Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Configure Marlin for a new LCD confused smiley

Configure Marlin for a new LCD confused smiley
April 16, 2018 05:48AM
Hi everyone!

So I recently got my hand on an old Da Vinci Pro 1.0 3in1 (My work was going to throw it out).
The printer didn’t work well so I decided to retro fit the electronics.
I’ve replaced the main board with a MKS Base 1.4, replaced the hot end to an E3D V6 hot end and added a raspberry Pi 3 with OctoPrint inside the electronics compartment!

Now I want to use the original LCD and button panel for my new electronics. I’ve done some beeping around with my multi meter and figured out the schematic of the board and the pinout of the ribbon cable. I’ve also designed a custom board to easily plug into the EXP1 and EXP2. Problem is that I don’t know how ill configure the firmware to support the buttons and the screen.
Before you post a bunch of hate about the crap quality of the Da Vinci and that I shouldn’t bother. I do have a UM2 and an i3 at home as well. I’m doing this for fun not for practicality!

LCD:
Standard 16x4

Button panel:
Button: Up
Button: Down
Button: Left
Button: Right
Button: Enter
Button: Home

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out smiling smiley

IL also post all of the PCB board files and documentation on my GitHub when done with this, sharing is caring!
Re: Configure Marlin for a new LCD confused smiley
April 16, 2018 07:47AM
It sound like this has individual buttons... each requiring a sperate io pin?

I would look at converting it to an analogue input eg the P 802 zonestar has 5 buttons and is already supported in marlin "ZONESTAR_LCD"

see this cct of how to convert to analog...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2018 07:50AM by Dust.
April 16, 2018 08:17AM
Yes that is correct the original board for the Da Vinci uses the buttons as individual inputs. All have a individual Pull Up resistor that is 100K if I’m not mistaken (I’m not home at the moment so I can’t check my PCB files)
It would be more practical to use them all on a single input of the ATmega2560 because then id only have to use one cable from EXP1. Not really sure how id go about implementing one more button for the menu/ enter depending on how the "Zone Star" Menu pin is configured.

I’m really not familiar to the Marlin firmware, the most complex thing I’ve done is change end stop configuration and adding a capacitive probe to the Auto Bed leveling…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2018 08:18AM by ILikeToEatYellowSnow.
April 16, 2018 08:45AM
I would just ignore the home button for now..

To implement that is going to require editing the marlin firmware...
April 16, 2018 09:13AM
The use of all buttons would be optimal but could wait for now I guess. I would still want to have one button for "Home" and one for "Enter".

How are the "ZONESTAR_LCD” button configured and how do they correspond to the EXP1 pinout?

By inspecting the schematic of both the MKS Base 1.4 (Screen2.png) and ZonStar (screen.png) the EXP1 pinouts do not correspond to each other. I thought it was a universal pinout configuration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2018 09:15AM by ILikeToEatYellowSnow.
Attachments:
open | download - Screen2.png (125.5 KB)
open | download - Screen.png (40.4 KB)
April 16, 2018 09:39AM
There is a special thread for this controller. How about posting at the right place ????
[forums.reprap.org]

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
April 16, 2018 09:47AM
As you can see, I’m new here; I had no idea that there was a dedicated thread. Thanks for pointing that out!

Il try to post my questions in a better place next time!
April 16, 2018 10:25AM
ILikeToEatYellowSnow
As you can see, I’m new here; I had no idea that there was a dedicated thread. Thanks for pointing that out!

Il try to post my questions in a better place next time!

Indeed, you are more likely to find an answer and bring attention there.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
April 16, 2018 10:30AM
Is there any way to move this thread to that board?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login