Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Introductions

Posted by wulfdesign 
Introductions
November 17, 2009 03:15PM
I have a functional Rep(st)Rap machine in the Seattle area.
I went the Makerbot route since it seemed like the easiest short term solution.

I'm waiting on Makerbot getting PLA in stock since ABS seems to have
warping problems with larger prints so I(we) can start printing Mendel Parts.

I started a Seattle Makerbot Users Group (and soon RepRap)
[groups.google.com]
to try and organize local Makerbot users in case we want to have a meetup, local troubleshooting, etc.

Let me know if you have a functional RepRap in the Seattle area as well.
I'm expanding the group to include RepRap since one of Makerbot's objectives as a Rep(s)Rap machine to get more of them into the world.

Larry James
Wulf Design
[wulfdesign.blogspot.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[makerboat.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2009 11:11PM by wulfdesign.
Re: Introductions
November 18, 2009 02:05AM
Great!

You may want to meet up with these guys if you haven't done so already:
[www.seattlerobotics.org]
I think they just had a makerbot and candyfab demo last month.

Also, be sure to keep this forum alive with the occasional meetup announcement, even or especially if you're using an off-forum list to organize.

And be sure to upload improvements and new projects to the RepRap wiki, if you can, it's very helpful.
November 21, 2009 02:52AM
I am currently (well, since September) in the process of building an acrylic RepStrap (Darwin). I expect it to be fully assembled some time in December.

As I did have a sourcing discussion with some other reprappers in the area -- my absolute favorite local source for metric fasteners is Tacoma Screw. Just thought it is worth mentioning, as I know of others who were not aware of it.
December 05, 2009 02:01AM
Hello all, I'm currently fixing up a makerbot and I plan on using it to bootstrap a mendel.

Hi volty!
December 08, 2009 03:11AM
Yo!
I'm leading a club at Roosevelt High School in building a Rep(st)Rap headcrab for a large mill we happen to have, and simultaneously building a makerbot from scratch as my senior project.

I'm really interested in seeing where this project will go.
December 08, 2009 03:32AM
PhantomAGN, with your hardware, you're poised to do basic research in "Shape-Deposition-Machining". If you're interested. smiling smiley

e.g.
[biorobotics.harvard.edu]
[biorobotics.harvard.edu]

It means making really precise things, including really precise molds for polymer concretes and epoxy granites.

What type of mill?
April 26, 2010 10:53PM
Figured I'd stick my head in...

We're building a metal repstrap at the University of Puget Sound, which may or may not be finished before the semester ends. We're crossing our fingers, but who knows? Yup, good times.
April 28, 2010 02:38PM
Hi,
I am working on a Wooden Mendel Repstrap. I'm almost done with the mechanical stuff. Do you know about Maker Bot/3d printer night at Metrix Create Space? It's pretty fun and you get to see and share (and drool over) 3d printer stuff. [metrixcreatespace.com]

Sharon
May 13, 2010 09:12PM
Wanted to stop by and introduce myself! I'm currently working on building a Mendel! Okay...when I say 'working on,' I mean that I have one reprap motherboard purchased, unsoldered and that's it. I hope I can meet some of my fellow builders that live near me. I'm currently in the Olympia area and am wondering if anyone else is a bit south of Seattle. So if you are near by and can spare some knowledge, let me know and let's meet up!
June 23, 2010 01:14AM
Just thought I would introduce myself as well. I am a Mechanical Engineering student at the University of Washington and recently helped complete three Mendels. One belongs to the lab at the University (http://open3dp.me.washington.edu/), one belongs to me, and one to a fellow student. I have made some improvements that I have shared on Thingiverse and the main RepRap blog. I am currently printing a set of Mendel parts on my machine and am making some additional changes to help improve the process.

Nicholas C Lewis

[reprapbreeding.blogspot.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
May 12, 2011 03:14PM
As this is an Introductions thread please allow myself to introduce, my self.
My name is Michael and can be reached at strangerthanbland@gmail.com

I just joined the group here and the google side of things for the locals that are local to my location.
Currently I'm working on a repstrap that is in a dismal state; printer parts, plastic poles, and wood are the parts I've amassed.
I've spent the last many moons drooling over the genius of this community but now wish for a mentor and or good teem of good people to join forces with. My schedule is a bit funky with work and life but I'm truly passionate about not only building a reprap but also aiding this community in what ever void that I can fill.

strangerthanbland@gmail.com
I'm never as scary as I could be };-)
August 25, 2011 02:17AM
Anyone over here on the Spokane side of the state?

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic." ~ H.L. Mencken
August 30, 2011 01:24PM
Building a Tech Zone Mendel located in north Seattle I am a slow learner so lots of problems.
Re: Introductions-reprap
September 06, 2011 12:48AM
Devos, I'm on whidbey island studying reprap and all other additive manufacturing devices. I'd be interested in trading info and advice with you.
Cap
Medbot@live.com
September 08, 2011 02:30AM
Starting my reprap scheming. I have a good workspace, a degree in ME, decent programming skills, some $, but severely limited time. Any tips on how to best get up-to-speed and... eventually... printing?
September 20, 2011 02:26PM
Hi;

My name is Barry.

Thought I would Introduce my self and maybe give you a little frame of reference. For the last 12 years I have been a Dairy Equipment Mechanic working In Lynden, Washington. I do have a (Botmill Axis 2) RepRap Machine that I have gotten together. In addition to RepRap I do a lot of electronics, mechanics, write software, play with factory instrumentation, CNC machining, and do what I think is inventing. (BTW, You should also be aware I know nothing about any of that stuff.). I have a CNC Router that is 18" X 34" and a small lathe (really small) that I have converted to CNC control. I've got all kinds of 1/2 done projects and all kinds of stuff jammed in to a large single wide trailer along with 4 cats and a wife. Three weeks ago I had one of my vertebra in my neck replaced and I am sitting home for another three weeks trying to get my head back on straight before going back to work. (Doing pretty good) By now I am sure I have already given all of you way more information than any of you really wanted to know. O yah, I am really old. ( well not that old but pretty old).

I started putting my machine together back around May but I am still having some problems getting it to move. I thought I would check with this group to see if I could find someone around here, down there or anywhere that might be able to give me a hand getting it to work. I don't want to make this sound too negative but Botmill has pretty well written me off . I guess if you put enough machines out there one of them will have a problem. They have long since stopped responding to my emails and never found the time to sending the stuff they said they would to get this machine working. Maybe I said something unkind. The last couple emails I've gotten from Gil (the CEO) have had all these Legal Notices attached to them. sad smiley So now I am currently throwing some more money at it by ordering another Arduino Mega 2560 board and actually one of the Sanguinololu control boards so in case I need to replace the whole Gen 6 electronics control to make this work I can. Be warned I am new to the Arduino so I could be doing something really stupid at any point. I also just got a book "Getting Started with the Arduino" and went through it so that I could follow the IDE better. I did read through some of the peoples past post and will check the E-Stops settings. I still think It could be just be something in the configuration file. It looks like once it times out I think it's pretty well, game over. I'll get it back in here and connect it to the computer again now that I understand the IDE a little better.

Here is some of the history on the problem that I was conveying to the manufacture;

Aug 2ed
Now I can see the extruder trying to step and green flashing led are just a indication that someone has Loaded the Arduino with the LED flash test program. (Since then I read that they do that before they ship them from Italy) Now I am able to load the Arduino using the Arduino IDE environment. I have downloaded the Arduino 022 IDE and have sent it the Configuration h file from johnnyr-Sprinter-5d8e951folder. I also have got the latest revision of RepSnapper and with that I can see that when I connect the Printer the light comes on for 7 to 8 seconds and then goes out. The Interactive page shows the communications Log and I see that it is timing out on the attempt. So far I have no motor movement. As I select +10 and -10 on the different motors I see the command going out but I don't get any movement from the motors. Before I put power to the board I did turn the current adjustment down to 1/4 of the range but I think that should still give them enough to feel something from the motors. Baud rate is at 115200 on both the Com5 and in RepSnapper. I get a flashing green light when I select connect to the printer but then it times out on the attempt. After that there is a constant M105 (maybe watch dog reset) being sent to the printer. I am using the short USB that came with the kit in case the length is a problem but from what I have seen in the videos I wouldn't think so. My System is running XP Pro. I see no problems with the driver for the Arduino mega 2560. I did take the jumper off so that it would 1/8 step instead of 1/16th. (Now I will track down the Configuration commands line to change that but would still think I would get movement)

Aug 14th
I tried the Axis 2 (Botmill RepRap) on a different computer and got the same results. Seems to timing out and the printer on light in repsnapper goes out after about 6 seconds. I am assuming because this time I was running the older version right off the bot mill USB drive you sent with the kit so I didn't really have the communication buffer to look at. (this time because of the older version). A little side note is that at times I have been switching back and forth between different baud rates and have gotten what I considered to be a corrupted load and for a brief time have seen the extruder move but after about 2 minutes that stops. Lights on the Photo end stops seem to react and turn the LEDs off when I block them. I have checked all the basic connections many times so I don't think anything wrong there. It seems to down load the little LED flash program each time and runs that without timeouts. Watch Dog timer is Probably disabled on this simple stuff. When I send it the Tonokip configuration h file I go back to the same problems.

I have a project with a RS485 system I am stuffing into a case tomorrow but after that I'll set the Axis 2 back up and try some more stuff. I haven't taken the shield board off the Arduino yet to inspect the connections. Didn't want to rush into that unless I had too.

So if anybody has any ideas I would really, really appreciate any help. I hate to be the only one out there that doesn't have one working.

Thanks either way
March 24, 2013 12:20AM
Hi all, still printing? My name is Scott, and I'm a software engineer and musician originally from Cape Cod. I'm living in Ballard now and I recently built a Prusa i3 which I'm still refining and calibrating. I'm always up for getting together to compare notes, share ideas, and print stuff. I occasionally go to the 3D printer night at Metrix, which is always interesting. I even got to meet Johann — inventor of the Rostock/Kossel— my first time visiting, so that was auspicious. I hope to see you there!
December 25, 2013 04:52PM
Hi guys,

I just finished building a Lyman v3 extrusion machine. I'm now starting on building a Kossel Mini delta 3d printer. I live in Tacoma, but I might drive up to Seattle or down to Olympia for events. So far I've had trouble finding any recurring 3d printing related groups/events in the area.

Matt
February 16, 2014 09:31PM
Hello,

I'm Mark, and I moved to Seattle a few months ago. Brought my Prusa Mendel (built from a MakerGear kit) along for the ride, and it seems to be in decent working order, aside from a clogged nozzle. (Was printing fine with PLA, but I tried to switch to ABS, and I might have had the temp up too high…)

Scott, I'm also in Ballard. Been thinking about joining Makerhaus for some classes, though I've been super-busy recently. Perhaps later in the spring. Any other RepRap/robotics meetups going on nearby?

Cheers,
Mark
February 17, 2014 04:06PM
Hi Mark, good to know of another Reprapper in Ballard. I still attend 3D printer night on Thursdays at Metrix, always an interesting mix of novices and experts. The most active DIY group seems to be KingMakers, but they're in Bellevue, so they're a little out of the way. I haven't been to any of their meetups yet, but would like to check them out sometime. Right now I'm having a lot of fun just experimenting with the printer, making things in OpenSCAD, playing with Slic3r and Cura, tweaking the Marlin code. I've used the printer to make new parts for itself, mostly refined extruder designs, and various household items. I'm trying to share anything useful I make at my Thingiverse page. I've printed mostly with PLA (lately with very good luck on cold glass) and now I've got a roll of natural ABS I'm working my way through, printing Prusa i3 parts and selling them on eBay. I'd love to have a local two day build event around one of the new RepRaps, maybe Prusa i3 or Kossel, but I'm not sure how much interest there is. Pooling resources can save a lot on cost, so perhaps this is something to explore through group forums. Anyway, welcome to Ballard. If you ever want to get together and mess with printers sometime, or hit up Metrix, drop me a line.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login