Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ways to save memory in marlin 1.1.x

Posted by DjDemonD 
Ways to save memory in marlin 1.1.x
March 20, 2018 06:54AM
Hi can anyone suggest or point me in the direction of any guide to creating a build of marlin 1.1.x which cuts down on the amount of progmem it requires?

I am trying to build for a machine with 130048 bytes of progmem, and have everything necessary working in 126558 bytes until I try to enable bilinear probing, then I run out of memory.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Re: Ways to save memory in marlin 1.1.x
March 20, 2018 08:52AM
No magic switch for this... as you have already seen most features are already setup so that if they are not used they don't take up any space

Only way is to rewrite marlin making sure everything is optimised not to use memory where it doesn't have to.

That is a huge amount of work, vs upgrading the controller to one that has a processor that has more memory ($40 ish!)
So basically it unlikely anyone will do this.

But good luck
March 21, 2018 03:14AM
Is Teacup an option for your project?
March 21, 2018 04:47AM
Thanks for the ideas. I have managed to get a compiled version of marlin 1.1.8 to run from less than 130,000 bytes of progmem, with bilinear bed compensation included. I found that commenting out the G26 mesh validation tool saved me just the little bit of memory I needed.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login