Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

is there life

Posted by bgkdavis 
is there life
July 03, 2015 01:50AM
looks pretty dead round here, is there any RepRap life remaining in Brissy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2015 02:37AM by bgkdavis.
Re: is there life
July 06, 2015 04:02AM
Hi,

I am forever mucking around with my prusa i3, and I am slowly gathering bits to build an Eustathios variant. What about you.
July 06, 2015 05:57AM
Just built a Tri-Colour Mendel 3.
July 08, 2015 02:20AM
Nice, got any awesome prints that you are proud of, where in Brisbane are you.
July 08, 2015 04:32AM
Warner lakes

I'm Still getting to grips with it, had a few issues with the homing and orthographic compensation, but I've managed to print some pretty cool traffic cones grinning smiley, and have printed a replacement part for my busted shower head, which has worked pretty well.

I've been trying to print some gyro cubes but have not had a great deal of success, getting lots of artifacts and parts coming detached from the platen.
July 10, 2015 08:11AM
What kind of plastic are you using? What surface do you have on the bed?
July 10, 2015 08:32PM
Im just using PLA and the bed is Kapton tape, I think I've got a handle on the detachment issues, but the artifacts are a real pain, particularly when printining a part that has multiple colours per level.... heres what I mean

You see the cones are great, but the cube which prints great in single colour just looks really bad in multi colour even after I fettle it.... the failed print on the left shows what it looks like before fettling.

I may try it again with cooler extruder temps and increase the extruder retracts at colour change... maybe slow the print speed a little too
July 11, 2015 05:21AM
Which slicer are you using. I'm using Simplify3D, their latest release has an ooze shield. not sure what cura and slic3r have in their latest release.
July 13, 2015 07:13AM
I've been looking at Simplift3D, but whilst they do a lot for dual extruder printers their tri extruder printer support is not too hot, it does have some nice features though, will look forward to them extending the same level of support they have for dual extruders to tri coloured
July 13, 2015 07:20AM
Hey bgkdavis ,

Have you been to HSBNE? (http://hsbne.org/)

I haven't been there personally, but it could contain a lot of 3D Printing activity for you Maroons winking smiley.
It looks like a very well presented hackerspace based on the website.
July 14, 2015 01:33AM
Yes, I highly suggest checking Hackerspace Brisbane out.
I've only been once, but I can definitely say it is an awesome space with quite a few RepRap printer owners (and some other types of printers).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2015 01:33AM by Jo1212.
July 18, 2015 02:54AM
well Ive given Simplify3D a go and this is what the print looks like with the ooze shield still on the bed, you can see there are a lot of ooze artifacts, but they are all attached to the shield

Once I peel the ooze shield off then it looks like this, a LOT better. For most single extruder prints I think Slic3r is perfectly adequate, but it clearly lacks some multi extruder functionality that Simplify3D has, and definitely to be recommended in this case.

August 02, 2015 09:54PM
YES! I have a RepRap (recently purchased) which I am trying to get to run with Ubuntu 14.04. This is not being very successful so far (still haven't printed anything as yet). I am working through on-line manuals and documentation and forum comments to get a comms issue resolved. Would be interested in any help to resolve. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
August 03, 2015 09:23PM
Have fun, I know its not trendy to still use windows, but it works.
September 15, 2015 07:34AM
Hi OzzieEngineer, did you get it working yet? I have connected my printer to ubuntu and got it working, right now my printer is running off RAMPS connected to a raspberry pi running Octoprint. It's awesome. What electronics is on your reprap? Does it enumerate in Ubuntu?
September 15, 2015 08:15PM
Hi dansxmods,

Good news and bad news. Good news is that I got it all working and it prints great! I found that dust had accumulated in the extractor. Once I had totally cleaned it, it was extruding really well. I also found that my bed wasn't completely flat. The clips at each corner of the glass plate were pulling down the glass.

Now the bad news - I had to use Windows to get the software stable. I think it was more the hardware I was using (an old college laptop discarded by my son). Now it sits next to me in the study, printing happily on PLA. I want to try using a memory card to "cut the cord" so I don't need to have the PC connected all the time. I also still want to try Ubuntu again on a better piece of hardware, now I know the printer works fine.

Thanks for the reply!
September 16, 2015 05:56AM
Of course I now realise that by running on ubuntu, your actually using computers to drive the printer, I don't have that problem, both my printers are fitted with Duet controllers and run completely stand alone and are OS agnostic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2015 05:57AM by bgkdavis.

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
September 17, 2015 09:58PM
ozzieengineer,

Assuming your machine uses a standard control board (RAMPS 1.4 or similar), I strongly suggest getting a "RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller" [reprap.org] which has an SD Card slot, and also has a display screen and rotary control button. Once you have modified and flashed the firmware, you can "cut the cord" to your PC altogether, and drive / monitor all functions from the graphics display. Slice your STL fies on your PC, copy the G-Code onto the SD Card, and then put the SD-Card into the slot on the Smart Controller.

You can pick up Chinese clones on eBay for less than $20 (best $19 I've spent on eBay in a long time!), and if you don't have a compatible controller card, you can pick up a fully assemebled RAMPS 1.4 board for even less.

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
September 17, 2015 10:31PM
My board is a Melzi Ardentissimo with an SD card slot on it. The manual instructions (in Chinglish) says I can load a gcode file in the root directory and run it from there. I am yet to try it out.

Cheers!
September 17, 2015 11:15PM
There is also an LCD controller option for the Melzi called the Panelolu2 [reprap.org] but I have no experience with this hardware set-up.

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login