Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to RepRap and 3D Printing

Posted by tallguy 
New to RepRap and 3D Printing
September 04, 2014 11:23PM
Greetings, fellow enthusiasts!

As the title of the post states, I am new to the whole 3D printing experience. I am looking to get a printer going, but have no real idea of what or where. Something on the cheaper side for sure, but beyond that, I don't know. Any tips? Any hints? Anything? Thanks in advance!
Re: New to RepRap and 3D Printing
September 04, 2014 11:32PM
I should add that I have no real programming experience, but am willing to learn if needed. I do like to build and am still a LEGO fan from childhood. winking smiley
September 05, 2014 01:44AM
I would recommend the Smartrap http://reprap.org/wiki/Smartrap_mini.

If you want to do more types of plastic than PLA or want dual extruders, larger build envalope, etc, prusa i3 in one of it's many versions is a good option.

I printed a set of smartrap parts the other day and I couldn't believe how few pieces it has. filled a quart ziplock a little more than half way. smiling smiley

If your careful on your shipping costs you can do a smartrap for under $300.

Quinn
September 05, 2014 12:13PM
Thanks for the help, Quinn! I took a look at both and feel that with a larger build envelope and more nozzles the i3 might be more of what I am looking for. I will start sourcing my non-printed parts soon. Any tips on who's good and who to avoid?
September 07, 2014 11:45PM
the DIY Tech Shop i3x kit is unbeatable in price. Just plan on printing a bunch of upgrade parts as soon as you get it running, because some of the plastics are a strange variation and not always the best quality.

Kits are good because you save on shipping. On the other hand, if you don't mind cutting all your own smooth and threaded rod, and are good at soldering, you can save a lot of money if your careful where you piece stuff together online.
September 08, 2014 09:57PM
awesome! thanks again
September 10, 2014 01:46AM
This is great info ... wish I had known way back when I ordered my Prusa i3 from makergeeks 2 weeks ago. DIYTech looks like ready to ship vs. 2 weeks for makergeeks.
July 30, 2015 04:37PM
As a follow up to this, I did get a kit from DIYTech. It was a nightmare, the parts didn't fit, were misshapen, no instructions. It was basically junk and I still don't have a 3D printer (saving again).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login