Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why? Fan always on

Posted by BETLOG 
Why? Fan always on
November 23, 2017 06:40AM
I noticed my partfan is always on.
No, it's not that I don;t understand gcode or how my slicer works
M106 is ignored. Although thats the odd thing, I got it to turn on and off using the button in octoprint a few times.

The stock one didn't do this, it only relates to a new, slightly larger fans I substituted into a new cowling a few days ago. I did need to use a dupont connector in an XH socket because it's all I had, but otherwise that fan is wired correctly afaik.
My prints certainly arent suffering from it, and it's virtually silent, so it's not a problem, but it's always on, despite all the other fans being thermal limit activated, and it completely ignores M106 commands... I expect the other fans to do so becaseu of the therma activation bit, but that one should be controllable via M106..it isnt.

I can't imagine how it would be related to wiring, but I suppose it's possible my new connectors are shorting somehow... is that even something that can happen with a bad connection?
iirc someone mentioned that fan has a slightly lower than 12v power supply.. but again; how would that make it always on? Surely not.

Could this be a sign of progressive failure or recent damage to my mainboard? It may well be overheating lately, suspect the mainboard fan is dying intermittently, but it's hard to know aside from the fact that long prints get the case pretty hot... i have a secondary fan blasting into the case side vents anyway.

Anycubic i3 Mega (original version), Trigorilla board.. basically a glorified 2560mega
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login