Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z moves wrong direction when home marlin 1.1.5

Posted by chuck787 
Z moves wrong direction when home marlin 1.1.5
October 06, 2017 08:31PM
Tried to implement latest Marlin on my reprappro with ramps 1.4. Been using marlin 1.1 but wanted newest auto leveling and other bells and whistles. Attached is my configuration.h all of my changes are bounded by #ifdef ChuckMod. Replaced Z min switch with inductive transducer and simple circuit so it appears electrically like the removed micro switch.
When control with pronterface and from the smart graphic controller all axis go in the direction requested, but when do ZHome or All axis Home the Z axis goes up up until I kill it.
There are only min switches and no max switches.
The Z sensor is on left (positive Z) of the hot end, that is required because there is not enough room to put it on right or rear and still cover entire surface with hot end and sensor. The original machine had a Melzi and I replaced with Ramps 1.4, replaced Z bearing and added REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER, everything works great with marlin 1.1.
Been trying to correct this Z problem and pulling my hair with 1.1.5 for weeks and don’t have enough hair left to figure it out.
Any help would be appreciated.

Chuck
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.zip (21.4 KB)
Re: Z moves wrong direction when home marlin 1.1.5
October 06, 2017 10:27PM
// Direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
// :[-1,1]

#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#ifdef ChuckMod
#define Z_HOME_DIR 0 <--------------- your options are -1 or 1, there is no 0
#else
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1
#endif // ChuckMod
October 07, 2017 12:53AM
Good catch Dust. But that was left in frustration.

I corrected and tried again There is no max switch so it goes up until servos give up or I reset cpu.
If I change "#define INVERT_Z_DIR true" then Z-Home works correct and goes down, but G1 Z-10 travels up.

Chuck
October 07, 2017 01:58AM
You have zmin endstop (or probe) then Z_HOME_DIR should be -1 and should be plugged into z min on ramps.

Check the status of your endstop with M119 make sure your new probe is triggering correctly

Then check direction of movement Z+ moves head up and Z- moves head down

But I suspect you have done all this.... Its really odd....
October 07, 2017 07:54AM
Chuck

They do have really small sensors, I use a low profile TL-W3M sensor on both my 3D Printers shown below On the White Mount.
Could have decided from a 1.5mm to a 5mm sensor finally went with a 3mm sensor. Bought my TL-W3M on E-Bay really cheap.
Black ABS Plastic, Dimensions 23.4 X 7.8 x 6mm

Part description from Omron.
[www.ia.omron.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2017 07:55AM by Roberts_Clif.
October 07, 2017 12:45PM
Because the system works correctly at version 1.1 and not at 1.1.5 indicates to me that it is in the software not the hardware or electrical. Maybe there is another “#define” like machine or whatever that I haven’t set. Why does G1 Znn works correctly up and down but Home does not?

The larger sensor is adjustable by a screw on the sensor so I set the bed distance easier when I mess with the systems. I have 4 hot ends, with different distance and a couple of sizes: 0.5 and 0.3 mm. This rig started life as a Reprappro tricolor many years ago but I removed the extra hardware and it is a single head system.

I have corrected my Z_HOME_DIR to -1 per Dust it was just another thing I tried.
October 07, 2017 02:11PM
Arduino Compiler error will occur during compile if not true (same as "Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING)
#define Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to same logic as "Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING".

Arduino Compiler error will occur during compile if you use both, you can use One or the other but not both.(Below) I use #define Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_PIN
#define Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_PIN
#define Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2017 02:15PM by Roberts_Clif.
October 07, 2017 07:13PM
Wow, finally induced the software to move in the correct direction for both G1 and Home. Working on auto level will post new config file when done. Correct inverting that works

#define X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop

which is all three opposite of version 1.1, oh well it works

Thank you everyone
October 07, 2017 08:54PM
You are Welcome from the Forum.

Need any further assistance just Post!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2017 09:03PM by Roberts_Clif.
October 09, 2017 09:37PM
Roberts Clif from your picture it appears your sensor is to the right of the hotend when looking at from the front of the priinter, the same as mine. Do you use auto level? I am using #define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_LINEAR and it almost works correctly. When leveling it does not use the x home or the x-x min micro switch and crashes into the left side until over current turns off the raamps. I would rather it allowed a printsmiling smiley

I would appreciate anybody that has some idea

Thanks in advance,
Chuck
October 09, 2017 10:33PM
My sensor is 25mm directly behind and center Nozzle.
I have setup and used both Linear and Bi-linear bed leveling, presently setup is done to use UBL bed leveling, though have not uploaded to test yet..

#define Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_PIN

#define FIX_MOUNTED_PROBE

#define X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 0 // X offset: -left +right [of the nozzle]
#define Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 25 // Y offset: -front +behind [the nozzle]
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -0.5 // Z offset: -below +above [the nozzle]

#define X_MIN_POS 0
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
#define Z_MIN_POS 0
#define X_MAX_POS 220
#define Y_MAX_POS 270
#define Z_MAX_POS 185

#define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_BILINEAR

// Set the number of grid points per dimension.
#define GRID_MAX_POINTS_X 4
#define GRID_MAX_POINTS_Y 5

// Set the boundaries for probing (where the probe can reach).
#define LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 20
#define RIGHT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 200
#define FRONT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 25
#define BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION 245

// The Z probe minimum outer margin (to validate G29 parameters).
#define MIN_PROBE_EDGE 10
October 09, 2017 11:55PM
Thank you for the prompt and helpful message. I will try adjusting the numbers to fit my rig and then if that is not immediate I will reconfigure to put the sensor behind and move the part fan to the front right side. I won't be able to put it all together until Tuesday about this time. Seems like the majority of my printing is stuff for the printersmiling smiley

Thanks again,
Chuck
October 10, 2017 08:59AM
Same Here, When I first received my 3D printer it was missing the Assembly Instructions CD.
If not for my researching before purchasing, and finding a you tube assembly video may have never completely assembled 3D Printer.
Then it was missing parts more delays. Once assembled I found the Z banding almost intolerable, because a the smooth rod support only being 2mm thick.
Between the all thread being less than 8mm the coupler wobbled this was easy fix, just wrapped 1 layer if electricians tape around the all thread then pressed into coupler.

First print was to support the smooth rod supports, had to print is them twice as the parts I printed were so ugly because of z banding.
Then printed anything that said it would help make prints better. some worked some made it even worse.

From this

To this, Oh I did not make two out of One just purchased another.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2017 09:02AM by Roberts_Clif.
October 11, 2017 09:34PM
Thank you for taking the time to show your parameters for the printer, I reconfigured my printer putting the nozzle and Z probe at the same X and the Z probe behind the nozzle and changed the configuration.h to match the info you gave me. Interesting, not the correct word here, that G29 no longer does anything, no movement, at least it doesn’t crash into anything.

I am going back to 1.1 because it works for me.

A copy of the pronterface screen:

Connecting...
start
Printer is now online.
echo: External Reset
Marlin 1.1.5
echo: Last Updated: 2017-08-28 12:00 | Author: (Chuck, 10/11/2017)
echo:Compiled: Oct 11 2017 17:27:48
echo: Free Memory: 3418 PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded
echo: G21 ; Units in mm
echo: M149 C ; Units in Celsius
echo:Filament settings: Disabled
echo: M200 D1.75
echo: M200 D0
echoconfused smileyteps per unit:
echo: M92 X94.01 Y91.39 Z390.20 E96.00
echo:Maximum feedrates (units/s):
echo: M203 X500.00 Y500.00 Z5.00 E25.00
echo:Maximum Acceleration (units/s2):
echo: M201 X500 Y500 Z50 E100
echo:Acceleration (units/s2): P R T
echo: M204 P500.00 R500.00 T50.00
echo:Advanced: S T B X Z E
echo: M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Y20.00 Z0.40 E5.00
echo:Home offset:
echo: M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
echo:Auto Bed Leveling:
echo: M420 S0 Z0.00
echo:Material heatup parameters:
echo: M145 S0 H180 B70 F0
M145 S1 H240 B110 F0
echotongue sticking out smileyID settings:
echo: M301 P20.18 I1.91 D53.31
echo:Z-Probe Offset (mm):
echo: M851 Z0.00
echoconfused smileyD card ok
echoconfused smileyD card ok
>>> G28
SENDING:G28
echo:endstops hit: Z:0.00
>>> G29
SENDING:G29
MIN_PROBE_X 0
right_probe_bed_position 200
MAX_PROBE_X 200
left_probe_bed_position 20
MIN_PROBE_EDGE 10
Attachments:
open | download - ChucksPrinter.jpg (225.2 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login