Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reprap Boston meetup in 2012?

Posted by tinyenormous 
Re: Reprap Boston meetup in 2012?
January 24, 2012 12:56PM
I have no idea if I will have my printrbot by then or if it will be runnable. Otherwise I will just be a spectator. I will try to give you a few days notice either way.

Doug Butler
Centerville MA
January 24, 2012 01:18PM
I'm in.
I'll bring my prusa, and I'll see you at 11!

_Ross

ps if no one else responds, then this can also be classified as a "people named Ross" meetup.
Hi, I'm an Education Associate at the Museum of Science. We (the Current Science & Technology team at the Museum) are developing a live presentation about 3D printing that we plan to give daily from Feb 5 through 25.

We're looking for people who might be interested in (a) presenting a 3D printing demo on the Museum's Current Science & Technology Stage, (b) lending us a 3D printer for 3 weeks to show visitors, (c) lending us some nifty printed objects for 3 weeks, or any combination of these.

It would be wonderful if we could actually demonstrate a 3D printer during our daily presentations; this would require that we not only borrow a printer from someone, but also learn how to use and maintain it. Would anyone be willing to help us with that? Or we could just show the printer to people but not actually turn it on.

We'd like to show some cool objects that have been 3D printed, especially objects that would be hard to fabricate any other way. It would be great to represent a range of materials that different 3D printers can work with, including plastic, metal, and organic/biological materials.

If you're interested in doing any of these things with MOS, please contact me soon at jsable at mos dot org.

Thank you very much! --Julia
January 24, 2012 02:38PM
That could be a GREAT meetup!

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Ross

You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
I will be coming as well. May try to bring a friend. Neither of us have printers but both of us plan to start working on getting 2 put together pretty soon.
January 25, 2012 11:31AM
Wasn't ignoring you Julia. I own a fully built Prusa Mendle 3d printer but I'm still debugging a nice print from it. I'd like to help but I think you want someone further along than myself. Best of luck!

Ross

You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
January 27, 2012 11:40AM
I would love to join your meeting.
I have been searching for the right machine / configuration / kit to invest in,.. and would love to talk to active users about their experience with machine assembly and printing methodology. I live in Natick and work in West Newton. Thanks a million
January 29, 2012 03:54PM
I would also love to join in ..
I am completely new to 3D printing but would love to see the printers in action and talk to people about best ways to build one.
January 30, 2012 10:02AM
I ought to be able to make it, but I should know for sure within the week. I'll also know then whether or not I'm bringing my Prusa, which I'm aiming to get assembled in the next few days. I could instead (or also?) bring my cupcake, #1096, if anyone just starting out cared to see an older machine.

And I'd love to see one of the LeafLabs boards, Larry, if you're offering! I've had my eye on them for a little while, but haven't been able to justify getting one considering the pile of other mostly untouched ARM dev boards on my desk. Had no idea they were local; for some reason I assumed they were like Chinese like seedstudio.
February 16, 2012 03:19PM
Hi,

I'd also be interested in attending. I am completely new to the scene and don't have my own printer, but I am interested in seeing some in action and look forward to hopefully building my own in the next few months.

Thanks,
Rich
February 22, 2012 06:58AM
ThAwww man! I just saw this. It is my girlfriend's birthday that day. If I want to continue to have a girlfriend, i don't think I can make it !
February 22, 2012 08:17AM
Jeff,

Thanks again for hosting this. I'll be attending, barring disaster. I wish I had my (partially built) repStrap, but I won't until property division in the divorce gets settled.

Larry Pfeffer
February 22, 2012 09:22AM
Toehead: No worries, it's a small world, I'm sure we'll all run into each other at some point. I agree with your assessment. smiling smiley

Larry, looking forward to seeing you again. Don't worry about your RepStrap - we'll leapfrog that soon enough. smiling smiley

I'll email out directions to my house soon. If you're planning on going and haven't posted yet, do so, so I can send you a message!
If you want to make it easier, everyone who's going, email me so at jkeegan@keegan.org so I have your emails to send directions to.

..Jeff

--Jeff Keegan (Just Another RepRap blog)
February 22, 2012 10:50AM
I am afraid I will be a no-show too. It looks like a couple more weeks till I see my printrbot kit, so I would only be a gawker anyway.
I am somewhere between toehead and Larry, married and hope to keep it that way.smiling smiley

Doug Butler
February 22, 2012 12:10PM
Dude show up anyway.. Gawking is totally fine. You get to see printers actually working - I was starved for that before I got mine going!

February 22, 2012 01:14PM
Whoops, sorry for the delayed confirmation, but I will in fact be able to attend! My wife will likely tag along as well, though the prusa we've been building might not be complete by then. Here's hoping, though!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 01:15PM by matt.minuti.
February 22, 2012 01:53PM
Feel free to bring it along if you want, in whatever state it's in! See you Sunday!

February 22, 2012 02:00PM
I have a RepRap, its about 90% ... If I was to come, what are the odds I could get some help with the wiring & make this thing print ?

-Dave
February 22, 2012 02:04PM
Dave,

Since I don't have a RepRap or repStrap, but have helped build the electronics for a couple, If you're incompleteness is in the electronics, I could bring my test equipment and lend you a hand with that. Which version of the electronics do you have?

Larry
February 22, 2012 02:06PM
dave
BRING IT!
February 22, 2012 02:14PM
Yeah there's no question - bring it. I've got a crimper you can borrow, if you have the ribbon cable, pins, and housings.. As it is I'll probably be building or mounting the opto-endstops for the Prusa Mendel (iteration 2) that I built for the Museum of Science, as I'm picking that up from them on Saturday so I can finish it. Go to the hardware store and buy a supply of zip-ties. If you've got the parts, we'll help you through the rest.

Also, anyone else who wants to bring a bunch of tools, do so (just bring some bag or toolbox or something to keep them in so we don't mix up stuff and lose tools). It'd be a shame if 4 people wanted to solder something and we only had one soldering iron working. smiling smiley If in doubt, throw it in your bag.

Dave, you're in. Bring your RepRap. Done. smiling smiley

February 22, 2012 02:15PM
I just sent Jeff a PM ..

I also have about 5 pounds of PLA I can bring too... I would love to get this thing printing smiling smiley
February 22, 2012 02:26PM
Jeff,
I have 2 soldering irons, tons of tools and extra parts .. I have Gen 6 electronics, optos.. I do need to fab up some flags.. (maybe out of aluminum)

I have 2 hot ends, 1 is the makerbot type .. ( kiinda cheap ) the other is Luzbot : [www.lulzbot.com] (MUCH NICER)

I also have a full set of Gen4 electronics, and some extra stepper motors.. With a qick trip to the hardware store, easily enough parts to build a second Printer.. Would need bearings... ( anyone have an extra set?)
February 22, 2012 02:43PM
With respect to endflags, skip aluminum.. Find a can of soup somewhere in your pantry (or go buy a can of soup, or tomatoes, or something), open it, eat the food, and save the tin can. I made my first endstops out of aluminum and they're a pain - they wobble too much. Much better to make them out of a tin can. I have tin snips - just bring the can.

If you're just talking about 608 bearings, you can stop by a skate store and they should have some. I buy most of my bearings at [www.vxb.com] - I have no idea how long it'd take to ship.

February 22, 2012 03:25PM
Hey everyone. I have not been following this forum for a couple of months. Glad to hear about the meetup. I have a fully working MendelMax which I can bring.

@Larry_Pfeffer I'd like to see one of those boards and learn more about why we need them vs the 8bit boards.

@Julia-MOS-Boston I'd be interested in hearing what you have in mind and possibly doing a presentation for you. I know you said Feb 5-25, but if you're still doing this, let me know. I think it'd be interesting to show the audience how fast you can whip up something in sketchup and then print it out and have it in your hand a few minutes later.

-Dan
February 22, 2012 05:09PM
I just sent messages out to:

Jeff Keegan (me)
Chris Connelly
Larry Pfeffer
Sherpa Doug
Kent Flowers
Ross Freeman
Ross (tinyenormous)
Tasker
tbmaker
Matt Minuti
Benjamin Wade
Cards98 (Rich)
mxcobra (Dave)
cratos (Dan)

If you didn't get a message from me with directions, please let me know.
Again, this Sunday, Feb 26th, at 11am. Feel free to bring any 3D printers you want, any tools (in some sort of bag or toolbox to keep them from getting mixed up with others), etc.

Some of you asked about bringing appetizers/beer/etc. Feel free to bring whatever you want. We'll order pizza sometime during the day, feel free to bring your favorite soda/beer/etc. All Sam Adams bottles will be opened with RepRap'ed bottle openers.

This is looking like it'll turn out pretty good! See you all Sunday. Again, if you didn't get a message from me with directions, let me know! (or post here). If you did, please reply to confirm.

(and if you're someone not on this list who wants to go, you're welcome to come, with or without a printer! If you know me and know where I live, just stop on by.. if you don't, email me at jkeegan@keegan.org and I'll send my address)

February 22, 2012 07:57PM
I hope we have another meet soon. I have a prusa (Calibrated and working) in Braintree and would love to see how other people have their machines set up.
February 24, 2012 01:13PM
Is it too late to join in? I don't have a printer, but I've started gathering some parts...

John
February 25, 2012 06:08PM
See you all tomorrow! Some people asked about bringing food/beverages/etc. Feel free. I have nothing here and I think we're looking at potentially 20 people (and as many as 8 RepRaps, in various states).

February 26, 2012 07:51PM
Great to meet everyone !! Even that wise guy Jeff. Thank god he does not swear like a truck driver... LOL
You guys all gave me more motivation to get our reprap up and running. I have had many moments when I have wanted to lunch it right of my back deck!!

Thanks again for hosting Jeff , great people and a great time! Very happy we made the drive up from the cape

Dave
Tim
Tyler
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login