Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fake FTDI Chip in Tevo Tornado

Posted by kwerner 
Fake FTDI Chip in Tevo Tornado
January 22, 2018 03:39PM
Hi everyone!

I recently received my Tevo Tornado. Assembly was easy and the first prints came out nicely.

But when I attached an Raspberry Pi 3 and connected Octoprint to the Tornado, the USB connection got lost repeatedly after about 1 minute.
I tested 4 different USB cables, compiled a new firmware with a lower baudrate (115200 instead of 250000), but nothing helped.
dmesg showed one error message saying "usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback: -urbstopped -32" per disconnect.

Then I tested the connection with Cura3 on a Windows machine. Here the connection worked without hangups. I guess the windows driver is more tolerant than the linux one....

This was when I remembered the fake FTDI chips that were in the news a few month ago. I checked the serial number, and indeed, it is one of the counterfeit chips.

Today I completely disassembled the Tevo control box, took out the control board and desoldered the bad FT232RL. The genuine replacement now works flawlessly smiling smiley

While I'm at it, I will also fix the horrible wiring and build a custom frame under the printer from aluminium extrusion.

Hope this helps if someone has the same problems with the serial connection under linux smiling smiley
Re: Fake FTDI Chip in Tevo Tornado
January 22, 2018 03:57PM
kwerner

Fake FTDI chips that were in the news a few month ago. I checked the serial number, and indeed, it is one of the counterfeit chips.

Where do I get to the information about the Fake FT232RL chips.

Thank You
Re: Fake FTDI Chip in Tevo Tornado
January 22, 2018 04:06PM
This thread has some images that show differences in the chip markings: [www.eevblog.com]

And this site explains how to check the serial number: [www.starlino.com]

The chip I got had exactly that "A50285BI" serial.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login