Any Sumpod feedback yet?

Posted by Njones 
Re: Any Sumpod feedback yet?
October 08, 2011 05:02PM
ok?

richard
October 08, 2011 05:09PM
Perhaps he's not giving you a date, and saying it has nothing to do with you, because you no longer have an order? Haven't you ordered an eHuxley? I'm not sure what you're hoping to achieve here, since whatever happens, its not going to affect you in the slightest.

Unless, perhaps, you're in cahoots with a competitor? That's the only rational explanation I can see for this erratic behavior. Not very becoming if this is the case and very misleading to the peers on this forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2011 05:12PM by Holden.
October 08, 2011 05:15PM
no, i have no afiliation to anyone manufacturing 3d printers, I smell a rat and Im telling everyone about it, and they are laughing, so I will go, and you can waste your money. Well done Richard the game continues. Remember all his blatant lies, and the tuesday delivery written by thip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2011 06:28PM by duncanperham.
October 08, 2011 05:18PM
Bye!
October 08, 2011 05:27PM
duncanperham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> no, i have no afiliation to anyone manufacturing
> 3d printers, I smell a scam and Im telling
> everyone about it, and they are laughing, so I
> will go, and you can waste your money. Well done
> Richard the scam continues. Remember all his
> blatant lies, and the tuesday delivery written by
> thip.

I'm not convinced; seems like a lot of time and effort for you to put in, if you're not benefiting from it. Surely, if what you say is true, you'd have far far better things to do with your time?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2011 05:27PM by Holden.
lob
October 08, 2011 06:02PM
@Holden - It's called empathy. I post a lot of stuff online in regards to brewed-under-licence fake "imported" beer (Euro lagers such as Peroni made in Sydney under licence), fake Aussie microbreweries (beer supposedly from some small micro brewery in the Clare Valley, South Australia or the Snowy Mountains, but actually brewed under licence in Sydney, etc.) None of this affects me because I'm aware of the scam, I brew my own beer, and buy the real thing where I can find it, or buy from the few genuine microbreweries in Australia. According to you, I should just not worry because, er, none of this affects me.

I'm starting to think that Duncan has been correct all along. Perhaps it has been just an elaborate scam, with the mdf cut frames and a few ordered supplies made to help con more people into buying (Round 2). I think the very strange cnc funding campaign is the give away though...
October 08, 2011 06:15PM
lob Wrote:
> @Holden - It's called empathy. I post a lot of
> stuff online in regards to brewed-under-licence
> fake "imported" beer (Euro lagers such as Peroni
> made in Sydney under licence), fake Aussie
> microbreweries (beer supposedly from some small
> micro brewery in the Clare Valley, South Australia
> or the Snowy Mountains, but actually brewed under
> licence in Sydney, etc.) None of this affects me
> because I'm aware of the scam, I brew my own beer,
> and buy the real thing where I can find it, or buy
> from the few genuine microbreweries in Australia.
> According to you, I should just not worry because,
> er, none of this affects me.
>
> I'm starting to think that Duncan has been correct
> all along. Perhaps it has been just an elaborate
> scam, with the mdf cut frames and a few ordered
> supplies made to help con more people into buying
> (Round 2). I think the very strange cnc funding
> campaign is the give away though...

I can understand empathy for other people left in the lurch, but Duncan seems to be obsessed. He even created an account here on this forum for the sole purpose to bash the Sumpod and attack Richard! Go ahead and check, that's all he's ever posts about. I'll agree that Richard's enterprise has gotten off to a poor start and his mouth has clearly made promises that his ass can't cash (to use a colorful bit of Americana), but Duncan's behavior has been absolutely repellant. I have nothing whatsoever to do with the Sumpod, Richard Sum, indiegogo, or any competitor, but I can tell everyone here that the reason I post on this thread is because I am so turned off by Duncan's constant inflammatory attacks on Richard. The level of rudeness and aggressiveness he has displayed toward one man whose greatest sin is fumbling on his first business venture is appalling to me. Duncan even got his money back and no longer has any stake in the matter. This goes beyond the desire to warn others. It feels personal.
lob
October 08, 2011 06:32PM
Pointedstick, Richard knows how to build cnc machines. The funding campaign (#4) says all those who order cnc model 1 will have it within 2 weeks from the end of the campaign. Do you really accept then his claims regarding production issues with making the mdf frames? If it isn't a scam, and he's just disorganised, and (cough) somewhat underestimates the labour component required to produce and package the sumpods, then why doesn't he just sit down, make himself a cup of tea or coffee. Do a few calculations, etc, and work out how many sumpods he can produce and package per week (5? 10? ?) Then post here [since he's already posting here, and his website seems to be permanently down], when the first small batch will go out so people can start having (i) some confidence it's not an elaborate scam, and (ii) a (cough) rough idea of the delivery date. Too much to ask????
October 08, 2011 06:44PM
lob Wrote:
> Pointedstick, Richard knows how to build cnc
> machines. The funding campaign (#4) says all those
> who order cnc model 1 will have it within 2 weeks
> from the end of the campaign. Do you really accept
> then his claims regarding production issues with
> making the mdf frames? If it isn't a scam, and
> he's just disorganised, and (cough) somewhat
> underestimates the labour component required to
> produce and package the sumpods, then why doesn't
> he just sit down, make himself a cup of tea or
> coffee. Do a few calculations, etc, and work out
> how many sumpods he can produce and package per
> week (5? 10? ?) Then post here , when the first
> small batch will go out so people can start having
> (i) some confidence it's not an elaborate scam,
> and (ii) a (cough) rough idea of the delivery
> date. Too much to ask????

That sounds like an excellent idea. Richard, if you're still around, you should do this. And if you can't fix your site yourself, you should hire someone to get it up ASAP. Without a web site, you don't exist. Maybe someone here on this forum; I'm sure there are webby folks around who would love a quick gig. But the natives seem to be getting restless. More communication is always better than less, and left in the dark, people tend to assume the worst.

The biggest reason I don't believe it's a scam is that Richard keeps coming around to personally address criticism. If he were a scammer, he'd take the money and run, not take the money and stick around to talk to the people who he just scammed. I mean, what kind of crappy scammer initiates communication with the people who he's trying to scam after they suspect him? It just doesn't smell like that to me. Seems more like Richard is in over his head for a few reasons:
1. He started his campaign too early, before he had much more than a prototype
2. He dramatically underpriced the Sumpod—leading to far more demand than he anticipated
3. He's new to the business of manufacturing and shipping products directly to customers, with the communication and notice they expect and all the supplier dramas that inevitably emerge

These are just guesses going on the information I've gleaned from the ingiegogo web page and relevant forum thread here. I could be quite wrong, who knows, but my gut doesn't tell me that Richard is a scammer, just an honest guy who's disorganized, poor at communicating (we're all engineers here, have a heart!), and who over-promised and is now under-delivering. It's pretty common in the business world, really.
October 08, 2011 08:24PM
Pointedstick Wrote:
- The
> level of rudeness and aggressiveness he has
> displayed toward one man whose greatest sin is
> fumbling on his first business venture is
> appalling to me. Duncan even got his money back
> and no longer has any stake in the matter. This
> goes beyond the desire to warn others. It feels
> personal.

Quoted for truth.
October 08, 2011 09:14PM
> It feels personal.

Feeling like you've been scammed, even if you do manage to get your cash back, sorta is personal.

With the site being down for several days now, the lack of forthcoming info on what's going on and all that, I can see how people might think this IS a scam. It's not like this world's short on scammers or anything. I hope it's not but can see how people might think it is.
lob
October 08, 2011 10:42PM
Richard has also "edited" - more like deleted - his previous very long and somewhat rambling post on this forum where he spoke about loosing money on this venture, using his credit cards to finish off the orders, etc, etc. His post now just reads: "No comment." It's all very peculiar...
October 09, 2011 08:01AM
Maybe he just didn't want to broadcast that to the entire world when he thought about it. If he were scamming us then why get rid of it? What difference would it make?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2011 08:01AM by thip.
October 09, 2011 11:15AM
I removed it as there was no point. We have one who is intent on bringing down the enterprise because he cannot get one and another who started by showing concern which seemed to hide his true intention.

the lies and speculation are i suppose to put doubt into the minds of buyers and future buyers. unfortunately people have been and seen the unit and shown the reason for the regrettable delay and soon I will offer kits for next day delivery.

the cnc one is a version of the machine that i used for prototyping. cnc two will be more a colaborative effort based on the sumpod.

seriously though why the hatred on mdf? have you removed it from your emaker? plywood i read has similar glue.

if you were near i would invite you but still dont get your stance given your initial caring attitude.

Richard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2011 01:16PM by progomez.
October 09, 2011 01:12PM
Richard, could you not close the forum but leave the rest of the website in place,.. especially the "News" section.

A few photo's and video's of work in progress would only take an hour or 2 and would save all the hassle you're getting here,.. so make it a priority!
October 09, 2011 01:23PM
hi

thanks for the advice and the site will be back soon.

once machines are delivered i hope duncan keeps to his word and leaves the sumpod alone. unfortunately doesnt seem likely after his abusive and irratic manner when i tried to talk to him, adult to adult.

lets hope the emaker keeps him busy. i ask jm to please send it asap.
Martin K.
October 09, 2011 02:35PM
progomez Wrote:
> I removed it as there was no point. We have one
> who is intent on bringing down the enterprise
> because he cannot get one and another who started
> by showing concern which seemed to hide his true
> intention.
>
> the lies and speculation are i suppose to put
> doubt into the minds of buyers and future buyers.
> unfortunately people have been and seen the unit
> and shown the reason for the regrettable delay and
> soon I will offer kits for next day delivery.
>
> the cnc one is a version of the machine that i
> used for prototyping. cnc two will be more a
> colaborative effort based on the sumpod.
>
> seriously though why the hatred on mdf? have you
> removed it from your emaker? plywood i read has
> similar glue.
>
> if you were near i would invite you but still dont
> get your stance given your initial caring
> attitude.
>
>
> Richard

I read the sweet words since months, yet i feel to see any fruits.
Sure that's no con-man's work here but does that really matter?
Is it reasonable to have raising doubts about Richards abilities here?
Does his arrogant attitude help? Does a shutting down his forum help?
Aren't all indiegogo contributions DONATIONS with no liability for Richard to actually deliver what he promised?
As of today noone has seen a working sumpod apart from Richard and propably his daughter?
Yet more and more indiegogo campaigns pop up with the times to file a Paypal dispute running out.

Can any of you UK residents give me a hint of where to buy (legal) information about people and where to file for money collection. I just want to be on the safe side and be the first in line should Richard file for bancrupcy. All these negative opinions and disappearing Information around the sumpod project recently do concern me a little bit.

I don't want to cause any trouble. I have a strong opinion though of how to treat people who trust you with lots of money. And this is where me and Richard obviously have very different views.
October 09, 2011 02:42PM
martin please contact me by email or phone although no similar name is on my list.

richard

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2011 02:48PM by progomez.
October 09, 2011 02:44PM
I don't think he took the forums down because of negativity on it... He told us it would be down until today as he worked on it (adding the instruction manual I assume)

Edit: Chunk removed, think there is limited use in saying it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2011 03:07PM by thip.
lob
October 09, 2011 04:53PM
/ttp mode activated

Ok Richard, the idea that all the sumpods are gonna go out in one large production run, that your website is down, that you edit some of your posts to the point where they're deleted, that you delete posts on your website, and on the funding campaigns, that you tell people they're going out...with tracking numbers...and then nothing...silence, and that you don't really answer/respond properly to concerns people raise here, doesn't mean you're way over your head and spent most of the money you raised on "other stuff". No, it just means that you're AN ECCENTRIC GENIUS perhaps with a mild touch of autism. You clearly are the victim of an obsessed and slightly mad Duncan....if it wasn't for Duncan Round 3 would have raised $20,000+ by now. The cnc machine (#4), probably well in excess of $100,000. If I've contributed in any way to the demise of these NEW funding campaigns, then I apologise immensely. [Duncan, if you're reading this, for cod-sake, aplogise man! And order a cnc machine or two to help out also.] And don't worry about MDF dust (or the gas from those raw mdf frames that you can't smell or see that's constantly being emitted.) Sure a few lab rats got cancer. So what? We're a completely different unrelated species made by the Bearded Bloke in the Sky about 6,000 years ago. There's too many do-gooders in this world Richard. They've stopped smoking in pubs, crap on constantly about the odd little oil spill; They want to shut down coal power plants just when clean-coal technology is probably only 6 months away! They say that we over-fish the oceans... But worst of all, these pricks went after poor old James Hardie....a little asbestos never hurt anyone. And so too with all that mdf dust in your workshop. *burp*
October 09, 2011 05:01PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2011 05:16PM by thip.
October 09, 2011 07:32PM
lob Wrote:
> /ttp mode activated
>
> Ok Richard, the idea that all the sumpods are
> gonna go out in one large production run, that
> your website is down, that you edit some of your
> posts to the point where they're deleted, that you
> delete posts on your website, and on the funding
> campaigns, that you tell people they're going
> out...with tracking numbers...and then
> nothing...silence, and that you don't really
> answer/respond properly to concerns people raise
> here, doesn't mean you're way over your head and
> spent most of the money you raised on "other
> stuff". No, it just means that you're AN ECCENTRIC
> GENIUS perhaps with a mild touch of autism. You
> clearly are the victim of an obsessed and slightly
> mad Duncan....if it wasn't for Duncan Round 3
> would have raised $20,000+ by now. The cnc machine
> (#4), probably well in excess of $100,000. If
> I've contributed in any way to the demise of these
> NEW funding campaigns, then I apologise immensely.
> And don't worry about MDF dust (or the gas from
> those raw mdf frames that you can't smell or see
> that's constantly being emitted.) Sure a few lab
> rats got cancer. So what? We're a completely
> different unrelated species made by the Bearded
> Bloke in the Sky about 6,000 years ago. There's
> too many do-gooders in this world Richard. They've
> stopped smoking in pubs, crap on constantly about
> the odd little oil spill; They want to shut down
> coal power plants just when clean-coal technology
> is probably only 6 months away! They say that we
> over-fish the oceans... But worst of all, these
> pricks went after poor old James Hardie....a
> little asbestos never hurt anyone. And so too with
> all that mdf dust in your workshop. *burp*

Why stop at banning smoking in pubs? I say ban the pubs altogether! After all, the only thing you do at a pub is drink, and alcohol is a net social evil! Why, if we had no alcohol, there would be no drunkenness, less domestic violence, no drunk driving, just imagine! And speaking of cars, you'd better ban them too; I hear tens of thousands of people die every year in flaming wrecks. That's much too great of a danger to expose the public to! And kitchen knives as well, don't you know they're sharp!?! I hear the UK has a terrible problem with malcontented yobs stabbing each other, and the proliferation of dangerous kitchen knives is the culprit! That coal power plant idea was a good one. Really, we should just shut down all those nasty polluting power plants. Coal, oil, natural gas, nuclear, they all need to get the axe! Affordable electricity needs to take second place to preventing pollution! Who cares of some people can't fill their houses with electricity-wasting gadgets with inefficient power supplies that can eat upwards of 300 watts… they need to be conscious of the planet! Who cares about the forward progress of civilization; pollution is a menace! We all have the right to live in a nice safe world where everything that's remotely dangerous to anyone's health is outlawed. Wait… those RepRap machines use a lot of electricity can get hot enough to cause a fire, and almost none of them have any kind of safety devices! That's against the fire code, I'm calling the police! This forum is a haven for dangerous criminals who think they can just build whatever machines they want without regard for public safety or the common good! Quick, bring in a benevolent government who can look out for the public's interest and destroy this unnecessary and wasteful hobby enjoyed by only a small minority who have become too used to believing that they can run roughshod over everybody else's right to feel safe from 3D printers catching on fire or using too much of the world's plastic supply!
October 09, 2011 08:13PM
?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2011 08:42PM by progomez.
lob
October 09, 2011 08:47PM
@Pointedstick I had no idea you were such an over-the-top-ban-everything-greenie. - Or are you just taking the piss thinking that I was taking the piss? "/ttp mode" btw stands for, um...thinking, er, 'tender talking person mode." Pretty sure anyway.

If you're not taking the piss, and you're dead serious about building a better world where cities are planned with multiple small villages each with employment hubs, and most people can also work from home using the virtual office. Almost no one owns a car, but rather utilizes a rental scheme for holidays. No new roads need to be built, instead all that wasted money is put into clean public transport systems, establishing local based [within 100 mile radius] manufacturing, local based food supplies, etc....all I can say is you're almost as visionary as Richard is. And as for Reprap, I'm sure there's a pedal power/solar/wind/Whatever Richard is working on next solution....maybe that could be fundraising campaign #5...
October 10, 2011 03:11AM
I'm sorry to break this to you lob, but I think he might have been taking the piss. sad smiley

May I suggest that you go and make a new thread on the dangers of MDF? You'll be able to reach a wider audience rather than just those of us who are interested in how our sumpods are doing.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 06:22AM by thip.
lob
October 10, 2011 03:30AM
Na, it's not the main topic here...let's not get sidetracked. But if you want to cut up some mdf and breath in the dust and odorless gas be my guest. The information on mdf and cancer is out there for anyone with a preliminary understanding of how a search engine works.
lob
October 11, 2011 03:46PM
On Monday 25 JULY at 11:29am, 2 1/2 months ago...almost quarter of a YEAR ago, Richard wrote on his website under News:

"Shipping Timescale.....Hello buyers of SUMPODs....thank you all again for being the first to buy a SUMPOD.....let me fill you in on where we are.... calling suppliers to add the remaining machine amounts to each order.....I will start shipping the first few at the beginning of next week... "

Meanwhile someone else has just bought a Sumpod (Round 3). That's just under $2,000 raised so far for round 3. And you can add to that requests for postage payments.

I think in another 2 1/2 months when practically no sumpods have been delivered there will still be plenty of people convinced that Richard is just a disorganized genius with a few prototype/production issues to sort out. That the Sumpod will be coming soon/any day now/early next week.

Also, the lack of video [probably a combined total of 40 seconds ever shot] suggests to me that the sumpod doesn't really work. Probably jams up regularly or there is some other issue. The guy who's assembling the one kit if he's for real, and not Richard himself, will find this out shortly. ...Then Richard will just say he obviously assembled it poorly, or maybe there's a problem with the electronics....I'll send a replacement part "early next week."

Why does Richard keep posting here if he's a scammer? Maybe he's trying to squeeze out a few more orders, and is having "fun". He can't believe how he's scammed $40,000+ out of you suckers. The photo depicting all the OPEN boxes ready to start placing sumpods into was a brilliant touch. Yeah, cutting all those stupid mdf frames was a pain, but he had lots of sheets of mdf sitting around from his failed furniture business anyways, so it didn't really cost anything. People were starting to ask questions, and Jez he'd only raised $20,000 when those workshop photos went up. Well worth it.

Richard are just you just one person, or are you part of an organised crime gang?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2011 03:50PM by lob.
October 11, 2011 03:56PM
Have you bought a Sumpod lob? If not, why are you posting in this thread? What you have just said has been said so many times already it's getting rather boring. Your input is not really very constructive. If you can come back with definitive proof that Richard is scamming us then be my guest, I would love to see it and I'm sure others would too. Until then please would you stop with the speculation and unsubstantiated accusations. At best you are winding me up. at worst you are acting in a positively libellous manor. Please just wait. You do not have the full picture. Those of us who are actually due a machine have had far more communication with Richard than you are aware of.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2011 03:59PM by thip.
lob
October 11, 2011 04:05PM
Well, mate, I've had a lot of communication from a guy from Nigeria. That's why I'm convinced he's not a scammer. The police, and even the bank, have actually contacted me about all these weekly deposits of $500 I've been making. But, no, he seems really genuine, and I will get all my money back (plus huge thank you bonus and interest.) Of course, I'm rather broke at the moment, because I've also started conversing with this Russian chick online after she emailed me out of the blue one day. Turns out her family are total assholes and they don't give her any money or food, or anything. I've been sending her weekly payments also, and she wants to move out to Australia to live with me. (Not sure how I'm going to break this to the wife : )

*burp*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2011 04:10PM by lob.
October 11, 2011 04:10PM
I will ask again. Have you actually bought a Sumpod?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login