Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E3D's multi material tool changer

Posted by dc42 
E3D's multi material tool changer
March 22, 2018 05:34AM
E3D has posted a blog entry about their multi material tool changer at [e3d-online.com]. They are using a kinematic coupling and a servo to attach a tool to the printing head in a way that makes the position very repeatable. Tools are parked at the back of the machine while they are not in use. The prototype has 4 switchable tools.

It seems to me that this offers the same benefits as IDEX (independent dual X carriages) but with a lighter Y axis, and it is much more easily extended to more than 2 tools. It also uses one less stepper motor and driver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2018 11:55AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

Re: E3D's multi material tool changer
March 22, 2018 07:05AM
That is awesome! very inspiring...

ampapa,
March 22, 2018 07:25AM
Their approach is indeed one of the best.
Personally I was thinking to use the same approach used in cast bullet molds like here: [leeprecision.com] as it could be good enough but far less costly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2018 07:29AM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
March 22, 2018 08:16PM
I think a servo isn't needed for the maxwell kinematic coupling they're using. I read the entirety of the article, and still think the kinematic coupling with SmCo magnets would've been ideal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login