Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adrian's Pololu Electronics

Posted by windcatcher 
Adrian's Pololu Electronics
November 07, 2011 03:08AM
Hello All,

I'm a RepRap builder in the Okanagan and I've just built my first RepRap using Adrian's Alternative Mendel electronics based on the Arduino Mega and the Pololu A4983 stepper controllers. I also went with Wade's geared extruder as It seemed to be the favorite when I started this project.

The mechanical parts are all done but I'm having trouble getting the software to work.

I downloaded the latest build from the repository, "20110509" and placed it in my downloads directory. I extracted all of the files into seperate folders and named each accordingly. I installed the RepRap Software and set the com port to 6 as it is in my device manager.

I am running a 32Bit version of Windows 7 and I have the Arduino drivers successfully installed. To check this, I compiled and ran the "Blink" example in the Arduino examples folder and the lights on the Arduino Mega board blinked so I am pretty sure the computer is talking to the Arduino Mega 2560 through the USB port.

Here's where things start to go wrong.
I am trying to use the Arduino software version 0022 to compile and upload the code to the board but it won't verify so I don't want to proceed until it does.

When I go to verify/compile the 5D_GCode_Interperter file I get an error saying "CPUTYPE" not declared in scope.
In the Arduino >Tools portion I have the" Arduino Mega 2560" selected and I used "//" to rem out the other options in the features file without success.

Does anyone have experience with Adrians electronics and know what I can do to get things working?
I have followed every thread I could find on Adrian's boards but there doesn't seem to be many step by step tutorials specifically for them.

I'm new to the whole C++ stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Adrian's Pololu Electronics
November 07, 2011 03:14AM
Not many people I have talked to use the official reprap 5D firmware and Java host so I would suggest asking in:

[forums.reprap.org]
[forums.reprap.org]

or use a different firmware and host.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
November 07, 2011 03:39PM
Thanks for the reply Sublime.
Do you have any suggestions as to which firmware and host would work best with Adrian's Pololu Electronics?
November 07, 2011 04:54PM
Work best? hmmm.... I had a look through some of the different firmwares config files and none of them have default pin settings for Adrians Pololu board, But most if not all would work if you changed the Pins.h file to match Adrians board.

The easiest would be the official RepRap Java host and firmware you have already. You just may not get the results you see from people using some of the other more complicated slicers and host softwares.

If you would like to look into the others available:

Sprinter was the most common for the last year. But now the newest firmwares all have look ahead and they would be:

Marlin [github.com] (designed with Pronterface in mind as the host and Skeinforge as the Slicer)
SJFW (ScribbleJ's Firmware) [reprap.org] (designed with ReplicatorG in mind as the host which uses Skeinforge to slice)
Repetier [forums.reprap.org] (has its own host software)

New slicer software. [slic3r.org] [techpaladin.com]

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
November 07, 2011 09:14PM
Thanks Sublime,

I'll try changing the Pins.h file and see if it will verify/compile.
And maybe Marlin as well.
I'll let you know if I get it working.

Failing this I found a Ramps 1.4 Arduino Mega Sheild fully populated that I might try.
Maybe I'll have better luck with a manufactured board.

Cheers
January 28, 2012 03:20AM
The okanagan reprap is finally up and running.

Now all I have to do is all the tweeking required to get really good parts.

I'll post again once I can get a decent print.

Good luck to those brave or stubborn enough to build one.

It is not without problems but well worth the effort.

Cheers
January 31, 2012 02:39PM
Windcatcher

congratulations on finishing your rep rap!!

did you finaly use Adrian's pololu electronics or went for the 1.4 ramps??

you manage to solve the firmware problem??

what firmware and host did you finaly use?

thanks

...sory for my english i'm from argentina!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login