Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Beacon 3D Printer

Posted by MatthewHall 
Beacon 3D Printer
January 29, 2018 09:48PM

Here's a quick shot of my workbench with completed printer. It's been a journey through three massive iterations over the course of two years but this one works like a charm.
Smoothieboard/MGN12 Rails/Misumi Extrusions

Edit: please critique.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2018 09:50PM by MatthewHall.
Re: Beacon 3D Printer
January 29, 2018 11:50PM
Be A Con...has a mad ring to it smiling smiley Didn't see any of the previous versions of this, how come you went for belt on Z, anything there to stop it falling? It needs more lights smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2018 08:08AM by MechaBits.
January 30, 2018 02:47AM
Why Bowden tube? I'd think a dual mgn12 carrier would be able to handle a direct drive extruder.
Or is it the vertical tower that leans, when there's too much weight at the far end?
January 30, 2018 12:29PM
I really like your x-motor end, could I have the source (step or other cad)?
February 01, 2018 07:57AM
@FA-MAS the plan is to release all the files with instructions on Thingiverse. I'll update when that happens.

@o_lampe the bowden tube is just because that's what I had already smiling smiley

@Mecha_bits the belt drive system was preferred over a leadscrew because it's easier to mount accurately. Way easier.
February 01, 2018 10:02AM
Your belt arrangement on the X axis is sort of opposite what it needs to be. You've got the bottom half of the belt loop running inside the t-slot, so it is parallel to the X axis guide rail, but the top half of the loop that attaches to the extruder carriage is not parallel to the guide rail. That will result in distorted prints and varying belt tension depending on where the extruder carriage is on the X axis. The belt loop half that attaches to the extruder carriage should be parallel to the X axis linear guide. The same applies to Y and Z axes, too, which I can't see in the photos.

Do you do anything to stop the X axis from falling if power to the Z motor is cut/lost?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 01, 2018 08:22PM
the_digital_dentist
Your belt arrangement on the X axis is sort of opposite what it needs to be. You've got the bottom half of the belt loop running inside the t-slot, so it is parallel to the X axis guide rail, but the top half of the loop that attaches to the extruder carriage is not parallel to the guide rail. That will result in distorted prints and varying belt tension depending on where the extruder carriage is on the X axis. The belt loop half that attaches to the extruder carriage should be parallel to the X axis linear guide. The same applies to Y and Z axes, too, which I can't see in the photos.

Do you do anything to stop the X axis from falling if power to the Z motor is cut/lost?

The X-axis is geometrically parallel I just didn't fasten the belts to the carriage in a good way. I bought a new E3D head (the one attached currently is old) and have started designing ones that will keep the belts even. It was a rush job for sure.
The Z-axis just slams down if I cut the power lol but I did design it so the extruder can rest without touching the bed while it's off.
February 02, 2018 04:47AM
MGEN and extrusions would be better used to build a better kinematic, CoreXY , various X bot.

Put a dial at the end of the X arm and apply let's say 1N. See how much it flexes,to be done in Y and Z.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 04:47AM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
February 06, 2018 03:55PM
I really like the cantilever design, If you look for something to stop your head crashing into the bed, I would suggest you to watch closely the Cetus 3d, they realeased a printed part that goes on the Z axe to prevent this...

Looking forward to see the files one thingiverse... And build one ?
February 12, 2018 05:03AM
If there is droop in the X, perhaps you can simply adjust the X slightly upwards at the free end to compensate.
You might need to put an adjustment screw in the mounting so you can adjust controlled, but it would work.
Looks like a nice machine! Congrats.

Lykle

Co-creator of the Zesty Nimble, worlds lightest Direct Drive extruder.
[zesty.tech]
February 12, 2018 01:44PM
Archiclem
I really like the cantilever design, If you look for something to stop your head crashing into the bed, I would suggest you to watch closely the Cetus 3d, they realeased a printed part that goes on the Z axe to prevent this...

Looking forward to see the files one thingiverse... And build one ?

Haha yeah once I started working on my design I found the Cetus printer. They are quite similar. I might add a component like that to stop the Z from falling.

Currently working on the final CAD file update to print, test, and release on Thingiverse.
February 12, 2018 03:59PM
When do you think you would release these files ? Keep up the good work...
February 16, 2018 07:48AM
Archiclem
When do you think you would release these files ? Keep up the good work...

Well... the CAD is almost complete so probably this weekend I'll start printing parts to test than hopefully I'll upload them. I want to do it right the first time, so I'll wait until I've tested them all.
February 16, 2018 04:21PM
So as it is close to the first release, How are you gonna handle the position of the electronic and power supply ? Cable management and heated bed ? And, why a Dual Z rail, one would be sufficient ?

I think I will build one as soon as it is available smiling smiley

P.S. How do you ensure the belt are evenly tensioned ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2018 04:22PM by Archiclem.
February 22, 2018 06:56AM
I was wondering how/why you decided to stagger the carriages on Z probably a good choice, more support, easier to fit, better for your 2020, I cant remember why i decided to put mine inline, probably to save on Z height, and probably because I was just thinking linear, straight lines....
February 22, 2018 07:55AM
MechaBits
I was wondering how/why you decided to stagger the carriages on Z probably a good choice, more support, easier to fit, better for your 2020, I cant remember why i decided to put mine inline, probably to save on Z height, and probably because I was just thinking linear, straight lines....

Basically cause they wouldn't fit next to each other on the 2040 rails lol.
February 22, 2018 07:56AM
Archiclem
So as it is close to the first release, How are you gonna handle the position of the electronic and power supply ? Cable management and heated bed ? And, why a Dual Z rail, one would be sufficient ?

I think I will build one as soon as it is available smiling smiley

P.S. How do you ensure the belt are evenly tensioned ?

Electronics will be located under the bed. Glad to see such interest! It should be a relatively inexpensive build because it will work with any electronics setup and the extraneous cost is the MGN12 rails.

I don't think belt tensions is as crucial as it is on say, CoreXY because each axis runs independently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2018 07:58AM by MatthewHall.
February 22, 2018 02:37PM
MatthewHall
MechaBits

Basically cause they wouldn't fit next to each other on the 2040 rails lol.

I knew there had to be a reason smiling smiley
February 23, 2018 12:21PM
I registered just to tell you I can't wait to build this.

Patiently waiting for a thingiverse upload.
February 23, 2018 12:56PM
It reminds me of the RepRapPro Ormerod, which also had a cantilever design and a bed moving in the Y direction. No linear rails though. My Ormerod is still working well, after upgrading some of the original acrylic and MDF parts to aluminium.

The Ormerod used an infrared sensor not only as the Z probe, which in itself I think was novel for the time, but also as the X endstop - saving a microswitch and the associated wiring.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 25, 2018 03:07PM
slingle
I registered just to tell you I can't wait to build this.

Patiently waiting for a thingiverse upload.

Haha well I'm testing the final models right now. Stuff should be posted in entirety (CAD sources, STL, tutorial) by the weekend.
February 27, 2018 11:09PM
MatthewHall
Haha well I'm testing the final models right now. Stuff should be posted in entirety (CAD sources, STL, tutorial) by the weekend.

Looks like a nice clean design - looking forward to seeing the rest of it!

I'm sure you will have a BOM as part of your build instructions... but what would you estimate the build cost to be?
February 28, 2018 12:02PM
Melty
MatthewHall

Looks like a nice clean design - looking forward to seeing the rest of it!

I'm sure you will have a BOM as part of your build instructions... but what would you estimate the build cost to be?
Price should be between 350 and 400 depending on what you already have in stock. You can use any controller board, so the price will obviously be much cheaper if you use RAMPs over Duet, etc
March 01, 2018 01:29PM
Is it the weekend yet? grinning smiley

This may be one of those interesting designs where the most economical way to build it is to buy a full kit for a different printer, then just use those parts as the vitamins for this one. Sometimes the generic 2020 i3 kits or the like can be a pretty good value for the components, and you save a lot by buying all of the items together at once instead of shipping a bunch of random parts separately from different sellers. Being a cantilever design, it also could be much more forgiving for tolerances on some parts, such as having random/arbitrary lengths of the extrusions, or not requiring 8x of them cut precisely to keep a cube square.
March 02, 2018 09:03AM
Maybe you could buy a kit Melty but you'd still need to buy the linear rails. You are correct in saying the Aluminum Extrusions are of arbitrary length. The axes are designed to be as independent of each other as possible after the trouble I've had with other designs.

It's Friday right now so I'll be printing the final components tomorrow and uploading hopefully Sunday. Being a student is rough.
March 03, 2018 10:37PM
Ahh, yes, I had forgotten that most of the inexpensive kits are based on rods instead of rails. And once you get to a kit substantial enough to use linear rails, you're going to be spending quite a bit more, and still not necessarily going to get four of them like your design requires. Ok, nevermind on that then. winking smiley
March 05, 2018 04:52PM
I already got the motors, belts & some pulleys... So to build the printer i will only need electronic and extrusions and linear rails...

Where would you source them? i build a kossel not that long ago using robotdigg stuff (wich is okay, but the whole china sourcing is kind of not that eco-friendly...).

For the electronic I was thinking to buy a cohesion mini or another smoothieboard... As I am familiar with that firmware... What did you used ?
March 05, 2018 10:30PM
Archiclem
I already got the motors, belts & some pulleys... So to build the printer i will only need electronic and extrusions and linear rails...

Where would you source them? i build a kossel not that long ago using robotdigg stuff (wich is okay, but the whole china sourcing is kind of not that eco-friendly...).

For the electronic I was thinking to buy a cohesion mini or another smoothieboard... As I am familiar with that firmware... What did you used ?

I used the Smoothieboard it works amazingly. MGN12 Rails can be found for around 20 bucks a pop on eBay. I'll publish the STL files as soon as I can. Extrusions use Misumi US if you can, it's the best.
March 14, 2018 02:11PM
MatthewHall
Being a student is rough.

Hey, just wanted to say good luck and keep at it. Education is important, at any stage of life. thumbs up
March 14, 2018 02:29PM
Archiclem

Have you considered a Duet? it comes with an an amazing web interface, quiet stepper drivers (up to x256 microstepping), stall detection, power fail detection, hardware floating point maths, and more.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login