Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Genuine J-Head™ 10 - release! Finally a Bowden J-Head!

Posted by Valduare 
New Genuine J-Head™ 10 - release! Finally a Bowden J-Head!
April 04, 2018 10:06PM
New Genuine J-Head™ 10 was just released. Finally available in Bowden! also direct drive.

Check it out Genuine J-Head™ 10

Im real excited!

keep the weight off the carriage, ultra light and fast!

I hope you all enjoy and share some pictures of your setups with the new Bowden J-Head
Attachments:
open | download - Genuine J-Head - 10 - Bowden5-01.jpg (304.9 KB)
Re: New Genuine J-Head™ 10 - release! Finally a Bowden J-Head!
April 05, 2018 09:14AM
Looks great. Its nice to see development is still going on with the original J-heads, However what sets this apart from a normal hotend? There is absolutely no description on the page you link. How do I even mount it?
April 07, 2018 09:38AM
it has a standard mounting groove
April 07, 2018 05:21PM
Valduare
it has a standard mounting groove

No answer for the other points? What sets this apart?

Does it only have a single mounting groove? Does this not allow for too much movement around the single groove?
April 07, 2018 09:47PM
Is it that it's mostly PEEK plastic*, isolating most of the heat down at the nozzle end? I'm new so forgive if that's already common, all the ones I've seen so far were all metal so it is also likely lighter as claimed, but we have no idea if the internals are redesigned as well. There is this in the linked site but little else:

Genuine J-Head™ hotends print consistently faster and are more reliable with none of the issues brought on by all-metal construction.

but beware, also this:

Please note: The maximum operating temperature is 247 degrees Celsius as PEEK will soften at 248 degrees Celsius. Due to many variables, affecting the accuracy of the temperature readings and settings, caution is recommended when extruding at temperatures approaching this limit.

(PLA will require a small fan to provide air-flow through the cooling vents milled in the sides of the nozzle holder.)

*PEEK plastic, looks like tuff stuff!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2018 09:51PM by scoot.
April 09, 2018 01:27AM
one of the beautiful things with Genuine J-Heads, theres no fiddling about. no extraneous points where they can leak. they rock solid tiny little hotends that just keep working and working and... working.

they handle all of the filaments most people print with.
April 10, 2018 08:56AM
I wonder why they are not popular?
April 10, 2018 10:20PM
one of the great mysteries. best I can tell. people "want" to be able to print polycarbonate so they think they need 300C capability.

at the cost of adding more points of failure and lesser printing experience smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2018 01:14AM by Valduare.
April 11, 2018 07:22AM
Valduare
one of the great mysteries. best I can tell. people "want" to be able to print polycarbonate so they think they need 300C capability.

at the cost of adding more points of failure and lesser printing experience smileys with beer

I print colorfabb nGen at 250/240c. For this reason alone I need an all metal hotend
April 11, 2018 12:03PM
cwaa
I wonder why they are not popular?

It's probably their own PR? Try searching the online platforms for J-head and you'll find gazillions of fake hotends. I didn't know, where to buy the original...
April 11, 2018 01:36PM
The original creator of J heads getting a screw loose over Chinese copies probably didn't help either...
April 11, 2018 03:21PM
When the only thing left in your arsenal is to name and shame, and you do, some people think you've spat your dummy out...but then maybe they never had an idea worth stealing...but wait till they do and lets see what they think of it then.
One Day i'll get me a Black Metal JHead...just thought they may get expensive when replacing nozzles & throats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2018 03:25PM by MechaBits.
April 11, 2018 11:23PM
[www.hotends.com] of course for genuine j-head hotends
April 11, 2018 11:28PM
j-heads can do 248C

typically you will find that they print at a much lower temp than all metal style due to the way they are designed and materials choice.

Origamib: I believe colorfabb recommends 220-240 for ngen?
April 15, 2018 04:15PM
Hey Valduare, instead of wondering why they aren't more popular, how about giving a set of bullet points for why a person should choose a genuine J-Head as a hotend?

hotends.com is just a page of buzzwords and marketing speak... If you didn't already want "a J-Head" before going there, there isn't any info there to convince you to buy one. There's very very little to clarify why the more expensive J-Head is better than the competition. confused smiley
April 15, 2018 06:53PM
there are bullet points on [hotends.com] as well as a datasheet
April 15, 2018 09:04PM
Valduare
there are bullet points on [hotends.com] as well as a datasheet

There are, but neither are particularly helpful when comparing your hotend to the competition. If you think you have the winning design, make it clear why it is better.
At best, all we can gather from the website is that the J-Head 10 is better than the prior J-Head.

And the data sheet... has a mechanical section with no dimensions shown? Not even the hotend width or dimensions for the mounting groove? confused smiley
April 16, 2018 02:44AM
Personally, I find this hot end or the E3D too big when it comes to their mount and far too long.
Here is what I made, full metal, 46mm from hobgear to nozzle (36mm with the usual heating block). The mount can be a 10X10 Al bar with a vertical heatsink on its side or a 10 mm thick heat sink, laid flat, eventually a small 30mm fan. One 6mm hole, a slit, one screw to press and hold making a good thermal contact.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2018 10:42AM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
May 12, 2018 11:50AM
Hello,

People requested bullet points as to why Genuine J-Heads are the best hot-ends. Here goes!

1. Fast. Speeds over 200 mm/sec have been printed with a 0.4mm nozzle.
2. Light Weight. Total weight is under 30 grams and some models are under 20 grams.
3. Prints most filaments. Most filaments can be printed with a Genuine J-Head.
4. Prints at lower temperatures. Genuine J-Heads are more efficient and print at temperatures about 10 degrees under what "all metal" hot-ends print at.
5. Can print PLA without a cooling fan. While not recommended, Genuine J-Heads have printed PLA without a cooling fan.
6. Can print most other filament types without a cooling fan. A cooling fan is only recommended for PLA.
7. Reliable. Genuine J-Heads have printed for years without a problem.
8. Compact. Genuine J-Heads are compact and result in more Z space for printing.
9. Guaranteed. If your Genuine J-Head is faulty (and less than 1% have any problems) it will be replaced for free.

Many people will point to filament manufacturer recommendations for ABS and say they can't print ABS with a J-Head. These recommendations are for all-metal hot-ends. J-Heads were originally designed to print ABS. Printing PLA came later. J-Heads print ABS at temperatures of 240 to 245 degrees without fail.

We are working on 2 other J-Head designs at the moment. The one J-Head design is a high-speed design that prints faster than the E3D Volcano. It has been clocked printing ABS and PLA at 60 mm/sec with a 1mm nozzle orifice. This hot-end is almost ready for release. In addition, we are working on a high temperature J-Head that is similar to the previously mentioned high-speed design and will print any filament on the market. Due to it's design, we expect it to print faster than an E3D Volcano as well.

Best Regards,

Brian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login