Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motor Spec. for DD3D Up Plus 2?

Posted by WesBrooks 
Motor Spec. for DD3D Up Plus 2?
August 14, 2017 04:15AM
Hi All,

Think this is the best section of this forum for this message, feel free to move it if need be!

I've had the chance to help out in replacing a dead control board in an Up Plus 2 printer. I've nearly done with the wiring but I'm a little concerned about the motors as there are no identifying marks on them and I can't find the specification of them anywhere! Suitable replacements are listed as UP130012, but I've not found a spec sheet for that and the code appears to be a DD3D part code.

If all else fails what do people suggest? I think my multimeter is giving me dodgy resistance readings. Perhaps measure current when I connect an AA battery to one coil? If all else fails do I just set the current limit to around 400mA and raise it until the motors reach 50-60C?

I'm a little concerned that the PSU to the board was 19V ish, and I've chosen to replace it with a 12 V atx for the time being so that the duet can cut the power to the heaters if it decides it is in fault.

Thanks.

Wes.
Re: Motor Spec. for DD3D Up Plus 2?
August 14, 2017 04:26AM
Come to think of it I've a drill, and a model aircraft prop rpm sensor somewhere... Would measuring the voltage on the motor at specific RPMs give a reasonable idea of the inductance?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2017 04:26AM by WesBrooks.
August 14, 2017 07:15AM
Looks like the motors may be very close to the following:

Changzhou Yangs Motor CO, 42BYGHW208-42A, Stepper Motor 1.8 Deg - 0.4A - No. 20101226

12V rated which mean running at 24V is likely to be needed to get any reasonable pace from them. This may be more of a fuss than I had hoped for! These aren't an exact match visually, but the coil resistance is not far off what I had measured.

Step accuracy: ±5%
Ambient temperature range: 20°C ~ 50°C
Insulation resistance: 100MΩ Min.50V DC
Dielectric strength: 500V AC for 1 minute
Step angle: 1.8°
Voltage rating: 12 V
Current rating: 0.4 A
Resistance: 30 Ω per coil
Inductance: 37 mH per coil
Temperature rise tolerance: 80°C
Holding torque: 2600 g⋅cm
Detent torque: 200 g⋅cm
Rotor inertia: 34 g⋅㎡
Number of leads: 4
Motor length : 3.4 cm
Weight: 200 g

[www.openimpulse.com]
August 14, 2017 07:31AM
30 Ω per coil seem high (and does imply needing higher voltages) ... but is also something you can measure with a multi meter
August 14, 2017 07:55AM
I measured 28 ohm but didn't trust my multimeter too much last night as it was giving some funny readings. I'll put some volts from a battery through the coil and measure the resistance that way. The PSU with the printer was 19V but even that seems a little on the low side. Nothing obvious on the board that would step up the voltage but will take a closer look.

I don't mind 24V, it's just I wouldn't be happy about doing that without a 5V coil relay in place to cut the mains feed to the 24V PSU. So 24V means 24V PSU, relay, and a 5V PSU. With that I'd be looking at fusing strategy and maybe a re-wire to move away from what looks like very small CSA ribon cable feeding the heater cartridges.
August 23, 2017 03:37AM
This project is still running. I've got the system running on an ATX PSU at the moment but the bed heater is as expected woefully underpowered. In addition my shot from the hip on speeds and accelerations was overkill and resulted in many missed steps when I fired a build file at it stripped of all heat and extrusion commands.

As it is a closed system with binary file formats the required acceleration and speed settings have been hard to come by. I've recently come across a project on GitHub about these machines and now have the following speed settings:

Scan Speed: 14mm/sec = 840mm/min
Support Speed: 50mm/sec = 3000mm/min
Hatch Speed: 45mm/sec = 2700mm/min
Jump Speed: 150mm/sec = 9000mm/min

Not tested the above yet, and still need to configure acceleration and jerk speeds. I'll be looking for on line guides on stepper/motion parameter tuning but any recommended guides would be appreciated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2017 03:38AM by WesBrooks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login