daily presentations; this would require that we not only borrow a printer from someone, but also learn how to use and maintain it. Would anyone be willing to help us with that? Or we could just show the printer to people but not actually turn it on.

We'd like to show some cool objects that have been 3D printed, especially objects that would be hard to fabricate any other way. It would be great to represent a range of materials that different 3D printers can work with, including plastic, metal, and organic/biological materials.

If you're interested in doing any of these things with MOS, please contact me soon at jsable at mos dot org.

Thank you very much! --Julia
February 22, 2012 06:55AM
I wish I had seen this! I would have helped.

I have a fully working and calibrated prusa in Braintree if anybody is interested!
March 29, 2012 09:58PM
Hi Everyone,
Sorry that I forgot about this post but I still live in Cambridge and I ended up building a rep rap prusa mendel. I'd love to get together if people were interested.

Talk to you soon,
Stephen
Im in Dorchester am also a noob at all of this and would love to learn. i would like to try and build a prusa so if anyone wants to help me out let me know. markdymek@gmail.com
TC
April 29, 2012 10:21AM
I'm in the Lowell area. I'm currently planning a build of PursaV2 + linear bearings. A friend up in the Merrimack NH area may be doing the same. I'm on the fence re: electronics and software. I'm seriously considering R2C2.
April 24, 2013 04:26PM
Hello all I'm also a total Noob in the Attleboro area. I considered the makerbot but I know I have access to a shop, and some mechanical items at my work in Avon Ma. so I will try my hand at building a repstrap. I'm not sure what model yet. I will probably be asking some very dumb questions in the near future.
January 03, 2014 02:27PM
Hello, I am a noob in the Ashland area. Is there any place I can go to see a working RepRap printer and ask some basic questions. I don't think it would take more than 30 to 45 minutes. Regards Brian
May 21, 2014 09:26AM
Nor wood here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login