Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Show Off Your Work Bench!

Posted by MrJohn 
Show Off Your Work Bench!
May 31, 2011 07:43PM
I am currently moving into a new place and finally have the space to make a decent work station. Here is a photo of my previous bench, just an Ikea table half open.

Show off your bench and give others some good ideas on how to get this beast under control.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2011 07:47PM by MrJohn.

-John, San Diego, CA

www.youtube.com/user/GeoDroidJohn

MrJohnEcker on Twitter, Gmail
Re: Show Off Your Work Bench!
May 31, 2011 09:39PM
In my workshop the Mendel computer is an old P4 on the right and in the far left is an old P4 as a backup server for the family both running XP.

Machine is a Mendel parts mendel

June 01, 2011 12:44PM
Mine consists of me sat on an old scrap of carpet. I might break out the cheap workbench from time to time.

[imgur.com]

I sit cross-legged, and arrange the tools around me.

I'll be impressed by anything that extends in to the third dimension!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2011 12:48PM by OliverJenkins.
June 01, 2011 01:32PM
Working Prusa on the left, Mini-Mendel/Huxley/Work-In-Progress on the right, with the dog underneath.

If you can afford the room I highly recommend creating a workspace where you can stand up - I recently set up the table on the right and find it much more comfortable to tinker at.

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
Attachments:
open | download - 20110601-IMG_7317.jpg (261.7 KB)
June 02, 2011 12:42PM
Here is my "work" bench. Though I generally go there to avoid work smiling smiley Cupcake is printing happily with a glass platform and kapton on heated bed. The prusa is nearly done, Gen7 Electronics, everything moves correct distance on command, extruder isn't hooked up yet. Above the prusa is a prusa repstrap I worked on a little using composite deck board as vertices. Below is a mendel variant I am messing with using the vinyl washer vertex idea from Mrkim as seen here [www.thingiverse.com].
Attachments:
open | download - StudySmall.JPG (229.6 KB)
June 05, 2011 12:14AM
you guys are making me feel bad, i think i have spent too much time in my basement, is that bright yellow thing still in the sky during the day.?

i will have to post a picture of mine after i get things a little cleaner.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
June 05, 2011 06:34AM
LOL.. @dissidence must take some pictures here too ~ I keep spreading out from the Home Office to Conservatory and Dining room I have just recently taggeted a 1/4 of the entrance hall as my next space grabbing conquest.. Midge is gradualy getting used to seeing CNC or Repstrap machines all over the house now.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
July 10, 2011 11:31PM
Been picking up and organizing a bit...Still need the Peg board and storage cabinets.

Full album

-John, San Diego, CA

www.youtube.com/user/GeoDroidJohn

MrJohnEcker on Twitter, Gmail
July 11, 2011 08:13PM
MrJohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Been picking up and organizing a bit...Still need
> the Peg board and storage cabinets.

I like your kludge for mounting a filament spool! I may have to steal that idea...

Germanicus
July 11, 2011 08:47PM
my workbench can be seen in this video: [vimeo.com]

Just a desk in my study room. Huxley takes a small corner.
July 12, 2011 06:22AM

July 12, 2011 09:05AM
Very nice, Greg. I see the new Prusa felt X-motor-ends, your new LM8UU linear bearing X carriage and linear bearing Y axes. That's pretty much what I'm building with my repstrap, though rather slowly due to hot end leaking problems. Are you using irons to heat the heated bed? Cunning idea. I still can't see why nobody has built an upside down Z axis Prusa, with the motors at the bottom. It would take one extra rod (or remove one of the top ones), a couple of extra bar clamps and 2 x the Huxley top Z axis rod bracket. Maybe a Y axis clearance issue? I intend to try it. It would take the strain off the couplings. Which I see you've printed quite a few of!
July 12, 2011 09:52AM
Nopheads couplings prove reliable by many users: [www.thingiverse.com]
July 12, 2011 10:11AM
Yes the tension is in the strong direction, the plastic is no longer required to flex and is somewhat insulated from the heat of the motor shaft, so I can't imagine them failing. I haven't run them myself yet but I see no real advantage to inverting the axis.

I don't understand the concept of felt bearings though. Is this felt as in the soft cloth? How does it constrain the motion to follow the rod?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 12, 2011 05:34PM
droftarts Wrote:
> Are you using irons to heat the heated bed?

Yes for the 2 in the front, the one at the back has a stove heating element a dimmer and an SSR.
July 13, 2011 09:35AM
Here's mine. Only recently moved into the flat, so it's a bit spartan. I'm building a Prusa, vertices come in handy for holding the homebuilt, cardboard spool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2011 09:35AM by droftarts.
July 21, 2011 12:57PM
If I counted correctly, Prusas on this thread are currently outnumbering Mendels 6 to 2.

So......

Advantage Mendel tongue sticking out smiley grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2011 09:45PM by eckertech.
July 21, 2011 06:41PM
According to a new survey by OfficeMax, having a messy desk could actually be holding back your career.

53% of people surveyed say they think negative things about coworkers who have messy desks. 40%…including managers and bosses…say that they think a messy desk is a sign that you’re NOT SMART.

13% of people say they have a lower overall opinion of their messy coworker AS A HUMAN BEIGN. 4% say it’s a sign you’re really bad at your job. And 3% think a messy desk is a sign that you’re NOT SMART.

46% of the people surveyed said that they’re planning to try to keep their work space cleaner this year than they did last year.

77% say that when things are messy or cluttered, it hurts their productivity. And 9% say that being surrounded by a mess makes them GAIN WEIGHT.

I make no appologies >grinning smiley<

July 22, 2011 01:23AM
Lol I wish I had so much space to have five mendels :p

reprapworld.com
PLA, ABS, PETG multiple colors (3 and 1.75 mm) €16,49 / kg
Megatronics 3.0 €79.99 / Minitronics €37,19
July 22, 2011 12:30PM
Im working on getting mine put together.

I have my oscope, dc supply and freq generator on my dinner table but thats also my tinker table.
I think i can find a corner to put it on though.

My prusa is in transit so i will know how big of space i need for the printer.

It seems i made the right decision with a prusa.

All i know is i can see my self with 4 or 5 of these in the garage just whizzing away in a few years.
Along with all the other CNC stuff i want to do: PCB router, Maybe a CNC dremel for plexiglass cuts, the possibilities are endless.
September 15, 2011 01:56AM
Finally got a chance to clean it up a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2011 01:56AM by Andrew Diehl.
September 15, 2011 01:19PM
Haven't really moved mine out to the garage yet...

September 15, 2011 02:14PM
Case, how many Yodsta's have you printed yet? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

ISTAR Scope Club
September 15, 2011 02:21PM
BoriSpider Wrote:
> Case, how many Yodsta's have you printed yet? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Heh. Absolutely zero. Still working on getting my configs straight. This pic of my office certainly could be used for a SW-based hidden object puzzle.
September 16, 2011 04:42AM
Case, that's the Prusa not the Huxley right?
What's the statics on the Huxley?

ISTAR Scope Club
September 16, 2011 05:03AM
Still waiting for the eHux. Hopefully the kit will be shipping to me next week.

... in other news... lined up the configs on the prusa and am working on my first replication set!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2011 05:08AM by TheCase.
September 16, 2011 09:04AM
@Wildseyed - I see your cluttered desk and raise you a cluttered workbench. And the people who respond to surveys have way to much time on their hands. If your workspace isn't a disaster or at least somewhat of a mess, you're not busy enough winking smiley

This is actually only temporary for me since I won't be able to print very well in the garage once the winter comes. I have an area staked out in the basement, but I've been too busy (hence the state of the bench) to get it all organized and set up so that I can promptly make a mess of it.

Cheers smileys with beer

.: repraponaut.blogspot.com :.
September 16, 2011 04:54PM
Stuff dreams are made of.

ISTAR Scope Club
September 16, 2011 11:47PM
Okay, I'll bite on this one.

I've been buying parts to build my Prusa since the beginning of the year or so. I finally printed my first model in August. I'm slowly learning how to work with skeinforge, and AutoDesk 123D and still have lots of work to do.

In the photo my printer is printing the hub for a spool holder I'm building. Yup, I tangled up all that awesome yellow filament and can't seem to get it completely untangled again.

I still have to do cable management work on the printer, print spare parts, and probably continue to tweak software for better quality prints but as frustrating as it's all been, I love watching the things I draw turn into real objects.
Attachments:
open | download - workstation.jpg (586.3 KB)
September 17, 2011 01:45AM
Ugh - the dreaded loose filament tanglebeast! Seems like a good solution though. I should have gone that way instead of spending about four hours working out the near-knots in a loosened roll of 1.75 PLA! Had that stuff strung out 200 feet down my hall...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login