Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Endstops shortcircuit and arduino shuts down

Posted by tttavi 
Endstops shortcircuit and arduino shuts down
November 22, 2017 01:10PM
Good morning/afternoon/evening, i´ll try to be quick explaining this. So, i buyed these endstops: [www.amazon.com] and i´ve connected them how the description says. I putted the end stops on z, x and y min. I connected them in the ramps, put them in 0,0,0. I open the pronterface, connect the ramps and it´s all good. When i move the axis with the pronterface from the endstop, the pc stops recognizing the arduino. To make it simplier, the axis is touching the endstop, when it moves, the axis stop touching the endstop´s trigger and the pc stops recognizing the arduino. Here is the code of the marlin from the part of the endstops:
// @section homing

// Specify here all the endstop connectors that are connected to any endstop or probe.
// Almost all printers will be using one per axis. Probes will use one or more of the
// extra connectors. Leave undefined any used for non-endstop and non-probe purposes.
#define USE_XMIN_PLUG
#define USE_YMIN_PLUG
#define USE_ZMIN_PLUG
//#define USE_XMAX_PLUG
//#define USE_YMAX_PLUG
//#define USE_ZMAX_PLUG

// coarse Endstop Settings
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS // Comment this out (using // at the start of the line) to disable the endstop pullup resistors

#if DISABLED(ENDSTOPPULLUPS)
// fine endstop settings: Individual pullups. will be ignored if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN_PROBE
#endif

// Mechanical endstop with COM to ground and NC to Signal uses "false" here (most common setup).
#define X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the probe.

// Enable this feature if all enabled endstop pins are interrupt-capable.
// This will remove the need to poll the interrupt pins, saving many CPU cycles.
//#define ENDSTOP_INTERRUPTS_FEATURE
// Direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
// :[-1,1]
#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

Thank you for the attention.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2017 03:49PM by tttavi.
Re: Problem with the endstops
November 22, 2017 03:23PM
You endstops are normally closed and you have them plugged in backwards on the controller

So when the switch is pressed the switch is open and everything is good
But when the switch is not pressed it is closed and you are shoring 5v to gnd, if this is a ramsp you have probably also damaged your 5v regulator on the mega if this is the case
Re: Problem with the endstops
November 22, 2017 05:08PM
ok, i’ll switch the marlin codes to false and test it
VDX
Re: Endstops shortcircuit and arduino shuts down
November 22, 2017 06:17PM
... no, you first have to check the orientation or pinning of the endstops!

Shorting +5V to GND will (or already has) damage the 5V-regulator!!

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
November 22, 2017 09:04PM
Hi Viktor, how do i know if the 5v regulator is damaged? and how does it affect to the entire system?

Thank you.
November 23, 2017 02:56AM
If you short 5v to gnd, then the 5v goes away and the controller powers off. (stops talking)

Also if you short 5v to gnd the voltage regulator tries its very hardest to raise the gnd to 5v, since this is impossible the regulator just gets hotter and hotter till it burns out.

There are two main ways it can die.
1) it outputs incorrect voltage, anywhere from 0 to 12v (input voltage)
2) It is no longer able to provide enough current at the required voltage

Most common symptom of a dead voltage regular is the board doesn't work without a usb cable connected.
Or if you have a 2004 LCD its doesn't work unless you have the USB cable connected.
NB a 12864 lcd on a ramps draws to much current under normal conditions so is not a good test.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2017 02:58AM by Dust.
November 23, 2017 03:24PM
Can i change it with a normal regulator like the 7805? I have a couple at home. Do I have to discard the mega?
November 26, 2017 09:14AM
Yes you can but its easier to just wire the 7805 from your psu or whatever to maybe the barrel jack on the arduino, unless you are good at soldering. Or you can power your arduino via the usb with a 5v USB wall charger.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
November 28, 2017 09:15AM
Tttavi,

This might help explained how to install switch endstops ....

[youtu.be]

Regards,
Ed
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login