Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need Help with Design Choices - Vertical or Horizontal Printing?

Posted by Don McLean 
Re: Need Help with Design Choices - Vertical or Horizontal Printing?
January 19, 2018 03:30AM
@Don McLean

Are these parts "one offs" or do you need multiple copies? I'm thinking along the lines that you could print multiple copies concurrently by having them joined together with a thin "snap off" web so that they would support each other. If they are "one offs" you could consider a sacrificial support tower but it would be wasteful in plastic (and take longer to print) but it might be an option? There would of course be a bit post printing cleaning up to do with a modelling knife or some such. Just a thought......

Ian

[somei3deas.wordpress.com]
[www.youtube.com]
January 19, 2018 10:47PM
deckingman, that's a good idea that I haven't considered.

Here's a YouTube video I found of a tall narrow print

[www.youtube.com]

So I've still been mulling around in my mind as to whether or not I want to experiment embedding continuous strand fiber in my prints at some time in the future. Not sure if it's worth the hassle, but also it won't be possible if I go for the vertical build. But I can do other reinforcements that may be easier and even more cost / time effective. The long Z also makes using it as a dual DLP easier, and although I'm not currently planning for a heated bed, it would make adding one later much easier if I decide to do that. So that's the way I'm leaning.
January 20, 2018 04:15AM
Don McLean
............................. I'm not currently planning for a heated bed, ..........................

I think you should plan for it. Whilst it can be added later, it's best to plan for it now. It'll almost certainly involve sticking a silicon heater to the underside of the aluminium and you might want to consider adding insulation under that too (I do, but it isn't absolutely necessary so some people don't). Then you'll need to consider where to put the temperature sensor. If the aluminium is thick (as it will need to be on a large bed), then you'll likely find that having the sensor between the heater and the bottom of the bed won't be the best location, so you'll likely want to drill a hole in the edge of the bed. All in all, it's a fair bit of work to disassemble and reassemble everything and as silicon heaters aren't hugely expensive in the grand scheme of things, it'd make more sense to fit it at the initial build stage. Just my opinion...........

That part in the YouTube clip (impressive btw) was printed using heated bed.

[somei3deas.wordpress.com]
[www.youtube.com]
January 20, 2018 08:21AM
With the tall part in that vid, I wouldnt want to print laying down, but then I wouldnt want to print it in Z either not with walls that thin...but then i've not tried anything better than PLA, though its got me thinking of a starwars lithosabre.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login