Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Not 3D printing but need help finding electronics

Posted by tmorris9 
Not 3D printing but need help finding electronics
October 27, 2017 12:47AM
I am designing a product and need help finding something I thought would be easy. I need something that will turn on a 120v light for 20 minutes then turn it off. Ideally it would have a start button that would be pressed to set it on for 20 minutes then do the same next time it's pressed. It needs to run on the same 120v supply (no power supplies 5v, 12v or other).

Years ago I had this small box about 4" x 4" x 1" that did just this, super simple with a knob to adjust the time. Now I can't find one (at least not one that will do 20 minutes) to save my life.

Don't want to do an Arduino or anything to "kit" like. Want a small commercially available device preferably below $30 mark.

Any ideas?

They use to look something like this:

VDX
Re: Not 3D printing but need help finding electronics
October 27, 2017 02:32AM
... this can be done with a NE555 chip - look at the application samples in a datasheet ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 27, 2017 11:45AM
Try Googling
staircase switch timer 20 minutes 120v
October 27, 2017 09:53PM
Vincent, that was a good idea but apparently those are much more common in the UK. I only found a few 110v units and the highest time on those was 7 minutes. Most of them are 220v so I assume it's more used in the UK.

I did order a timer for lights that has 6 buttons for 6 different times to test our, I might have to hack into it and add a remote switch to only the 20 minute button but if I have to that's better than nothing. Still looking for the perfect product though.

Thanks
October 28, 2017 10:59PM
Look for a darkroom timer
Usually turn on enlarger for set time
or
time chemical imersion

could use your smart phone

Smart Wifi Wireless Switch Module Home Timer Remote Controller for Android IOS

[www.ebay.com]
November 06, 2017 04:33AM
November 08, 2017 01:20AM
Ha, that’s the same model I ordered for testing. I think it’s going to work. Thanks.
November 13, 2017 08:43PM
Update: The timer that I picked up to test (same one Dancer linked to) ended up doing the job.

Thanks
November 14, 2017 04:49AM
Great to know it worked.

Was a pleasure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login