Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

modify pronterface UI

Posted by rich1812 
modify pronterface UI
January 16, 2018 07:32PM
Hello, I switch to a pi3 , use pronterface (linux) for my 3D printer, this pi3 has a 3.5" 320x480 LCD display. When pronterface is loaded, only part of its window can be seen and some of the UI elements are unreachable. I have the pronterface source code from GitHub. Where do I start to shrink the app window? Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2018 08:44AM by rich1812.
Re: modify pronterface UI
January 16, 2018 07:51PM
in printrun/pronterface.py

find the line winsize = (800, 500)
January 17, 2018 08:40AM
hi dust. thank you for the reply. I changed the values of winsize to 480x320, reload the program, doesn't make any differece. How about the other ui elements, don't they need to be shrink accordingly as well? Also does the program need to be re-compile?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2018 08:44AM by rich1812.
January 17, 2018 09:39PM
Under linux there is a .pronsolerc this seems to take precidence

contains

set last_window_width 769
set last_window_height 570

Which is the last used screen size

But the above is also the smallest it will go in that mode

If you change

set controlsmode Mini
set uimode Compact

then you can go as small as

set last_window_width 404
set last_window_height 501

But then you have to start removing display elements... like the temperature monitor

480x320 is just to small!!
VDX
January 18, 2018 02:57AM
... I've modified the Pronterface GUI for different sizes to match the dimensions of tablets and low-res displays - here I had to change the size of the PNG's and the mouse-coordinates for the "hot zones" (or "buttons") in the images ... this is pretty complex!

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 18, 2018 08:08AM
Thank you all for the replies.
O mine. This is going to be a lot more involve then I thought.
@VDX Would you mind telling how you fixed the hot spots? Also I am thinking if I take out the graphical memes, leave all the controls as text fields and selects, would that still work?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2018 08:43AM by rich1812.
VDX
January 18, 2018 12:13PM
... my "modifying" was a pretty complex task with rewriting big parts of code, adding some new classes and changing the firmware Marlin4Due for theme-specific interaction too - so not so easy to point on.

Here is the GUI with some of the added "toolbox-buttons" on the right side

For using it with different resolutions and sizes all of the images were redrawn with 1x, 1.5x and 2x resolutions and then I had to change the XY-coordinates and sizes of the button-"hot-spots" in the classes "xybuttons.py" and "zbuttons.py" for every resolution eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

January 18, 2018 05:03PM
Wow, fancy! Are you gonna publish it? smiling smiley Mine is going a lot simpler I will call it VDX lite :p. I just want to have the basic elements. just 3 up/down arrows for X,Y and Z, 4 fields in the heat and bed etc. no graphic is needed.since the LCD is so small.
VDX
January 18, 2018 05:15PM
... my variant calls "gieCAPS" and is basically OpenSource (as derived from an OS base), but the import-plugins aren't, so not meant for publishing it -- it's distributed with our machines for paste-dispensing and laser-engravin/cutting.

I can post you the basic software, but the interesting parts are the plugins and corresponding toolboxes and menu-addons, so not really usefull without ...

Viktor
--------

January 19, 2018 10:35AM
"I can post you the basic software"
I'd like that. Could you please? Thank you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2018 10:37AM by rich1812.
VDX
January 19, 2018 01:01PM
... is your email valid?

Viktor
--------

January 21, 2018 06:40PM
O yes. do you get it from this forum? the one from this forumis valid.
VDX
January 22, 2018 03:12AM
... OK, I'm on the road the next days, so could take some time ...

Viktor
--------

VDX
January 23, 2018 03:54AM
rich1812
O yes. do you get it from this forum? the one from this forumis valid.

... no, didn't work - it's "blocked for security reasons" sad smiley

Viktor
--------

February 05, 2018 05:43PM
Hummm, not sure why, But thank for trying. I dug into the source code. did some modifications in the code. I is almost done and it looks just what I need. :}

The only thing remain is the Extrude/Reverse buttons and the length text field on the bottom left. I still try to figure out how to move them to the center so that they will be more symmetrical .

A nice crash course on python. smiling smiley
Attachments:
open | download - pronterface.png (56.9 KB)
VDX
February 05, 2018 05:55PM
... most GUI changes are done in "zbuttons.py" - look into using of "BufferedCanvas" to get the split images sorted ...

Viktor
--------

March 15, 2018 11:02AM
Looks good. I have the same issue runnung ubuntu on an old 9'' XP netbook.
It would be great if you could share the code?
VDX
March 15, 2018 11:28AM
... is the email in your account data valid and can it accept a 4MB ZIP-file?

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login