Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Batch Printing and alternative methods

Posted by TheBoy 
Batch Printing and alternative methods
November 08, 2017 11:34PM
So I'm curious as to how everyone else prints in batches and what is the method you prefer?

I have printed parts in batch runs successfully. But I don't like the clean up of parts and the high failure rate. If one part fails I would prefer it not to affect the other prints.

How do you guys print in batches? I always try and run fast and hot to reduce stringing on PLA. 2-3mm Build heights to take into account a part warping before the printer gets back to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 11:40PM by TheBoy.
Re: Batch Printing and alternative methods
November 09, 2017 12:55AM
Sounds like you're printing all at once, what you could try is sequential printing, where one part is printed somewhere on the build plate and finished, then you move to another part of the build plate and finish another part etc. That way a failed part has less chance to screwing up the rest of the parts. I think it might also decrease print time since you don't need to constantly travel between parts.
November 09, 2017 07:43AM
If you're using PLA and the prints are small, moving from one to another is a good way to prevent them from turning into mushy blobs.

If the problem is prints not sticking to the bed, maybe that's the problem to address. Then you can print batches of stuff all day long without failures.

You can print in batches if you have a flat bed, properly leveled (and if it's heated, heated evenly):

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 09, 2017 02:28PM
Trakyan
Sounds like you're printing all at once, what you could try is sequential printing, where one part is printed somewhere on the build plate and finished, then you move to another part of the build plate and finish another part etc. That way a failed part has less chance to screwing up the rest of the parts. I think it might also decrease print time since you don't need to constantly travel between parts.

That's actually the method I was hoping would be suggested. I had thought of printing in Y zones based on part size and build area. Then shifting another zone down after the first part has completed; that way I only have two threads going to parts. I tried googling it but no videos popped up or I don't know the proper term for that style of printing.

the_digital_dentist
If you're using PLA and the prints are small, moving from one to another is a good way to prevent them from turning into mushy blobs.

If the problem is prints not sticking to the bed, maybe that's the problem to address. Then you can print batches of stuff all day long without failures.

You can print in batches if you have a flat bed, properly leveled (and if it's heated, heated evenly):

I have each thread within .002" of eachother for leveling my bed. I gonogo my caliper on the side my print head is home on for the Z axis and adjust the other side accordingly. My extruder is Y-.125" off build plate and the plate is adjusted to that value every print. I have a heated bed but I want to try just using a glue stick as I haven't done that yet. But my problem is I am trying to print a full chess set of Dragons and kitties off of Thingverse and I cant even get past 10 layers before the smaller ones start shifting.
November 09, 2017 04:58PM
I would agree with sorting out adhesion problems. Printing in series is fine, but it means you will be printing less as you're limited by the shape and size of your gantry to avoid collisions as you move to the next part. Not to mention if a part comes loose you still risk spaghetti, other parts being knocked off and bits thrashing your nozzle as they stick to it. Sort out adhesion and you can squeeze parts as close together as you'd like and leave the printer unattended more often.

Some prints will always want to come loose though, so if you really have to print in batch then design parts accordingly. severe overhangs, small foot prints and support are all enemies of batch printing (hotend jams come next!).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 05:01PM by Origamib.
November 09, 2017 05:38PM
Trakyan
I think it might also decrease print time since you don't need to constantly travel between parts.

Or it might increase the print time, because you have to allow one layer to cool before printing the next. I guess a good print cooling fan would be a significant advantage.
November 09, 2017 09:59PM
It depends on the parts I guess, small parts would need time to cool yeah but a good fan helps.
November 09, 2017 10:03PM
TheBoy
I have each thread within .002" of eachother for leveling my bed. I gonogo my caliper on the side my print head is home on for the Z axis and adjust the other side accordingly. My extruder is Y-.125" off build plate and the plate is adjusted to that value every print. I have a heated bed but I want to try just using a glue stick as I haven't done that yet. But my problem is I am trying to print a full chess set of Dragons and kitties off of Thingverse and I cant even get past 10 layers before the smaller ones start shifting.

I 'm not sure what most of that means, but things with small footprints can be problematic. Try using brims to extend the first layer so there's more to hold the part down on the bed.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login