Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hotend and part fan not working

Posted by ibWizard 
Hotend and part fan not working
December 13, 2017 06:59PM
I'm using a ramps 1.4 board for a Hypecube Evolution printer. The fan for the Hotend and the part fan are connected to D9. Neither fans turns on I send the "M106" command. The ramps board in brand new. Any ideas??
Re: Hotend and part fan not working
December 13, 2017 08:09PM
Why are both fans connected to the same pin?

Normally, you would have the hotend fan either on all the time, or maybe off only while the hot-end temperature is below 50C or so. The part fan is usually only on when printing bridges and overhangs.

The first test I'd do would be to apply 12V to each pair of fan connectors and see if the fan runs. If it does, the problem is with the RAMPS (or firmware). If not, the issue is with wiring to the fan.
December 13, 2017 09:44PM
The drawing shows power for both fans connected to D9 and common for the part fan going to one of the end stops common.
December 13, 2017 10:11PM
Probably best if you scan the drawing for us to see. In the meantime, do test the wiring to the fans as above.
December 13, 2017 11:03PM
I've attached the diagram. Both fans run when connected to 12 vdc. My suspicion is the firmware (command.h)
Attachments:
open | download - Wiring Diagram by Spauda01 (Ramps1.4) (1).pdf (175.7 KB)
December 13, 2017 11:46PM
ok...

firstly you have to know that D9 both the + and - pins when off are at 12v. Only when its switched on does D9 - go to gnd and power flows

Looking at the diagram the hotend fan is getting +12v from D9+ and gnd from X min endstop gnd. This fan should always be on
The part cooling fan is over D9+ and D9- so is controlled by firmware

take photos of your wiring, I suspect its not correct

You do have 12v plugged into the ramps in the 5A plug?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2017 11:55PM by Dust.
December 14, 2017 01:00AM
The 5A circuit is wired to 12 vdc. Yes, I understand the wiring schema. I don't get 12 vdc when I send the "M106" command as measured with a multimeter. The voltage stays below .5 vdc. So I don't know if it's the firmware or the MOSFET.
December 14, 2017 02:38AM
install the ramps test firmware (no configuring at all, only works on ramps)

It will step back and forth all the stepper (it ignores the endstops) so make sure its away from the ends

It also turns on all the mosfets, but doesn't monitor temperature so unplug the heaters

[reprap.org]

But unless you have played with the pins, or chosen the wrong motherboard, it is unlikely to be firmware

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 02:40AM by Dust.
December 14, 2017 02:44AM
Or load the arduino example program blink and use pin 9 to turn D9 on and off

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 02:44AM by Dust.
December 15, 2017 12:27AM
Frandvdh and Dust, Thank you both for providing me with things to check. I appreciate your advice and help. This is my first ever 3D printer and it's proving to be quite the challenge. Where can I find the ramps firmware test file? I guess this will determine if the MOSFET is bad. Thanks again.
December 15, 2017 10:43PM
All fans work with test software
December 16, 2017 02:02AM
so what is the motherboard line set to in your configuration.h ?

infact post you configuration.h and configuration_adv.h

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2017 02:04AM by Dust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login