Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Melzi board

Posted by ntar827 
Melzi board
September 17, 2017 05:51PM
My Monoprice printer has a Melzi board.

Is it true that auto leveling cannot be added with a Melzi board?

If true, what board is recommended as a replacement?

Thanks
Re: Melzi board
September 18, 2017 01:01AM
My answer won't be complete. I can tell you what to look for: any i/o pins that you do not use.

If you do not use a heated bed, then there are pins avail,
if your fan is not controlled by firmware then there is a pin available.
what you are looking for is unused i/o, and if everything is used on the board such as lcd, heated bed, fan, then it will be harder.

you would need to decide features to sacrifice or creative ways to get available pins.

As for alternative boards, look at this on the reprap wiki. [reprap.org] keep i/o pins in mind for expandability.

Ramps and rambo and ultimaker boards are the only ones i have used that i have not made myself. these seem to have good functionality, but are not a complete list.
Re:Ask again Melzi board
November 19, 2017 01:36PM
Asked this question a few months ago.

My Monoprice printer has a Melzi board.

Is it true that auto leveling cannot be added with a Melzi board?

If true, what board is recommended as a replacement?

Thanks
Re: Re:Ask again Melzi board
November 19, 2017 05:22PM
Looks like the limitation is the size of the memory for the program.
I was looking myself a couple months ago and found nobody reporting a success, but a people giving up.

Moving to Ramps with an Arduino 2560 is easy. I got a complete kit with Ramps, Arduino, 5x DRV8825 and graphical display for around 50.-€
Not sure whether the graphical display is needed, but it was part of the kit and the answers from the Internet had not been clear whether the original is working or not.

I am using the marlin firmware now

A surprise was that the connectors no longer fit. So I needed a crimping tool, and connectors
The crimping tool is a engineer pa-09
The connectors are sets from China for JST and Dupond 2.54mm
Crimping with this tool requires exercise. After a couple of dozens crimps it is now working pretty well.

And of course you need wires.
For adding additional wires I didn't added them to the cable chain. I added a cable sleeve on top of the cable chain with cable ties.

For ABL you need also a sensor. I tried inductive and optical sensor which didn't worked.
A BLTouch is working pretty good.

Currently I am waiting for hall sensors from China. I want to control both Z axis motors separately.

Peter
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login