Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best filament for taking photos?

Posted by briangilbert 
Best filament for taking photos?
July 05, 2017 01:54AM
Hi all

Just wondering if I could get some recommendations about filaments that photograph particularly well, or setup for getting photographs without too much reflection from lighting?

Here is one I printed last night, but as you can see the filament reflects light more than I'd like which obscures the smoothness of the print and more or less hides the quality of the surface.

(Model from: [cults3d.com])

Printed on my heavily rebuilt BI V2.5 Delta using eSun Silver PLA and the Zesty Nimble Extruder with 0.2mm height layers and 15% infill.

Cheers
Brian

Co-creator of the Zesty Nimble, worlds lightest direct drive extruder.
[zesty.tech]
Re: Best filament for taking photos?
July 05, 2017 02:51AM
Don't know about a filament that is more or less photogenic but light control should make them better (I am a photographer). Try to prevent direct light by blocking it with a piece of paper or tissue paper, just hold it over the object and look at it from where you want to shoot and move the paper around until you see the hot spots disappear. Also an overcast day is great for shooting outside as it makes the light more even.

A trick I use to photograph silver jewelry on white is to use a black piece of felt near the object just out of range of the camera and on the side where there are hot spots (too much light reflected).

A matt filament would show less hot spots as well, you can also get a product called dulling spray that is clear but kind of frosted and it's used to make really shiny objects look more matt and thus easier to photograph.

Hope this helps
July 05, 2017 10:02PM
@tmorris9 thanks.. *goes to look into making a light box*
July 06, 2017 08:11AM
Matt grey would be my recommendation and the light box sure makes a difference. I help my other half photograph her products which are nickel plated jewellery and very shiny and placing the object in a box with diffuse lighting works well. Thanks for the tip with the black card to dull the hotspots tmorris9 thats a gem.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login