Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Manhattan Kansas / KSU / Kansas City

Posted by NightWork 
I just wanted to throw out there that several of us here at Kansas State University are now working on RepRaps. We are ordering parts for one, will be starting a second on in about a month, and have another 2 or three people already talking about building some more. If you are in the Kansas area throw a post up here and we can get together.

Ordering parts in bulk is always cheaper, and with the electronic boards being out of stock we are talking about having boards fabricated, and a few more people wanting them would make life easier.

~Nightwork
Update-
We are definitely building two RepRaps, and have several people interested in building additional ones. Right now we are waiting on parts, some friends are purchasing a Cupcake CNC and said they would print the first set of parts. But they will not get the Cupcake until October. We are looking at RepStraping the parts now.

If you are in Kansas and interested in RepRap let me know.

~Nightwork
We have ordered the all of the electronics for the first RepRap, and motors for two RepRaps. The CNC router which we are planning on RepStraping with is almost complete and the final parts for that have arrived. Hopefully we will be able to finish up the cnc router by next weekend and test out printing some parts the weekend after that. I got a good deal on Nema 23 motors on Ebay, with shipping and handling each motor was less then $19.00.

~NightWork
Just another update. We have the RepStrap ready to print parts and most of the parts needed for the RepRap have arrived. The key peice that has not arrived is the ABS plastic. Hopefully if will get here before this coming weekend.

If your interested you can follow along with my blog:

[wwW.joshupdyke.com]

~Nightwork
Re: Manhattan Kansas / KSU / Kansas City
September 08, 2010 09:16PM
Hi, Im currently enrolled up at Kansas State University, and am trying to get started on my reprap. I am thinking of going with the huxley when the designs become more stable and once i get the electronics built for it. Any suggestions on where to start?
Science teacher in Wanego Ks with a working Prusa Mendel wonders if there is anyone else in the area doing Reprap?
Recommend you follow the google group for CCCKC the KC hackerspace.
[groups.google.com]
August 01, 2013 02:02PM
I'm a student at KSU and I'm interested in building a RepRap this fall. I will be in touch soon!
@FarmBoy72
I'm currently president of the electronics design club there at KSU.

I just 'finished' building my own delta 3D printer and another of our members has a mendel90 as well
Feel free to look us up ( www.ksu.edu/eclub ) apologies the site is lacking some of our later projects.

I would highly recommend starting your first printer as a kit, saves a lot of hassle and gets you up and going faster, but we can talk more about this if you would prefer.

You can find the clubs contact information on our website (above).
August 01, 2013 10:45PM
@zaped212v2
Going with a kit to get started is what I was thinking.

I have been looking at this kit: [norcalreprap.com]

It seems to be a good kit to get started with, lowest price and most complete kit I have seen so far. Have any thoughts on this kit or other kits/models? I'm looking for a printer that is relatively low cost and has a large print area.

I also looked up your site, just about all of the projects on there are pretty interesting. I'm a member of the 1/4 scale tractor team there at KSU as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2013 10:51PM by FarmBoy72.
August 02, 2013 10:20AM
@FarmBoy72

hey this is zaped212v2, i just never logged back in so i found it easier to just type my name in. lol

Here is a Mendel90 kit you might be interested int. My friend got this exact kit and he loves it. one main reason he loved it (it came with a 70 pg step by step by step instruction manual that covered everything)

[hydraraptor.blogspot.com]

Its a kit that has come highly recommended from multiple sources and has proven its capabilities. (alot of my parts for my Deltabot im building were printed on his Mendel90)

I honestly was jealous of his kit when he got it, i purchased a huxley kit a few years back when Huxleys were brand new, and the kit i got "worked" to get me into the hobby but that was about it, never really got it printing how i would like to.

That being said, I would highly recommend making sure you have a well designed kit, that there is good documentation, and support for it.

Feel free to reach out to us @ eclub@k-state.edu
might take me a day or two to see the email, KSU webmail doesnt let me forward emails to that account to my own so i have to log in to check them.

Nathan.
April 13, 2014 04:53PM
EmptyStapler here: looking for some local RepRap'ers. Anyone still active here in the KC area? Is there a better community board for the KC area?

-ES

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2014 04:55PM by EmptyStapler.
May 11, 2014 10:08AM
Im in Salina, most people around here dont even know what a 3d printer is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login